WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Do you need credentials for English tutoring? If so, what kind?

jessupsamuel
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
It depends on a number of factors, such as if you're working for yourself or for a company. If you work for yourself, you can market yourself as a native English speaker. Some tutoring companies require various levels of English teacher certifications (TEFL/TESL/CELTA, etc.) Others want you to have a bachelor's degree (perhaps from a country where English is the predominant langauge). Some don't care about education, just that you are a native English speaker, or that you are nearly-native in your speaking abilities. Some want you to have had experience teaching ESL in some capacity, and others may want you to have online ESL or online tutoring experience. Some others may want you to have a combination of all of these.

davidogden
09-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Do you need credentials for English tutoring? If so, what kind?

It all depends on how good your English is, when I lived in Malaysia I got a part time job teaching English to a group of Korean children, as a native speaker my English was better than the local Malaysian teachers, In my past I did however spend a year at a teacher training college learning to teach outdoor pursuits, but that is another story.

As the previous person has posted there is training you can take to get certified, it is very much up to you.

Where were you thinking of teaching ?

kbaker4v
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I have helped many people start teaching online. Basically, the more you know the more you can make.

TheGateKeeper
12-17-2011, 10:15 AM
There are some companies I have seen which will employ you without credentials... but most of them will ask for it.

leanderson
01-01-2012, 07:28 AM
There is a place called Learn Language & Teach Language on Online Video Chat Platform ? Languagespirit (http://www.languagespirit.com) that I have worked for in the past for some extra money. They accept native english speakers for conversational practice with a person working to improve their english skills. The gig pays $12 an hour and can be done full or part time. I am not sure if they are still hiring. The demands of my job got to be too much for me to continue with LS but I did make a few hundred dollars working with them. You are paid by Paypal for the work you do and payouts can really help with cashflow issues. I have not seen their ad recently so I am not sure if they are still accepting teachers.

LEAnderson

jiminic2
01-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Many tutoring companies require a college degree. Others do not; only that you are willing to tutor kids. If you go out on your own, you can market your skills at a lower rate than the tutoring companies charge and keep all the money.