WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

LindsayR
11-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I currently work for another direct sales company that sells home interior items. I'm thinking of switching to Scentsy bc I feel my friends would be more interested & able to afford more of the products. I'm on my late 20s & have been struggling with the company pretty much since i started two years ago. I was wondering if someone can send me some information on the company. I greatly appreciate it!

christyvw2004
11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
How much does it cost to get started?
A. It’s $99 plus tax and shipping to order your Starter Kit.

Q. What does the Starter Kit include?
A. Everything you need to do your first Scent Event: 100 order forms, 100 invitations, 100 business cards, 50 catalogs, 1 Warmer, 1 Car Candle (air freshener), 1 Room Spray, 5 Hostess fliers, a yearly planner, Consultant Handbook binder (the policies and procedures are available to read or print online), 4 replacement light bulbs and 1 set of full size party testers (scent samples).

Q. How much do I have to sell to stay active?
A. $150 in retail sales every three months (must be $150 in sales in one month)

Q. How much money can I make?
A. You can earn 20-39% on your own sales and leadership bonuses of up to 9% of the entire down line volume of the people you recruit and train to sell Scentsy products.
Q. Do I have to buy a lot of inventory and keep it stocked to do parties?
A. No. You can if you want but you don’t have to. You order the products on your consultant workstation when customers order from you.

Q. How can I sell Scentsy?
A. ScentEvents (Home Parties), SampleEvents (Basket Parties) - these are catalog parties with small scent samples your hostess can take to work, Bunko, Bowling, Family gatherings, or wherever to show and collect orders, website orders and re-orders, Fairs/Expos, etc. Check the handbook for complete information. Selling Scentsy through online auctions (Ebay) or through retail establishments is not permitted.

Q. How do I get paid commission and bonuses?
A. You collect the retail price (plus tax* and shipping** if applicable) from customers and pay the retail price when you enter the order. Scentsy sends you commission and bonus checks on the 10th of each month. You will receive a check for your commission & bonus for the total sales you and your team (if applicable) made during the previous month. (You must sell $500 in the previous month to qualify for the leadership bonus).NEW—no longer send you check—now put on a Paycard and you can use like a DC or just transfer to your bank account.
* The tax rate is based on the zip code where the order will be shipped. Most orders will be shipped to you so check with your local state or county government to find out what your tax rate is (sometimes there is more than one tax rate for an area so check which one is for non-food items). If an order will be shipped to someone’s home directly, charge the tax rate for that destination.
Q. What payment types can I accept from customers? Are there credit card processing fees?
A. You can accept personal or business checks made payable to you, cash or credit cards (American Express, Visa, Discover, Master Card). Consultants do not pay credit card processing fees.

Q. Do I have to pay for all of the rewards a hostess gets for having a party?
A. NEW—no charge as long as guest/you use all the half off items—even if it is a $1 lightbulb.
Q. What do I do if I have a question?
A. Read the handbook as soon as you sign up. It’s available in the Business Builders section of your consultant workstation. It answers most questions but you can always call me if you want something clarified. Q. How often are the products and catalogs updated?
A. Twice a year in March and September. Consultants can purchase the new catalogs and scent samples in February and August when the new and discontinued products are announced.
Q. Can I have my own Scentsy web site?
A. Yes. Online sales and reorders are a big part of our business. You can subscribe to a Scentsy sponsored website so clients can order and reorder whenever it’s convenient for them. Your website subscription is free for the first three months after you sign up and $10 a month after that.Q. Great! How do I sign up to be a consultant?
A. You sign up through my Scentsy website https://christyv.scentsy.us
Click on Start a Business and once you’ve agreed to the terms and conditions and paid for your starter kit, a consultant number will be assigned to you. Scentsy will then contact you through email and give you a URL for your personal Scentsy website where customers can begin ordering.
christyv.scentsy.us

Lexilou
11-07-2010, 06:07 AM
I think Christy pretty much covered everything. Good luck with watever you decide to do! If you do decide to go with Scentsy, you are in for the ride of your life! I have been a consultant for a little over a year (working at it part-time) and it's just the best decision I have ever made. You can do as little or as much as you want. Everyone on here is very helpfull if you have any problems. Good luck!

bcylab
11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Yep, Christy summed it all up. Sweet and simple.

