WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Best job for military spouse?

carolinearmacost
04-17-2011, 05:09 PM
What do all of you military wives do? One of the reasons I wanted to become a WAHM was because it made sense being a Marine wife. What about yall? ;)

carahayden
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I read your post....I have about 8 or 9 gals on my team that are military wives. I am a Team Mentor with Tastefully Simple.

Have you ever heard of us?? I would love to send you more info :)

Cara Hayden
Team Mentor

bellajessa
04-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I am apart of playgroups. Most moms are military wifes and work from home. Best choice as they are busy and move around a lot :)

Tracidb80
04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi and if you need some help, let me know what type of work you are looking for. I can point you in some good directions. Just PM me.

AbsolutelySpicy
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi there,

A lot of military spouse work from home with MLM company, direct sales company or affiliate marketing. Most of them ship to APO addresses.
You have a lot of Biz opportunity out there, it will depend in what kind of area you would rather work: health, jewelry, house goods, bath & body products... There are tons available!

kristenn
05-07-2011, 09:10 AM
What do all of you military wives do? One of the reasons I wanted to become a WAHM was because it made sense being a Marine wife. What about yall? ;)

Being an Army wife, I have had to find a "job" that worked around my three kids schedules and allowed me to still have time to go to their school functions and field trips. I definately wanted to create my own hours and set my own pay. I have joined Initials Inc. and am able to have most of my business done online. If my schedule allows, I love having home parties and occasionally have some parties on the go. It has been luctritive so far and been a blessing not having to quit my job just because we move. I love that I am able to contribute to my family and work from home. If you would like any information about the company I am with, I'd love to send it to you via email or mail. I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.

Kristen Newman *Initials-Inc. Creative Partner*

MamaHen
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I have 4 military wives on my team and R+F seems to be working well for them. :)
PM if you would like to know more.

Katie La - One24
05-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I work for a MLM company, One24, mostly because it's one of the few that doesn't make you sell anything, or host parties. It's convenient for me AND for my family. I can advertise online while my baby naps, and since my husband is gone a lot, it keeps me busy! It's a win-win! I've been doing it for a few months now and it's totally been worth the time and effort.

Hopefully you find something you enjoy!

Katie

WineTastingWithAmy
06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Hello! I have found that when you pick what you love...cliche' or not, you find a way to make everything else work. My spouse is ex-military, however, when we did move around the country or I needed to take care of my son when he was a baby, I always found the resources I needed when I had to work from my home or leave him to go to work. I was determined to set my schedule up around my hubby and always tried to have a back-up sitter or when money was tighter, a friend or neighbor I trusted that I could call on. I use this same tactic now that my son is older and my spouse has been home with us for many years.

Cheers! Amy

smallangels
06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I am an Air Force wife who has two craft shops online through Artfire, and one through Zibbet. But I am also a Heritage Makers Consultant. One thing I love about Heritage Makers is that it doesnt take up any room. Being in the military and moving this is a huge plus. It is a digital scrapbooking company that also offers digital back up of your photos creations, and business supplies. It isnt saved to your laptop, so no worry of computer crashes losing your work. The basic kit right now is a 50.00 sign up and 25.00 credit towards your first projects. You can also just sign up for a basic account for free, play around with the fonts and only pay for the finished project if you want to order anything.

BarbB
06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi:

Network Marketing is one of the best ways to work from home as a military wife because you can do it no matter where you move to (unless the company isn't out of the USA).

I'm from Baltimore by the way and only live about 30 minutes from there now.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Susan Holloway
06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I agree with Barb that network marketing is a great choice for those in the military. We actually have an affiliate who is operating his business and also recruiting while in Afghanistan. There are lots of soldiers in the military that want to work a business when they retire from active duty. With TriVita they will be blessed with a residual income in addition to their military retirement income. It's a win win situation!

