WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Can I sell samples?

daughteroftheking
10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Didn't know if this was against the rules or not. Can I make samples to sell since I may not have great stock at a fair? My upline suggested I needed to spend $2k on stock for cash and carry, but I can't do that.

I have one set of basket testers, and I thought I could offer something as an incentive to sign up for a basket party for Oct-November.

Thought about having a giveaway basket to collect info.

What should I do? It's a two hour event on a Tuesday.

Wax Menagerie
10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm not with Scentsy but I think you should check to see if it's ok to sell altered products. I know some other companies do not allow this. I also believe that stocking up on $2,000 in products is excessive unless you're going to be doing the fair for a week and there will be thousands of people coming. Two hours on a Tuesday you'll be lucky to sell $200 in products, let alone $2,000.

Otherwise, here's my craft fair experience for you. Small, not real expensive items. Stock up on some of your best selling scents in tart chunks. Have car candles, room sprays, plug ins for sale. Have a few seasonal melters on hand for sale. Make up plenty of samples with your contact info. to give to people. Possibly have a drawing box for a free melter and 6 pack of tarts or something.

Good luck at your event!

christy007
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure something like this is against Scentsy policy, as if something were to happen if someone went home and warmed one of those samples the wrong way and it ignited, they could come after you for that since I believe it would be considered an altered product. It's def safer for you to just sell as-is items since you are covered under Scentsy that way. I know my sponsor Lisa is the Festival Queen and she didn't use a lot of stock, at least not when she was getting started! I'm sure she'll jump in here at some point ;)

imamomagain
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm here! LOL...I would just give out the samples for free with your business card or brochures. As for doing a give-away, I would have it so it's for people who put a date on your calender or take a Basket Party. That way you get something out of it too!
$2,000 is alot of stock in my opinion for a 1-day show. I would take a few Plug-in Warmers and some bars. those seem to sell pretty good at events.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things go!

thecropchick
10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Didn't know if this was against the rules or not. Can I make samples to sell since I may not have great stock at a fair? My upline suggested I needed to spend $2k on stock for cash and carry, but I can't do that.

I have one set of basket testers, and I thought I could offer something as an incentive to sign up for a basket party for Oct-November.

Thought about having a giveaway basket to collect info.

What should I do? It's a two hour event on a Tuesday.

Sorry, but you DO NOT NEED TO CARRY $2000.00 worth or product to a fair! That's rediculus. Honestly, what I would do is go thru all of your sales receipts for the current month and divide by the number of parties you had. That will give you a more realistic idea of what you would sell at a fair. She's just trying to pad her own pocket. REMEMBER UPLINES GET A PERCENTAGE OF WHAT YOU ORDER! Some companies it's as high as 4% (4% X $2000 = $800.00 commission for someone else)

If you have to take an order and the person isn't out of the way, offer to drop it off to them....PERFECT PR MOVE!

jessicaj
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree!! $2000 in stock is insane I think, but then again, what do I know. One thing I do know for sure is that any Scentsy product that you sell must be in original packaging.

I had a girl in my downline that was worried about not having stock for fairs. I told her NOT to invest... She will be getting FREE and 1/2 price items from hosting her launch party which she can sell. I told her not to focus on what she doesn't have but focus on what she CAN do. Make sure to focus on booking parties, recruiting and providing GREAT customer service. I still don't carry a huge amount of stock. (I can't afford to sit on stuff that doesn't sell, and I don't have the space to store it even if I could sit on it.) Everything that I have is from hosting my own events. Be patient and the inventory will come!

Good luck to you with your Holiday sales.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1