WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

LauraMomOf4
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Ladies,

I have another question for all of you! How many of you work at your Mia Bella business in addition to another(unrelated of course)? Any input or guidance or ideas about that I would like to hear about. One of the companies I am considering is another candle company (Northern Lights at Home), and if I choose that one that would rule out Mia Bella. However, another is completely unrelated to candles. In that case, I might be interested in doing both.

I would be concerned about not being able to focus completely on one thing. I also think that can come across to potential team members as being that way also, like you do not have a clear focus,andsomewhat unprofessional if you have your name and then3 or 4different companies listed after it for your signature. To me that says that you must have to work at each one as a part-time hobby rather than as a full-time business.

However, I know that even tremendously successful people like Jackie Ulmer work at more than one company though, and I'm sure there are right and wrong ways to do this, and both advantages and disadvantages.

Could you please answer here instead of sending a PM? I do not mind PMs at all, but that would simplify things because I have a lot of information I'm sifting through right now and a lot of different people talking to me. Thanks so much!

Laura smileys/smiley1.gif

UNcommonScents
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Laura,

Glad to see you back at the Bella forum!

I know there are many people out there who successfully manage more
than one business at a time. I personally believe in the philosophy that "If
you chase two rabbits at one time, both will get away"

The way I see it is that you have only so much energy, time, and finances
to put into your business venture(s). Why not give 100% to one and take
it as far as you can go, focusing everything you have on the one venture,
rather than splitting your resources and dividing your success?

My $0.02 for what it's worth!

In all you do, CHOOSE Success

SandyMilton
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I have tried working two totally different businesses, but found my focus always stayed on this one. I am a consumer/user of a couple (non-distributor status), but sometime down the road I wouldn't mind trying to make baskets that incorporate the candles as well as other items. I've been eyeballing some of the gourmet food companies - it's nothing I plan to do right away - but the possibility is down the road. It wouldn't be anything for "full time" - but more along the line of making items that I can present for craft fairs and flea markets. I wouldn't actually be "actively building" any other business for the moment.

Many will say not to work them at the same time - instead build one strong, then it's safe to branch out a bit should you choose to do so. This will be the way I am choosing to work my business as well. Build it strong, build it to last!

lovethiscandle
02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I think it would be difficult to start two brand new businesses at the same time. I would recommend starting one business and putting all your effort into that first, then once it gets off the ground, you can afford to add another business and the time spent is easier to split.

Good luck in whichever you choose to do!

Take Care!

Debra

Health4Mom
02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Laura! There are many successful people here who have more than one business. I really think is all based on what you can handle. I would probably advise on starting with only one till you really get it going where you want it, then take on something else down the road. That way you can really get that off to a good start.

I personally have been with Mia Bella for almost 2 yrs and just recently took on an additional business. But the other one, I do mainly online, and MB is more person to person.

Mia Bella is the best candle company I have found by far. The quality and consistancy of our product is second to none!

I love that these burn clean and practically soot free and are healthy.

NO BLACK SOOT in my house!! (cough,cough) smileys/smiley36.gif

But in seriousness, it is really all personal preferences as to what you undertake.

I wish you luck in your search. You will find a wonderful home here should you decide to join us!! smileys/smiley1.gif

OliviaHyder
02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey Laura!

I am with Mary Kay and Mia Bella. I have been with Mary Kay for 5 1/2 yrs. At this time I am not focusing so much on my Mary Kay business. I focus mainly on Mia Bella.

Like you, I think there are pros and cons to working more than one business. In my personal opinion, I think that more than 2 would be hard to devote efficient time to each one. (Maybe I'm wrong........haven't tried it). When I was working Mary Kay full-time, I honestly can say that I could not have done anything else, but I also had an outside full-time job.smileys/smiley5.gifNow I only work part-time (outside the home) and I feel I could work Mia Bella wholeheartedly and work Mary Kay part-time. Everyone is different.

As far as what peolpe would think, I believe if you pick 2 companies that are different, then I don't see why someone wouldn't take you serious. Now if you pick 2 candle companies or 2 cosmetic companies, peolpe might question you.smileys/smiley2.gifOf course that's just my opinion, but I guess that's what you are asking for, right?smileys/smiley36.gif

Good luck on whatever you decide! Mia Bella is a great company, but you need to find what works best for you.

