WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : El Paso, Texas, Fort Bliss

Mrs1stSgt
10-02-2008, 08:56 AM
The good and the bad, the weather is great that is the good.There seems to be a lot of homeless or beggers on the street corners that is something I am not used too. Housing is very slow to get to your needs, so what is knew. The city huge not so bad because there is a lot to do but don't be in a hurry to get some where.IMO by the way.
LisaEdited by: Mrs1stSgt

busymommyto2
10-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow!
We've been here since 2005. My family and I have a different view of the place.

Homeless - yes we have them - but they are not EVERYWHERE. In fact - I just got back from dropping off kids at school and running errands and haven't seen one yet this morning!

Christmas and boxes. I have been to Toys R US EVERY YEAR at the Christmas season. I have yet to see boxes littering the parking lot. I have many local friends - none of them have heard about the box ban in Mexico. In fact - many of my friends even travel back and forth daily and - yes - they sometimes carry boxes.

I have never been treated rude or badly when I go out - 99 percent of the people are very nice. There is always that 1 percent - and that is everywhere you go.

The weather here is wonderful. There are plenty of outdoor activities to do. If you enjoy the arts - the cost of living here is low enough that you can enjoy season passes to the Symphony. You can also attend college and minor league sports games at a low, low (and sometimes even free) price.The local university has a wonderul dinner theatre and the city has some wonderful art programs.

To us - the glass here is half full - not half empty. There are many troops and their families coming here due to BRAC - let's tell them both sides of the story - shall we?

Mrs1stSgt
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes that is why we have WAHM to get all sides of the story, Thank you for sharing yours.
Lisa

ProudWWSpouse
12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey Lisa!

How long have you lived in El Paso? My family and I were just there but because DH has medically retired, we've moved down south...south of TX, that is.

I for one was not a Big fan of El Paso. My family and I didn't like the weather and the environment. We didn't get used to the desert view. We had to move because our kids would always get sick. There would always be a virus going on. The only thing that I think I miss is the Day Care on post that is behind the Commissary. That's it!

We thought that all of Texas was like El Paso--Desert. But we were wrong. Where we live we love so much. It's nice and green and humid. I love the humid weather. There's so many places we can go to. Such a military friendly and family friendly community. It's here in San Antonio. :) Love love love it a lot!

Mrs1stSgt
12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I love San Antonio, beautiful area. I really, really, really miss the 4 seasons. And yes it does seam like my son always has snot coming out of his nose. The dryness, dirt and dust does not agree with his allergies. The mountains are beautiful but, like you, you get tired of all the brown desert. We have been here since July and will leave in May, June time frame. DH is in Sgt. Majors school here. Thanks for asking.

ProudWWSpouse
12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Not a problem, Lisa! It's just real great to be messaging with you and busymommyto2 and it is such a coinsidence that I'm speaking with the both of you and not evening knowing beforehand that you're in El Paso. Hmmm...it really doesn't feel like we've been gone from El Paso this long (10 months). Seems like it was just yesterday that we left. But I have to tell you again, that I love love love it here and wouldn't trade it for any other place. And I'm sure you understand!
I forgot the name of that place that DH and I would always take the kids to for sight seeing and hiking. It's right outside William Beaumont. That is like the only place that I miss because I know that my kids would always enjoy the scenes and the hiking. Oh and they loved the school they used to go to which is on the Norh East side YISD called Scottsdale. A really great school and "Exemplanary" rated too. The kids always ask when we can come and visit their teachers and friends but I keep telling them soon.

Anyway, it was real great to hear from you again. Oh! How's the construction going on in your neighborhood. Last time we where there the road was not done yet.

Well, great messaging with you and I hope to hear back from you soon. :)

kansaspeach
12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I love San Antonio, beautiful area. I really, really, really miss the 4 seasons. And yes it does seam like my son always has snot coming out of his nose. The dryness, dirt and dust does not agree with his allergies. The mountains are beautiful but, like you, you get tired of all the brown desert. We have been here since July and will leave in May, June time frame. DH is in Sgt. Majors school here. Thanks for asking.

Small world - my cousin (we are very close) is in the SGM Academy down there, too - he's in your DH's class, so you may have met him. :-)

Mrs1stSgt
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
PM me his name, and your name. Does he live on the base with kids. We love meeting new people.It is a small world,A guy that my niece went to school with and graduated with is also here. And a guy that I grew up with retired in this area, His sisters used to babysit me when I was little.

kansaspeach
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
That's funny - it IS a small world. I PMed you. :-)