WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Hmmm What Do You Think

KeishaWilliams
05-12-2009, 03:55 AM
For those who have been in the military for longer than 10yrs I need some advice.

My husband will soon be coming up on orders to the states. We think we will get Texas..b/c he's in a Warrior Transition Unit, and that's where we want to retire.

BUT. He will still have plenty of time left, to deploy at least once or twice before he retires.

So....b/c he will be at 14yrs soon, I kinda want to go somewhere else first BEFORE going to Texas to settle?

But in the same token, the house market is great and we can buy a home and finally get settled....but I don't want him to deploy either!

What do you ladies suggest?

chrlstoncharmed
05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
If he's being reassigned to Ft Hood, he's going to deploy.

I've always heard that once you get to Hood, there's no getting out. The soldiers get stuck in a deployment cycle. I've also heard that deployment extensions are very common among these units. smileys/smiley19.gif

My husband has 21 years in and will NOT retire here ... he wants to retire at Ft Benning (and I'm in full support of that. We are closer to our friends and families in GA). He is in a fortunate position (and I know I have to watch what I say here ...) in that his unit will not exist after this next deployment, so he can push to be reassigned someplace else (1st choice - Ft Benning, 2nd choice Ft Stewart, 3rd choice Ft Jackson).

I can see your dilema, though. The housing market is great and you would not believe some of these houses out here. I was just saying in my other post -PCS'ing to Ft Hood- that the house we're in is incredible.

I know ... I'm not much help. smileys/smiley9.gif

Mrs1stSgt
05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I feel your pain, I am really wanting to buy a house in the area we would like to retire in. But I will not break up the family we only have 2-5 years left We are at 18 years if he get CSM then we will add a year to that and it will all depend on how many year The new GI bill says we have to stay in for our son to be able to use it. I would personally go somewhere else first but I really like change. If he deploys save, save, save, like the ****ens so you have a good down payment on the house of your dreams.
you asked.
Lisa

KeishaWilliams
05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
LOL....

Funny I heard the same about Ft. Bragg...stuck there forever.lol

Thanks ladies...Yeah we are going back and forth right now...b/c of his unit that's being moved to, we are guaranteed him being non-deployable for at least a year. Then he'll have 4 1/2 yrs. There was even talk of him being MEB'd if he doesn't recover after rehab.
(he was injured down range)

He has been deployed 6 times out of our 10yrs of marriage...so I'm like...aauuugghhh..no MORE...

But if he does deploy that is great advice Lisa, save save save.

I am trying to convince him to go somewhere first but he's not hearing itsmileys/smiley19.gif

Mrs1stSgt
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I have heard the same about Bragg too. Oh good lord 6 times out of 10 years of marriage. Sound like my nephew. I am so sorry Keisha.
Lisa

KeishaWilliams
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
smileys/smiley19.gifsmileys/smiley19.gif Wooooeee is meeeee! LOL I'm just kiddin...but yeah it doesn't get easier for sure.

Your nephew is in my prayers, I commend him and anyone enduring that.

I read a cute story today in a little publication that talks all about PCSing to Texas. About a lady who moved 8 times...almost every year. She made it very comical so it made me laugh.

KimberlyP
05-19-2009, 09:33 AM
We were stuck in Germany through two deployments. We were there for two and a half years longer than we were supposed to. Stop loss is a biatch!!!

KeishaWilliams
05-22-2009, 08:45 AM
LMAO!! Kimberly, I feel your pain. I was here in Germany for 9 of the 15 mths he was deployed and they are going back, we were scheduled not to leave til 2010 but we weren't having that...(no that easy but he got injured so it was in our favor).

sugarhill
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
San Antonio Tx is nice and Fort Sam is an ok base.