Olivia

southernbg
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Laura,

You have possed a very good question here! I am one of the many reps that has more than one business. My second business is completely unrelated to candles but fits very well with them.

I would have to agree with Debra about starting 2 companies at the same time. I actually did that with Mia Bella and my other current company and it was definately hard. So I had to shift my focus. I chose to go with Scent-Sations first. I built on that first and then start working the other.

Now, it is possible to do two but it does take ALOT of work and focus! Sometimes I get mixed up in what I am suppose to be doing I do not think I would have it any other way!smileys/smiley17.gif

I hope that helps!

Many Blessings,

Natalie

*Bama*
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Ditto I have more than 1 business, but Mia Bella being my main one. I believe that time management is the essence to being able to handle more than one business. I speak cleary on that being from the retail world. They stress that so much, and being able to multi task is essential.

It's not for everyone, I believe that each person should make their own decision based on how they are at organizing, time management (meaning making time for both businesses and still allow time for family and your life). If you can't do those, maybe its best to allow for one business atleast for now. You can always add the other later.

Best wishes and I hope you pick Mia Bella! smileys/smiley1.gif

SandyMilton
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
So true Frances - I know my own limitations, and know I couldn't successfully pull it off at this time. Possibly down the road when I become a full time WAHM with a stable income, I can move on to broaden my horizons again. Time management at this point and time in my life is my biggest weakness!

I don't know anything about Northern Lights at home, but for obvious reasons I do hope you choose to join Scent-Sations! smileys/smiley17.gif

MiaBellaCandle
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Laura! I am also one that has two businesses but Mia Bella is my main business... my main focus ... my love! smileys/smiley17.gif

I also am a distributor for a cosmeceutical company, love the products and use them daily, have a small customer base and a nice little team, but I mostly do this for the savings on the products and with my customers and team, I basically get the products for free and then some. I don't spend alot of time with this company... just keep in touch with my downline mostly.

I focus on retailing and expanding my Mia Bella business.. that is where I put 95% of my business time into.

I agree with the others about starting two new businesses at once... that may be a little overwhelming. Why not try the one that most interests you, get settled in with that, learn the products and trainings, and when you feel comfortable and want to pursue another business, jump right in.

It will take alot of time management and focus to do both, but it can be done.

Many blessings,

soycandles4tam
02-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Laura,
When I first joined Mia Bella two years ago I was with a gourmet food company also at that time. I ended up dropping the gourmet food because it just became too much on me and my family to try and sucessfully run two businesses. While I do think its possible it just comes down to how it works for you. I think also another thing to think about is how busy you will become. If you're main focus is on one then when you start booking parties, craft shows, etc. and have customers returning for reorders it is a lot to keep up with if you happen to have a decent size customer base. Keeping inventory and doing paperwork, taxes, etc. it really can become overwhelming. Just put a lot of thought into it and really decide what you want to do and you can make anything work. It is possible. Good luck with your decision and I do hope you decide to join us. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Tammy
[email protected]

Silverback
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Iwould be concerned about not being able to focus completely on one thing. I also think that can come across to potential team members as being that way also, like you do not have a clear focus,andsomewhat unprofessional if you have your name and then3 or 4different companies listed after it for your signature. To me that says that you must have to work at each one as a part-time hobby rather than as a full-time business. Laura http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

Boy, you said a mouthful. I would tend to agree with what you said. Running more than one business means they must share your focus and neither can have your full attention. Coming from a guy's perspective (and admitting that it is PLENTY subjective) I have always looked at people that were into EVERYTHING asfolks who arejust trying to make money on anything and everything. I would much prefer a sales pitch from a sold out, passionate about her product,sold onher business plan woman, than somebody that seems, for lack of a better word, scattered all over the map.

