WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : New Here-Question

MegB
03-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi all...I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time. :)
I have a question about online tutoring...I've been considering it because I need to make more money (I stay home with 2 small boys). I have experience with teaching ESL, but my certification has expired. Still, I think I can get on somewhere by having a degree.
Could anyone tell me about the work consistency with online tutoring? I'm wondering if I would sign up for "shifts" and then have no-shows and wasted efforts. Are you consistently working/earning with online tutoring, and how many hours do you usually get?
I've applied at Idapted and I'm looking at other options, since they said it takes 6 weeks to hear back, if at all.
Any help or feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Meg

jennm1484
03-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Meg,

I work, at minimum, 35 hours a week teaching ESL. It's definitely stable work. If you have experience, it might be in your best interest to try companies like ISUS, GoFluent, or Alancity. Idapted and Tutorabc, while helpful for extra income, can be a bit dull as you're following their lesson plans and scripts.

Cheers,
Jenn