WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

spamama
09-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Hello! I am considering joining Uppercase Living, but am wondering if someone has more information for me then what is on the website. The website doesn't offer a whole lot of information, and I have never been to a party (I just saw the product for the first time recently and LOVE the way it looks). So whatever information people can give me will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

misty22
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Rochelle-

I am an Independent Demonstrator for Uppercase Living, and I'd be more than happy to give you more information. I actually had never been to a party before when I signed up either. I just fell in love with the product!

As you may have noticed, this is a very new company; it is about two years old, so it is a really good time to get involved ina company that is fast-growing and young. I don't have a list of every Demonstrator in the company but I believe there are less than 5,000. I absolutely love the product, so it is so easy for me to tell people about the product. There are so many direct-sales businesses out there so you definitely need to LOVE the product. Enthusiasm is contagious! All I do is show people the catalog and they fall in love with the product too.

As far as the commission; you earn an instant commission of 25% of your sales. You can also earn money three other ways: Volume Bonus (an extra percentage for every $500 in sales you do a month- $500 is easily achieved with only one Open House) Leadership Bonus (2-5% extra percentage of your sales for recruiting) and Downline Commission (the money you earn for your downline making sales). The key to making A LOT of money is recruiting, and many demonstrators recruit by accident.. lol, people will see the catalog and ask to sign up. In fact, that's what I did! An average Open House is about $400-$500. So when you are just starting out and you don't have anyone underneath you, then you will earn 25% of what you sale, and the Volume Bonus as commission.

I'm not sure if I've answered all your questiosn, but let me know what information you would like to know, and I will be sure to get you the answer. I have a few documents that I can send you if you email me directly; they are very helpful and have a lot more detailed information. My email is [email protected]
Hope to talk to you soon!

Letterlady
10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I am a recovering anti-home party person. smileys/smiley2.gif
I had been to the same parties time and time again and really felt
burnt out on them. When I received an invitation for a neighbor's
gathering, I almost threw it out but decided to go for some good girl
time. Within 1 week, I signed up to sell the product and hit the
ground running, never looking back!

I absolutely love this
product. It is so unique and so much easier than other expression-like
products I've seen. These expressions transform your house or other
spaces with a simple application, and they are only permanent as long
as you want them to be... they remove with ease and without any
residue. If you're like me and like to change your decor, they are a
dream!

The catalog offers not only expressions but
embellishments as well, which has EXPLODED in popularity with the
holidays coming up. I am selling embellishments like crazy for use in
home-made Christmas gifts and decor. Best of all, it's all extremely
affordable in this tough economy. Customers are thrilled!

The
demonstrator opportunity is comprised of instant commissions off of
your sales, which means you never have to wait for a check to see your
profits. And as you add people to your downline, the income potential
is limitless. Parties are not only fun but the product sells itself,
so I never feel like I am working. People get so excited about the
product and I feel extremely lucky to be introducing it to them. On
top of your commissions, there are opportunities for monthly bonuses
(which I hit monthly with ease)!

I'd love to talk with you further. If you've already joined, welcome! It really is one of the best decisions I've ever made! Let us know!

Thanks so much for reading!

indygirl
10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Do you think that wall vinyl is just a trend ora fad like scrapbooking was popular and selling well 5 years ago, and now just kind of limited??
I wonder after selling so much of these UL stickers how to get bookings after you have sold to so many people who are burned out on them or have plenty? Also, one of my friends said that you can buy similar vinyl at Michaels craft store for less, so why buy UL, this discourages me because I was thinking of signing up but don't know how to market myself!

misty22
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi indygirl-

This product is so unique. Yes, you can purchase the product in a few other retailers. But what company does not have competition? Think about all the places you can find candles, home decor, kitchen items, and makeup. What's great about UL is that you can customize ANYTHING you want. This you will NOT find in stores, and this is our greatest STRENGTH. Still, even with the pre-designed expressions, you have over 30 colors to choose from. Again, this is not available in stores. The ones in Michael's are very simple, and their quality is not as good as UL's is. Not all vinyl is created equal. Their product is also marketed towards kids, like butterflys and flowers on walls.

I recently had a booth at a Home & Garden Show, and 99% of the people that walked by had never heard of vinyl lettering for your walls, and they thought it was such a beautiful product. The loved the idea, and it was so nice to be able to represent a NEW, and fresh idea/product. Thepeople that had heard about it had been to a partyand they were so excited to see us there at the H&G Show.

Also, vinyl has been around for LONG time- used mostly for businesses and cars. It is just now starting to be a product that can be used for the home. But us Demonstrators have a huge advantage over other Direct-Sales businesses, because not only can we market to the average home owner (or even renter)who likes decorating, but we can also market to Businesses, Churches, and Schools. This makes our product very versatile and we are able to market to not only women, but men as well. Businesses usually make much larger purchases too!