~Susan~

achieveyourdreams
07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi,

It is true that those in the military and many who are coming home will be coming home to 'looking for a job'. I agree that the internet is the way to go. There are many good opportunities out there and it is good to know that many are becoming successful.

I just came across what I think is the best of the best and I have been involved in many internet programs. Nothing compares to this. Even countries like South Korea are seeing the value of this program and are coming in droves. It is put together by successful people who really care about others. They offer all kinds of help.

I am learning a lot from the two seniors who are going wild with it. One is 78 years old. It is perfect for stay-at-home-moms, college students, even a homeless person. If anyone is interested in finding out more, PM me and I will be glad to show you more. I know it is helping so many people change their lives. A real blessing.

emberhomemade
08-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Was browsing the forums and was very excited to come across the military spouse one. My husband is a traditional reservist and also works for the DOD so fun times. I never went and searched out other wives often because I always felt excluded since as reservists we don't have the moving around part of the military. However that happy little dillusional life came crashing down when he got deployed. (ust re-read that and I didn't mean it to sound bad, my apologies. Most of my friends and family are military so I meant I never sought out support from people outside of that group. When he was shipped out, however...

My son has a heart defect so I couldn't put him in daycare to work so I looked to working from home. I'm not good with selling things, but I can write. So...here we are. Not really a buisiness, but I do get up at 0540 to crave some quiet time out of the day before the minions wake up.

Amy Jacobs
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
since you like to write check out this folder WAHMs Who Write - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (http://www.wahm.com/forum/wahms-who-write-46/) for other types of job leads check out Telecommuting Moms - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (http://www.wahm.com/forum/telecommuting-moms-34/)

good luck to all of you & thank you for all you sacrifice!

Wishing you all the best :)

~Amy

*In*2*Win*
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
When I first married, my dh was in the Air Force. We moved almost right away. I was so bored! I had trouble finding a "job" as no one wanted to hire me knowing we would probably move within two years.

What I like about the business I do is you can take it on the road with you and keep your customer base.

Bonnie
:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

starbirdy66
08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
The best job is always the work at home job. My husband works for the Navy and sometimes gets sent on long trips (he is away right now) and I'm happier home than I ever was commuting, even with the late or early hours I sometimes have to work. Shaving off a couple hours on the road means a lot when there are kids and a household to manage on your own.

*In*2*Win*
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
How true Birdy! How true.
I spent my first 2 married years in the Philippines - we could not even afford to CALL home.... I was all of 18 years old and OH so homesick!

Gotta stay busy!
Bonnie
:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

fabfitmama
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I am a military wife too with 4 kids and agree that network marketing / direct sales is the best opportunity for us out there. I love it! I have been with a few direct sales companies, beauticontrol, beachbody and now with Beyond Organic. You can take your business with you wherever you go and it is a great way to meet other people in your area. Some of my best friends now have come from network marketing.

KayMaxim
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I have a suggestion. What about starting some sort of computer based business. You can run it no matter where you live and can move many times and still keep the business going. There are a lot of ways to work on the computer. For free information, check out Erictips.com. On one of his free lessons he goes into some of the different kinds of internet businesses.

carahayden
11-11-2011, 05:04 AM
I am so excited!!!! Tastefully Simple just changed it's business policy and NOW all military stationed overseas and living on a US military base CAN become a Tastefully Simple Consultant and conduct business on base as well as through their website to all friends and family in the US as well!!!! They can also recruit and build a team while on base!!!

This is a HUGE announcement.....Contact me if you want more details. I have an amazing team of 108 women all over the US and YES, one in Korea. We have sooooo many military wives on our team too!!!!

I can't wait to share it with you!!!

BethInHarmony
01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Work at home jobs are definitely popular with military spouses. I have done/do virtual call centers and transcription, both would be great for military spouses, as long as you are able to work within the US. PM me if you want more information. There are so many reasons that work at home works for so many people, so I would definitely check out the forum for a lot of options.