I also have been a consultant for just over a year part-time and love it. I wish I start 2 years ago when I went with a different company and struggled for over a year with it. Then I started and it has been wonderful ever since.

Good luck on your decision. We are always available for help. Everyone lady on here is amazing and we all have differenet ideas. :p

JAngus
11-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I am brand new--haven't even received my starter kit yet--but I can already tell that this is a great business. I've done a couple of others before, and this is by far much better than they were.

cinnabunch
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not with Scentsy but I know many reps and if the ones I know arn't reps, they are bookin parties. Scentsy is growing like crazy I I think it may be a good idea for you if you like party plans and direct sales.

lrstith
11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Everyone here is exactly right! I joined Scentsy 2 yrs ago and have not regretted it for a minute!! This is an amazing company and is growing by leaps and bounds!!
Goodluck with your decision!!

DebraFerrie
11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Candles and melts are consumable and affordable which is great for sales!

Best wishes to you

LindsayR
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your posts, pm's & emails. I do have a few questions...
1. What is your average party sales?
2. Do you have any monthly customer sales, extra incentives when a customer orders so much, or booking gifts?
3. Do you have to order your business supplies (ie business cards, labels, etc) through the company website? Currently I use Vistaprint for all my supplies & love it. So much cheaper than most company sites.
4. Is there really a deadline on when to submit orders once a party is held?
5. After getting your starter kit, how much do you spend in other supplies or extra business supplies?
6. Do you send out your own invitations for the parties?
7. How much website sales & referrals do you get?
8. How much emphasis is fundraising in your business? The company I work for now gives 50% in profits, how do you market your fundrasier against another company that gives more?
9. How often do scents & warmers change & you need to order in the new products?

I think that's all for now. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see if this is the right fit for me.
Thanks in advance
Lindsay

christyvw2004
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you all for your posts, pm's & emails. I do have a few questions...
1. What is your average party sales?-------Hard to say...mine have ranched from $200 to $800.
2. Do you have any monthly customer sales, extra incentives when a customer orders so much, or booking gifts?--------10% off the warmer and scent of the month each month. Booking gifts are up to the consultant but most give previous hostesses a half off item at parties booked from theirs.
3. Do you have to order your business supplies (ie business cards, labels, etc) through the company website? Currently I use Vistaprint for all my supplies & love it. So much cheaper than most company sites.---------I print my own labels. I have ordered some things from Vistaprint also. Anything that uses our Scentsy logo you will need to get permission from Scentsy. I also order items from our company. So I would say a combination of all of these.
4. Is there really a deadline on when to submit orders once a party is held? ---There is a deadline once a show closes I believe.
5. After getting your starter kit, how much do you spend in other supplies or extra business supplies?--------I have only been doing this for a year....So once I purchased my kit in August I did not spend anything more until new catalogs came out in Feb...O I did purchase some avery label forms to print off info to put on my catalogs and business cards.
6. Do you send out your own invitations for the parties?------no
7. How much website sales & referrals do you get?--------here again only been doing a year....but enough to justify paying the $10 fee we are charged after our free 3 mths....I always tell my recuites see what you get the first 3 mths and if it doesnt seem to do much for you --drop it.
8. How much emphasis is fundraising in your business? The company I work for now gives 50% in profits, how do you market your fundrasier against another company that gives more?----sorry havent done one.
9. How often do scents & warmers change & you need to order in the new products? ------We have two catalogs per year. The change over doesnt really effect me for warmers as I don't keep a lot on hand---and what I do have I show at vendor events for sale. For the scents same thing---but I do order the "new" scents testers to have for shows.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see if this is the right fit for me.
Thanks in advance
Lindsay

Lindsay, I did try and give you my answers for your questions. Hope they are somewhat helpful. Good luck.
http://christyv.scentsy.us

imamomagain
11-10-2010, 05:15 AM
One thing about having the website is if you are telling your recruits to drop it, they won't be able to build a team. You need to subscribe to the website in order to recruit...

