WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Open House

pookeybearsmom
03-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Heres an idea to work the biz. This is an idea I got from Shep and I am really excited about it and I am going to make this my primary business focus. Shep asked me about doing home parties and I said that I hated home parties and that why I left my last company but he told me a different way to approach things and I love it!!

Ok, you have (or your hostess) has an open house. You just say come anytime between 2-4 (or whatever time), children welcome. Then you light one jar candle in thier living room (or main room of thier house) and one votive in thier bathroom. Then you will have ordered 2-3 cases of twelve scents that sell well. Then you get the bars and sell them too. You just sit by the candle and wait. People will come up and talk to you and you just have conversations with them and intro the candles, and the business and all of that and I can take the baby with me and its more like a bunch of friends getting together rather than giving a speech or playing games or anything "formal".

Also, then you don't have to take orders, you just sell what you have on hand.

I love this idea! I can't wait! I am going to have my own open house soon! I especially love that I started this business to spend time with Erin and now she can be a part of things instead of me not spending time with her in order to work on the business. I was missing out on her in order to build a business that allowed me to spend to time with her. It didn't make sense.

I know this idea might not be for everyone but it really excited me!smileys/smiley1.gif

UNcommonScents
03-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Heather-

Isn't Shep great? Thanks for sharing this excellent tip, and for spreading
your excitement- it comes through strongly in your post, and it is
contageous! Keep that genuine excitement burning, (ha!) and your
business will really take off.

I agree with you- one of the aspects of this company that attracted me
from the start is how family-oriented they are, and how easy it is to get
the whole family involved. I have one new partner who is going to send
her 5 year old and her 12 year old out selling door-to-door with votives
in ribbon-tied votive holders for the next couple of weeks, as mother's
day gifts. Who can resist two little door to door sales gentlemen? (She is
going to dress them in SUITS- I love it!) I told her to take PICTURES and
write up a story about it- can't you see this as a newsletter feature? I
LOVE it!

The possibilites with Mia Bella are only limited by your imagination. I
can't wait to hear how well your open house goes- here's to your Success!

Sincerely, --Kitt

In all you do, CHOOSE Success!

ezhobby
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Ah - you beat me to it! smileys/smiley2.gif

I've had the Open House idea for a few weeks now. Mostly because we just moved into a new neighborhood and I thought it would be a great way to introduce ourselves (and products!) to our neighbors.

I was thinking of the same set-up - one jar lit in the living room, one votive in the bathroom, and brochures and scent samples on the dining room table. Coffee brewing, a few sweets put out.

We have community mail boxes here so I would put up flyers or posters a week prior at the mail boxes where EVERYONE on our block stops up to fives times a week.

We also live one house down from the community park so everyone on our block walks past our house to go to the park. With our front door wide open (the cats in the basement!), a SOCP jar burning in the living room,and a "Gourmet Candle Open House" or a "Meet the Neighbors Open House" sign, we could do this on several sunny Saturday afternoons with very little effort. I just have to keep the house clean!

Anyone tried this kind of Open House technique before?

Blessings,

Vicki

lovethiscandle
03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I have done a couple open houses at my home, but not at a hostess's home. I think it could be very similar. It works much better for people to work around their schedule. I usually do two days just in case.

I have my sample bag set up on the dining table and my candles are displayed on a book shelf nearby. My votives I have outon a table along with brochures,scent samples, fundraiser info, COTM info, etc on the table with the soaps/pillars/bella buns.

People reallygocrazy over our sample bag! I am glad I made the investment - it really helps!

At my last open house I signed up a neighbor and she signed up her friend she brought with her smileys/smiley4.gifNeedless to say it was a great open house.

Be prepared for less than a third of invited people to show - it is just a typical average. Most people know me, and will order when they are ready. I find that new friends I have met are more likely to come because it is new.

Thank goodness for kids signing up for new sports and school activities - I meet new people everyday!

Great idea for a hostess - I will have to try it!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1