I hope I explained this OK for you. If you have additional questions, I can send you some more information via email. It is [email protected]

By the way, are you from Indiania? I have SO much family there, mostly in the South Bend, Indianapolis, and Frenchlick areas. I go to my Aunt & Uncle's cabin every other year in Frenchlick. I Love it! Talk to you later!

christyvw2004
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
OK here is everything you wanted to know.Please drop me an email or visit my website to find out more http://christy.uppercaseliving.net

What you need to know about Uppercase Living!
Welcome to Uppercase Living! I know you will find this company and business very enjoyable and FUN! I hope I can help you succeed in this new chapter of your life.
I’ve put this document together to help you get your business off the ground and get UL out there to your friends, family and neighbors! The only way Uppercase Living can succeed is if you succeed in spreading it in your area of influence.
Company Background
UL started in January 2005 by two women who had a great idea and made it happen. Since that time, the company has grown exponentially and is still experiencing wild growth. You have joined at a great time ☺
In August 2007, UL hired Richard Fankhauser, who was previously president of Stampin’ Up! and helped to grow that company into the powerhouse it is today. We are all excited with what Richard will do to help this company reach new heights!
There are demonstrators in all 50 states (this also happened over the summer) though it is still very new to the east coast.
UL’s support line is great. They are prompt with returning your calls or emails and usually get back to you within a day.
As a Demonstrator
Your main job is to tell people about UL! The product sells itself, but you need to be excited and enthusiastic about it. That energy will encourage more people to buy from you because they see how it makes you feel. And excitement is contagious!
You also need to follow the guidelines in the Demonstrators Manual. Be sure to check UL Express for the most up to date version of the Demonstrators Manual for any changes.
What to do to get set up
<DIR>
<DIR>
1. First is ordering your Starter Kit and becoming an active Demonstrator!

2. Then you will want to set up a checking account just for your UL. I set mine up at Commerce Bank for two reasons – 1) it’s FREE, and 2) it comes with a free Visa check card.

3. You can use the Check Card to pay for your UL shows and supplies online.

4. You need the checking account to link up to your UL Demonstrator account so UL can deposit your volume and leadership commissions into.

5. Order business cards – the prices are reasonable through the link on UL Express (plus the demonstrator manual says we need to order through UL)

6. Go through your Starter Kit when it arrives and get yourself ready to go! </DIR></DIR>
Start keeping an eye out for inexpensive items to put expressions on to use as gifts or displays…they are everywhere and you can get them for little $ if you keep your eyes looking. I even carry a small tape measure in my purse to measure items when I see them to know if an expression would fit on it.
THINGS TO KNOW – AKA "CHEAT SHEET"
Spend the Living Rewards Product Credits you received with your Demonstrator registration within the first 30 days or it will expire.
Meet the requirements in the UpStart! Program to earn up to hundreds more Living Rewards Product Credits to spend on yourself or hostess &amp; giveaway expressions! UpStart! lasts for the first 75 days you are a demonstrator.
The Living Reward Product Credits you acquire during your UpStart! period by meeting the sales goals are valid for a year from the date it was issued.
For every $50 in product amount you submit in an Open House order, you will receive $0.50 in Living Rewards Supply Credits. This helps to offset your catalog &amp; supply costs; as you sell more product, you earn more credits.
UL has a 90 day policy on exchanges and corrections. Be sure to pass that info along to your customers. This will encourage your customers to put their expressions up when they get them rather than let them lay around.
In the event that UL shipped the wrong item, go into UL Express and into that order, and click the Correction/Exchange link. Choose the customer and item that was incorrect, provide a brief description of what was wrong, and you can also choose to have the corrected item sent directly to that customer. UL usually ships out the corrected item within 24 – 48 hours!
Expressions can be placed outside on doors, windows, etc. and *I read* in the yahoo group (not verified with UL though) that they should last for 4 years outside w/o fading. I have them on my car – not a problem in the carwash or the elements! If you’re going to use them outdoors, they just released a new Premium Bond Glossy White to be used on car windows, mailboxes, etc; it is not recommended to be used on any painted surface.
OPEN HOUSE TIPS &amp; HINTS
Book your first Open House (OH) at your home, and invite your friends and family. Having a familiar audience will help with any anxiousness you feel having your first OH.
The one thing I’ve read on and have done is to talk to my husband and we agreed on nights of the week that he will be available to watch our girls so I can do an OH. Pick one or two (or however many you want to do) a week and stick to scheduling your OH’s on those nights. Certainly makes planning much easier! And if you know Thursdays are your nights, then aim to have each Thursday booked each month.
RELAX! This is FUN! Bring your demo items – as many as you’d like – and set up a nice little display at the hostess’ home. Adding a tablecloth will really make the display table look much more professional.
Make ‘n’ Takes: I use the sample words with cardstock scrapbook borders (found at a dollar store) and miscellaneous ribbon (found in $1 bags at AC Moore). Other demonstrators use satin ribbon at least 2" wide as bookmarks. Some give out little tiles to put the sample words on. And others just give them a sample word to take home and use. At the holidays, you can use glass ornaments with the word "Believe" and fill them with curling ribbon or colored shreds of foil or glitter or paint; tie a ribbon at the top and you have a cute gift!
Hostess Gifts: I try to keep these inexpensive and simple! UL gives the hostesses so many great perks for hosting that I don’t find it necessary to spend much more on a gift from me. Some things I’ve done have included nice votive holders &amp; votives from Yankee Candle, clear votive holders with one of the sample words on it and a nice-smelling votive; at the holidays I give two colored hand-blown glass ornaments with "Believe" on them with a nice gold ribbon at the top. Other demonstrators will create a "Family" or "Welcome" with their product credits, and order them in many colors and let their hostess pick one for her to put up in her home as the demonstration. Others put the last initial of the hostess on a plate or charger or hurricane vase.
Door Prizes: This again is totally up to you as to what you want to do. I just started doing door prizes for two reasons: 1 – Everyone loves the chance to win something, and 2 – this is a great way to collect customer contact information! This way you can contact them about future UL opportunities and specials.
Your most popular question at an OH will be "Can you reuse the letters if you peel them off?" UL’s answer is "no", but honestly I’ve never tried. Every time I have removed an expression I’ve ruined the vinyl in the process.
Number of Guests: I find that at least 10 guests will give you a decent OH total. Don’t feel bad telling a hostess that she needs to have at least 8-10 in attendance for you to do the show. This is a business for you and needs to be worth your time. She should invite 25-30 people (or more) to get the 8-10 to show. She may be disappointed with her show if there are less than that in attendance, especially if she has her eye on several expressions for herself. Not to say that smaller shows can’t be profitable – they can! Just use your best judgment with your Open Houses.
I personally try not to hand out the catalogs right away…people tend to look through them and not listen to you.
OK so here are the things I try to touch on at Open Houses:
<DIR>
<DIR>
♦ Introduce myself and the company