Beth

BrendaB
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I've sold Avon at every Base we were stationed at and now that my Hubby is retired I still sell Avon and I'm the Admin Assistant for a District Sales Manager with Avon.

Brenda

Meli
03-01-2012, 08:30 AM
If you're interested in a business with NO saturation and a Uniqe product (nothing like it on the market), then I invite you to take a LOOK at It Works! (name of the company).

Our flagship product is The Ultimate Body Applicator.
Body Wraps with Tone, Tighten & Firm in as little as 45 minutes!
Detoxes the fat cells through a process called Lipolysis.
REAL, Long Lasting Results!

See Before & After pics.

empoweredmom
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
You may want to consider a direct sales company. You can be based anywhere, and with a military background, you'll constantly be surrounded by new people. That may be a good fit for you. It's something you could use as a long standing career without having to constantly start over. WE have military family members and I know how rough it can be. My company also has armed forces and vinyl car decals for supporting our troops. Plus, they can be customized. Good luck to you!

Slumber Parties By Casey
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Most of my team are military wives and they love slumber parties! I'm more than happy to talk to you more about it!

Slumber Parties By Casey
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Plus we are international! We have wives out in japan!

queenofbaskets
03-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Working from home would be the best job for military spouse. Try La Bella Baskets at Home (http://www.abasket4-u.biz) and Xpress Healthcare at sabrina.xpressabo.com/go2/

msuggitt
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
That's whats so cool about the Internet today, it has leveled the playing ground for people such as yourself because so much work is done online.

Whether you work a job or start a business, start by looking through the folders to see how others are making money at home. Basically, if it can be sold, it will be sold online, so no matter where your interest lies, there is someone, somewhere making money off it.:)

Surf all the folders and check out signatures - that is how I got hooked up with some money making gems in my portfolio.

Ehitz
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey! I'll send you a PM too, but I'm an AF wife (who is currently in the middle of a PCS). I think working at home is really the greatest thing you could do for your family. What a lot of non military spouses don't realize is how much time your spouse's career is going to take up of your time too. And when they come home they are usually so zapped that you end up having to do all the house work as well.

I started with Ameriplan because of the company support and the commission percentage. Plus they were running a promotional rate to join which I loved. I just knew that I didn't want to throw parties or have to deal with inventory like makeup or kitchen stuff.... Everything I do is online.

I hope to talk to you soon!!

Warm Regards,
Evelyn

kellys
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
And yes definitely working from home! Alot more flexibility!

JoanMitchell123
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
My friend who is a military wife performs inbound customer service, from home, through Arise Virtual Solutions. She has been doing it for about 2 years and she loves it. The pay is great, the hours are flexible and since she works completely virtual she can work wherever her DH gets stationed..

MothersOnAMission
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I have been with the same team and business for 11 years, helping MANY military families (my spouse was Coastguard)...but I think it's the PERFECT biz b/c it moves with you....and is not tied to your geographic location ! :) This has been our families' primary income for 8 years...and SUCH flexibility with a big family and moving a lot ! No MLM for sure...after researching them (and being in 1 for a little while...not a sound choice)
Michelle Elizer
MothersOnAMission.com

disneygal84
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I am a AF Wife currently stationed at McGuire AFB NJ. I am interested in finding a legit company/business that allows me to work from home. At the moment I am not that interested in sales (avon, pampered chef, tupperware...) Due to the start up costs and the fact that so many people are selling w/ these companies. Possibly at a later date, because I love (papmered chef, 31 bags, slumber parties....) I am an avid crafter and currently work w/ NEC and SonRise Greetings, but I am looking to make more money! I also am going to start working on Diciples Cross again. I love to crochet & cross-stitch, I can also quilt and do a little sewing. If anyone is looking for assistance in any of those areas, I would be interested. If anyone has any info that could help me out I would appreciate it! Thanks!

