WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Does this smell funny?

69corvair
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Hey folks,

I'm trying to help out a friend who's daughter's boyfriend recently joined the Army reserve. Too many parts of this just don't sound right to her (or me for that matter), so if anyone can shed some light as to whether things really operate like this, I'd appreciate it.

The guy joined up (enlisted), was sent to reception, & while there he suffered a spider bite on his foot/ankle. The wound did not heal well & he was kept at a base hospital for several days (more than a week)& then sent to basic. Within a couple days of getting to basic, the would became a problem again, he was diagnosed with cellulitis/MRSA & again sent to a base hospital for treatment. After a week or so of that, they could not get the swelling under enough control for him to resume basic immediately, so they sent him home for 30 days of convalescent leave during which they have him set up to see doctors & receive more treatement. He says he continues to draw his pay & has a date certain at which he must return to basic.

Here are the weird parts:
(1) he says he was not allowed to take anything home that he was issued, including his military ID card.
(2) his family had to pay for his plane ticket home on a commercial carrier, and says that he was told that he had to return home at his own expense for this leave or accept a medical discharge, and that he could not catch a free military flight home.

So is that the way the military handles situations like that?

Thanks,

Mrs1stSgt
02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Yes they do, He has not finished basic training yet is this correct. I will explain this to you when I get back from taking munchkin to school.
Lisa

69corvair
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Correct, he'd only been in basic a couple of days when he couldn't continue due to that wound.

Mrs1stSgt
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Here are the weird parts:
(1) he says he was not allowed to take anything home that he was issued, including his military ID card.
Why does he need his military issued gear at home? And for the ID card what if he looses it and they do, and again why does he need his army issued ID card.
(2) his family had to pay for his plane ticket home on a commercial carrier, and says that he was told that he had to return home at his own expense for this leave or accept a medical discharge, and that he could not catch a free military flight home.
I will try to explain this in the civilian way, would your job pay for you to go home if you got a spider bite (if you worked) The army feels if it is going to take someone some time to heal, that they would heal faster at home where there are people to look out after them. If they kept him there I believe you said he was still in reception. #1. when the drill sgt have these kids doing there drills during the day a drill sgt would have to stay back to watch this kid, (can we say babysit here) Why would the army pay for his ticket home? My DH has 18 years in do you think they pay for is ticket home for Korea, Cuba when he comes home on R and R no we shell out the big bucks for that.

So is that the way the military handles situations like that?
Yes you are dead on this is the way the Army handles situations like this. It really is a great life, I am a bratt and then married one. Encourage this kid to keep marching forward. It is not easy but so worth it MY DH has 18 years in currently 1st sgt. promotable any day know to Sgt. Major with a paid for masters degree will only be 40 when he retires (with a farily decent monthly income) into his second great paying job employers are begging for retired military people to work for them, that says a lot in this economy. We just had a friend retire in Oct, started working in a $80,000.00 dollar a year job in Oct. Best of look, thank this kid for making a great decision from a friend of the WAHM web board.
LisaEdited by: Mrs1stSgt

69corvair
02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info. My friend's concern was that his story was not believable & maybe he'd been discharged & was lying to her daughter (him joining up was a big thing for her - the boy needed some maturity & discipline).

I agree about the not taking stuff with him part & the not staying there part, but the pay your own way home part does still ring strange (at least it's the real story) seems odd to be taken by the army 1000 miles from home, get hurt on their activity (which involved walking barefoot through a forest) and then get told you have to drop several hundred $ to go recover at home. Ordinariily if you get hurt on the job in a civilian job, the employer has to pick up the tab & if they'd shipped you to some far off place, they'd have to get you home.

Wow, I would never have though your husband would have to pay his own way home for R&R - thought that was a military perk that was frequently advertised - the right to take flights space available wherever you want to go.

I hope he sticks it out too - the kid has some issues & I think this will be very good for him.

Thanks again for helping us figure this out,