I liked what UNcommonScents had to say

I personally believe in the philosophy that "If you chase two rabbits at one time, both will get away"

You made one other comment thatI would like clarification on, however. You said,

I know that even tremendously successful people like Jackie Ulmer work at more than one company. I know Jackiehas been a part of several other companies in thePAST - but as far as I know now, andI think she would be the first to say this,she is "Laser-Focused" on the Mia Bella opportunity. AND, again, from a male's perspective, and as one who is not really into candles, it makes total sense to me why she would be concentrating on it so hard.

As a man, I am "totally" into the business plan as well as the belief that this is a ground floor opportunity that is positioning itself properly and should find itself hitting critical mass very shortly. I, for one, do not want any other waves distracting me from the ride Iam having on this ONE. With focused, dedicated, and concentratedeffort, it is possible to reach the level of Director in approximately 2 years or less in this business. It is completely do-able!! My question is, why would you want to spread out your efforts NOW when the momentum of this new company is so great? I am saying his as a male, network marketing, business builder who is seizing the opportunity because I understand the staggering potential of the compensation plan.

Ladies: If you can get a guy (a business-builder) to see beyond the candles to the organization he can build to create residual wealth leveraging his timeYOU will have a downline that ROCKS!!! My humble opinion is that you will not find these entrepeneurs and be able to encourage them to enlist in your cause if they see you as someone who is dabbling, or playing at MLM, or uncertain ofwhere she wantsto go.

At this very moment, I have several friends that are trying to persuade me to joinTHEIR MLM businesses. I have looked at them all; their products, their plans, their promises, their histories, etc., etc. NOT ONE of them holds a candle to Mia Bella at this point in time!!!

LauraMomOf4
03-01-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks for all of your input, all of you! I was referring to www.streetsmarthealth.com (http://www.streetsmarthealth.com). She refers to the importance of creating multiple streams of income, not putting your eggs all in one basket... I was basing what I wrote on what Ihave observed and read,and not from actually talking to her about it so am not sure what to think about that. In any case, I'm sure anything else takes a back seat to Scentsations.

At this point I think it is probably not a good idea (working at more than one company) at least not until you are well established in one.

I have one other question that I am going to post...and I think that is IT for the questions! LOL! I think at this point I will have all the info I need to make a good decision.

Laura

LauraMomOf4
03-01-2006, 03:59 AM
BTW, awesome website, Stay-at-Home Dad Collin! It really stands out to me from all the rest for obvious reasons. Not to bash anyone else's websites...they are ALL unique in their own way! smileys/smiley4.gif

Laura

SandyMilton
03-01-2006, 05:55 AM
I can see the confusion when it comes to multiple streams of income. Generally when someone refers to that, it means they have other outside sources such as real estate, possibly purchasing shares in something, etc. In a nutshell - use a part of your profits and diversify into other things! Most are referring to something not related to MLM - but more of a "passive income" type of thing.

LauraMomOf4
03-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes, that is true, but in this context she is referring to multiple streams of income from being a part of more than one MLM company.

Laura

LauraMomOf4
03-01-2006, 06:38 AM
This is what I meant, from what I read in her bio section regarding FreeLife.

"Finally, I wanted to create multiple streams of income. I know how companies can change, and I wanted to insulate myself from losing my income over one company's policy or pay plan shift."

Not to "dig up dirt" or be critical. This is just where I got the idea that this very successful person (whom many of us strive to emulate!) thinks that working at multiple programs is okay or that she does.

It's obviously something people have differing opinions on (working with more than one business)...and it does make just good common sense to concentrate on one thing at a time, so that is the conclusion I have come to for now! At least I think what would probably work best for me.

Except maybe in my case a candle business could help with the "multiple streams of income" idea if I can incorporate it into my online gift basket business. That would be different I think.

Laura smileys/smiley1.gif

iluvsoycandles
03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
I do see that Jackie is with another Company. But I must tell you that from knowing her, she is EXTREMELY organized and STREET and MONEY SMART and she would never join something that would hinder her from working MB successfully.

I think at this point beucase of her level of success with MB she has EVERY right to start something else. I think her MB business will practically run itself at this point!

It looks like this may be an internet business for her. she can run this with little or no effort in my opinion!

Again, like you said, it is all a matter of personal opinion and ability.

