WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

homebasedforlive
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if some of you could share your teaching styles in addition and subtraction? My son knows the basic facts, but he's not picking up on the harder ones. EX 9+8, etc. We've done flash cards, drills, etc, but he just doesn't quite memorize them. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

malcido
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
It's really just a matter of practice, but using manipulatives makes a big difference. We played lots of yahtzee---daily for quite a while instead of drilling math facts. That helped my son memorize the harder ones.

homebasedforlive
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
That's a really good idea. I didn't think about that one. I think something that he found more enjoyable then just flash cards would help a lot. Thanks!

CammiB
04-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Colored dominos up to 12/12 are good to help them learn the harder addition facts. While playing for fun they will begin to associate color with numbers. Just a good visual.

Bailey4
04-14-2009, 06:24 AM
It's really just a matter of practice, but using manipulatives makes a big difference. We played lots of yahtzee---daily for quite a while instead of drilling math facts. That helped my son memorize the harder ones.

Games are really a great way, especially when manipulatives are there to support the learning.

Legos make great counters when there are ones they get stuck with to make sure they can "see" the problem, count it and know it.

My parents eventually taught me addition and multiplication using dart games. The constant repititon of having to count my scores eventually helped me to learn the facts because I got sick of having to count each time instead of just knowing what a triple score was, etc.

I have a younger relative who is a real kinesthetic kid who loves to move so I just bought her the addition mat that Mindware had on sale for Christmas that has a movement game that practices the math facts with movement. She gets to move and practice at the same time. There are simpler ways to make games but she's lives a good distance away so the convience of being able to order and ship was an important one for me.

There are lots of little tricks depending on how your child learns best that can help once you've played for a while and narrowed it down to just a few that they seem to be struggling with.Edited by: Bailey4

IA4toys
04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Bummer.... Discovery Toys sold a product last fall that would be fabulous! It was called Toss and Tally. Basically it was dice that you rolled and added or subtracted... but the game board that came with it was Tic Tac Toe. Once you rolled the dice you had to find your number and put it on the board. Fun strategies involved too where you can turn over other people's numbers. Try to find it on-line. Last sale price was $10!

Manipulatives are another great way like everyone else said!! Some of our favorites are Busy Bugs and Mini Motors. Fun with bugs and cars!!

malcido
04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
For the game that IA4toys mentioned check ebay---it sounds like a great item!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1