UTBly07
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
MyCAA is great, but since they changed the qualifications, a lot of people don't qualify! I am a teacher and thought I was going to be able to use the money to get my National Board Certification. I found out after I submitted all of my paperwork that even though the NBC website said I'd qualify, I didn't.

I love what I do and I'm glad that my job, for the most part, is somewhat portable. It's always hard to start over when we PCS, but sometimes a new place and new students is refreshing!

happymommyandwife
09-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I just started working with Ameriplan. Helping people save money and helping people make money!

We are stationed in a small town and of course, there is major competition for jobs! Military spouses don't really have the upper hand because we can be given orders at any time!

I'm sure you guys know how that is!

BrandiM
09-20-2012, 04:36 PM
I just started affiliate marketing and it is absolutely the best job for work at home moms... Especially us military wives! With constant shift changes and deployments you can take this job anywhere. This is not a scam. Not a pyramid scheme. No MLM or buying tons of inventory and trying to book parties.

Visit my website takeyourjobwithyou.ws for your information. You can email me at anyitme. Make $100-$300 a day. My sponsor made $8,000.00 last month!

This is real and it is my goal and passion to help military wive be able to stay at home and earn money taking care of the ones they love!

Angieb703
10-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm newbie here. I was actually searching site for some info for one of my friend and came across this topic. I will say for any WAHM, SAHM becoming a Beachbody Coach would be great! B/c active military men/women and/or their spouses can start up and run their business for FREE no signup fee or monthly fees while they are active.

I think its a great Win-Win, for military families looking for supplemental income & staying fit while their spouse is deployed to keep the body and mind in good spirits and help.
Should look into it. I know several women that have 6 figures after 2-3yrs living in Japan, Hawaii and other small islands doing great while husbands been deployed.

Yes, I am a Coach but my husband no longer in military. But I have been growing my biz since Nov '11. I really didnt "Start" treating it like a business till early Spring '12 and so far so good.

Beth Guerra
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I am a retired military wife and all my children are grown. We always lived in base housing and I had three kids. So I did home childcare. I could stay home with the kids and help pay the bills. Now I still work at home, but doing something much different. I'm helping people with medical and dental benefits and teaching others to do what I do. If this sparks your interest, then you can click on my signature line for more info. I do want to wish you the best in whatever you decide to do! Like someone posted earlier.....do what you love. :)

Maeve
12-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I am a AF Wife currently stationed at McGuire AFB NJ. I am interested in finding a legit company/business that allows me to work from home. At the moment I am not that interested in sales (avon, pampered chef, tupperware...) Due to the start up costs and the fact that so many people are selling w/ these companies. Possibly at a later date, because I love (papmered chef, 31 bags, slumber parties....) I am an avid crafter and currently work w/ NEC and SonRise Greetings, but I am looking to make more money! I also am going to start working on Diciples Cross again. I love to crochet & cross-stitch, I can also quilt and do a little sewing. If anyone is looking for assistance in any of those areas, I would be interested. If anyone has any info that could help me out I would appreciate it! Thanks!

What are NEC and SonRise? I love crafting and really want to get involved in something like that!

DebraJB
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I've been an air force wife for 15 years & I think any job that can travel with you that you love is the job for you. Find your passion & run with it. I know lots of wives that have home daycare (gotta love them & God bless them because I couldn't do it), but most wives I know have a home based business like myself. In my opinion, you want to find a direct sales business that is new where you can get in on the ground level so you don't have thousands of consultants to compete with. You can have the opportunity to create your own branches to your tree. Do some research if you haven't already. Why work for someone else 9-5 when you can work at home in your pjs, take vacations whenever you want, earn trips, get raises, & most important, become part of a family with long lasting friendships. I've got a great home based business for ya if you're interested

DamselProAmberLaBee
02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I think the best job for a military spouse really depends on the person! It is good to find something that can move with you though, thats why many choose home businesses. I am currently going to school to be a marriage and family counselor so if my husband decides to stay in it is going to be tough for me to change locations often. He hasn't really decided on staying in though, but if he does we will address the problems when they come up! Right now I am selling Damsel In Defense and I enjoy it! We just moved across the country and I didn't have any problems with trying to move my business from one place to the other.

vemmamom
03-03-2013, 09:17 AM
I am not a military wife but our company works with many who are as the opportunity we have is global. Some have named this opportunity Operation Freedom. I'd be happy to share information if you want it. Best of luck to you!