We wish you luck Laura and hope to see ya around more often!!

Just my 2 cents!! smileys/smiley2.gif

SandyMilton
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
It is ok to have multiple streams of income, and many say it's a good thing to not have your eggs all in one basket. That's what people do every day in their jobs! What happens when something happens to their job? Suddenly no income. They may flounder a bit, some don't recover, some recover for the better. Multiple streams of income is truly a good thing.

What's not always so good is trying to get them off the ground at the same time. This is where many fail. Don't get me wrong, I know it's possible to build some together and build them successfully. The success rate is not very high though. It's something that I know I couldn't do myself. I'm not that organized smileys/smiley36.gif

maureenkellis
03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Jackie started Street Smart Wealth a long time ago. That's where I first found her (about 4 years ago). She has been with Free Life for quite a while, too. If you check the street smart health site, you'll notice that it is old, and not updated (uh..check the photo). It's my understanding that she's focusing on one network mking company-mia bella, and her street smart wealth site which offers her e-books, leads, coaching, bus. resources. Nothing wrong with that.

Laura, the best way to create multiple streams of income, especially if you are starting out with a nwm or direct sales business, is to choose your ds/nwm company and use resources to create additional streams, ie. leads, autoresponders, hosting, training, informational (Brilliant Compensation). The stuff you use to build your business. That way you don't lose your focus.

My hats off to those wonderful few who can pull off multiple ds businesses. Perhaps you could get together and write an e-book (yet another stream of $!)- The Superwoman's Guide To Having It All: Creating Multiple Streams Of Income In An Uncertain World.

Create The Life You Deserve!

Maureen Kellis :-)

http://www.MaureenKellis.com

lovethiscandle
03-01-2006, 07:04 PM
My hats off to those wonderful few who can pull off multiple ds businesses. Perhaps you could get together and write an e-book (yet another stream of $!)- The Superwoman's Guide To Having It All: Creating Multiple Streams Of Income In An Uncertain World.

Maureen, actually, that sounds like an awesome e-book title and subject matter!

Vicki
03-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I work several businesses but maybe for different reasons than some of the others on this board.

Myfirst business was as a Flint River Ranchpet food distributor. Iwasn't really even thinking of getting into a business, butafterI tried the pet food it cleared up somehealth problemsmy dog was having andsince I had 2large dogs I purchase enough to qualifyto earn a commission if I signed up as a distributor. So since I'm thrifty and frugal my first business was really just to get a discount on my dog food!!!It gradually grew andI found itthat I washaving fun with my little business venture.

Then Itried a Mia Bella candle - WOW!!! I loved the scent and NO SOOT!! I wanted to get my candles at the wholesale price and I love getting my new scentevery month with my Candle of theMonth membership! Then Irealized how easy they are to sell,the largeprofit margin, the generous compensation planand the fantastic amount of company training and support. The Mia Bella Candles have now become my primary focus and income producing business! Involvement with Mia Bella and the great people in the companyhave also helped me tolearn so much and develop better coaching and mentoring skills.

I have since added a couple of other companies that I feel add to my candle business - Cello in a Box (toadd festive gift wraps at shows and parties) and Candle Decor and More (toget somepretty candle holders) but these are add-on companies for whichI expend littleor no energy to promote, but (remember I'm thrifty!!) allow me to buyproducts I like at a discount.

Best wishes,

Vicki
Do you know what is in your pet's food?
http://www.picnicpointpets.com (http://www.picnicpointpets.com/)

<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>Love candles?
<DIV =signature>Enter my weekly drawing to win a FREE Mia Bella Candle at:
<DIV =signature>http://www.bellamiacandle.scent-team.com (http://www.bellamiacandle.scent-team.com/)
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>Candle Decor and More Candle Accessories
<DIV =signature>http://www.mycandledecor.biz/?4705[/url]SPONSOR #4705
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>Cello in a Box - Products that make gift giving easy and affordable!
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>[url="http://www.celloinabox.com/725"]http://www.celloinabox.com/725 (http://www.candle-decor-and-more.com/sign-up.html)
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>
<DIV =signature>

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1