JAngus
11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
A few things I thought I would input:

4. Is there really a deadline on when to submit orders once a party is held?
From what I understand, parties cannot be open for more than 2 weeks.

5. After getting your starter kit, how much do you spend in other supplies or extra business supplies?
The kit has everything you need to get started, but if you want to hit the ground running, you may need to buy a few more things like the mini testers, a vinyl car sticker, and some labels for the black business cards and to put on your merchandise before delivering it. But those things aren't absolutely necessary, just a good idea in my opinion.

6. Do you send out your own invitations for the parties?
There is a way online that you can do evites to parties, but the hostess is responsible for handing out or mailing out the postcards.

7. How much website sales & referrals do you get?
The website is a good way to do business, especially these days when so much business is done by Internet. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary. You can pay for the Scentsy website, or you can do one on your own and have it approved by Scentsy. You can have lots of sales and recruits without a website, though--I guess it just depends on how you prefer to do business.

8. How much emphasis is fundraising in your business? The company I work for now gives 50% in profits, how do you market your fundrasier against another company that gives more?
Fundraising is a good way to get your name out there and get sales; however, it is strictly up to you how much profit the organization makes. What you give back to them comes from you, not from Scentsy. I have one starting up next week in which I will give up my 20% profit, but since I'm just starting, it will be a good way to get my name out there. Plus, I will get the free things that would come to the hostess. In comparing it to other companies, I would stress that Scentsy is a quality product--most fundraiser orders I've gotten were junk and way overpriced. I will do the delivering to the school, and even sort out the orders for them. They don't have to buy anything upfront, so they don't have anything to lose.

Hope that helps some!

Janey

http://janeyangus.scentsy.us

brendal
11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
1. What is your average party sales? Party sales average around $400 or more in my experience
2. Do you have any monthly customer sales, extra incentives when a customer orders so much, or booking gifts? 1/2 price items for booking gifts, bonuses for consultants when they reach a certain amount in sales, training bonuses if recruits meet a certain level of Scentsational Start, $150 parties begin earning hostess rewards from 10-15% + 1-4 half price items.
3. Do you have to order your business supplies (ie business cards, labels, etc) through the company website? You can order business supplies from Scentsy Success or design your own supplies. Some things may need to be approved by Scentsy.
4. Is there really a deadline on when to submit orders once a party is held? Two weeks because customers are usually waiting on their orders.
5. After getting your starter kit, how much do you spend in other supplies or extra business supplies? I personally spent $100 in extra business supplies, but that was because I wanted to. Your starter kit supplies everything you need to get started. The Scentsy forums offer low cost ideas for your business as well.
6. Do you send out your own invitations for the parties? You can send out the invitations or your host(ess) can. There is also an e-vite option for inviting people to the parties.
7. How much website sales & referrals do you get? I'm very new to Scentsy so have only had 2 referrals/sales.
8. How much emphasis is fundraising in your business? The company I work for now gives 50% in profits, how do you market your fundrasier against another company that gives more? Scentsy products are offered at a higher price point than many other companies. Fundraiser % is offered at the consultants discretion. There is some training information on fundraisers and how they can benefit your business in the Scentsy workstation. I have my first fundraiser going right now and am very excited about how it's going. There are some great bonuses and incentives for giving to a fundraiser. I believe it's totally worthwhile.
9. How often do scents & warmers change & you need to order in the new products? Twice a year in February and August. Scentsy also offers a warmer and scent of the month that can be purchased at a 10% discount. They also do promotions like November's Newborn Nursery or January's Bring Back My Bar where they bring back discontinued favorites.

Hope this helps you in making your decision!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1