KNicholls
03-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm not a military spouse, but a military brat. My mother worked with a direct sales company the entire time I was growing up, well starting about when I was in middle school. She did really well with it. Now I find myself doing the same thing, even though I was pretty sure I never wanted to do that. Mom was deaf and we had to do all of her phone calls for her parties with her business.

For many years, I was in the medical transcription industry and we promoted that as a great opportunity for spouses. I don't know too many who had a lot of success with it being as portable as they needed, however, which always made me sad.

Our company does have folks all over including on the military bases. I really just dropped in here to say hello because now that I'm an adult I see so much more what my mom did as a military spouse and your service and sacrifice always have a place in my heart. Thanks!

sweetheart09
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I've been a military spouse for close to 4 years now. I worked as a phone bank operator for a few months and now I'm working as a test scorer for an education company.

I am looking for a work at home job that I can use my degree on. I don't know what I could venture out on my own with since I don't have much experience in any industry. :( I don't do good with MLM, direct sales,etc.

sallyv
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
I have been a military spouse for 15 yrs. I have a Master's degree, but I don't use it or apply it to my work. Since my hobby or interest was fitness (my degree is not in fitness), I decided to become a fitness coach. It has helped me stay accountable with my own eating and workout habits. It's motivating when people ask me for help and I can help them.........and I get paid to workout and help others workout!....There is no selling. I am a product of the product. People always ask what I did to get fit or lose weight......If you want more info, message me!

lisabathome
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Find a direct sales company that you love and go for it! I have done very well with my business at each of our different duty stations.

niceguy2584
05-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Hello, my name is Andre Jones and I am a Professional trainer and recruiter for Ameriplan which is a discount health benefits company we provide healthcare to are over 2 million members and counting. before I found this company I had been looking for work for months having no luck I was specifically looking for a work at home position because I was just paying way too much to get back and forth to work with gas being as high as it is and I was also eating out for lunch everyday and what I realized is that I was actually working to eat out and buy gas lol. Crazy I know. when I found this company I said okay I'm just going to do this part time and see how it goes and after a while I started to generate some good income so I decided to do it full time now I know this is the last job and I'm ever going to have. above anything else my number one goal is to help people because people need help today especially in the workforce there are no jobs and the ones that are out their dont pay enough. I have my own business and I'm doing pretty well and I want to help other people do the same you can visit my website and request an interview and I could get back to you I really want to help as many people become successful as possible because I know you're sick of not having any money just like I was.<br />

JulieACE
06-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm an Army Wife and also the owner of a mystery shopping company. Mystery shopping is an EXCELLENT fit for all military spouses. You don't have to worry about finding that perfect job, only to be sent to the other end of the planet. When mystery shopping, all you have to do is update your address with the companies you shop for and you can pick up where you left off as soon as you get settled. You do have to be careful of scams - just a few quick tips:

1) If the job sounds too good to be true, it probably is. (i.e. promise of making $20-100 per hour). Mystery shopping is great for some extra cash and free meals but it's not something you will get rich doing. It is hard work.

2) If the company is offering to pay you up front, it's definitely a scam! We reimburse our shoppers after they complete the assignment. We also don't ask them to wire any funds back to us. (That's the Nigerian check scam there!)

3) Trust your instinct! Never pay to become a shopper.

If anyone would like help, let me know and I would be glad to point them into the right direction.

Julie