♦ Show the photo albums and encourage them to look through

♦ Ask them to fill out the Door Prize form

♦ Encourage them to ask questions

♦ Catalog – how it is broken out into sections, how to use the online MyDesign tool for custom expressions. This is the best time to mention purchasing the catalogs.

♦ Do a demonstration of installing an expression

♦ Talk about the benefits of hosting a show – double-up reward, hostess-only expressions; talk about customer perks – free tool, free welcome; talk about what a great time it is to join UL and to ask you more about it.

♦ Talk about mirroring items,30+ colors, 2 part expressions, thinking outside the box for using them (i.e. putting them up differently from than they come), ordering embellishments, overall dimensions, cutting long or big expressions to install them easier. </DIR></DIR>
Gift Certificates – currently UL does not offer gift certificates, so that would be up to you, the demonstrator, to decide if you want to offer that. Unfortunately any money received for a gift certificate doesn’t count towards the hostess’ show total since it is not ordering a product. You would have to keep track of the amounts and when people redeem them.
Catalogs – I tend to not let too many of these go into hands of people free. Since the product is inexpensive and our commission is 25%, to let catalogs go freely will really eat into your profits.
I mention as part of my demonstration that the catalogs are there to look through during the show. If you can’t make a decision before you leave and would like to take one home to keep, it will be $3. The printed price at the top is $4.95, so I just explain that is my cost for the catalog that I’m willing to pass along. I’ve only had one lady make a comment about charging for the catalog, but she only bought one small expression.
I also mention the catalog is available to view online, so if they’d rather not pay for a catalog, they can always view it online at my website.
Photo Albums – This is BY FAR THE BEST WAY for others to see what UL is and how to use it. Even more than the catalog. I joined a few WalMart photo group rooms and printed off about 280 pictures and stuck them in an album. If you’re interested in those pictures (there are THOUSANDS online, I picked about 280 that represented a good variety of uses and ideas), I would be happy to resend that order to your local WalMart for you. I think it cost me about $45 to do the one-hour photo with 280 prints. I also have a separate album of all my UL and my customer’s UL photos. I also have that online at my WalMart group room (info how to access is at the end of this document). You can print whatever you’d like from there to use in your albums for your shows. I also send the link to MY group room to my hostesses (not the other UL Demonstrators rooms – they’re for demonstrators only) so they can pass that link along to guests to see before they come to the OH. Or if they choose to do a book show this is a great way for them to see other ideas.
ENTERING ORDERS INTO UL EXPRESS
If the customer has already registered on Customer Corner, you can just pick them from the list when they place an order. Otherwise you’ll need to enter their name &amp; any other information you want/need. This is a good reason to push going online and looking at the catalog beforehand ☺
All payments made by customers are to you personally – cash or check. If you decided to do ProPay, then the credit cards are charged and the money goes into your ProPay account. YOU are responsible to pay for the entire OH or individual order yourself. You can decide if you want to make sure the checks clear before placing the order to know you have the $$ in your account. I’ve never had a problem with receiving payments, but you never know.
Keep tabs on how long it is taking UL to ship orders. You can see this in UL Express from the Orders tab, the date will be in the upper right-hand corner. A good idea is to check this before going to an Open House, so if anyone asks to book a show, you can plan it so they’ll have their expressions in time from this show to put up before they host their own show.
Entering orders is rather self-explanatory online. At the top, you’ll notice some bold text appear if they hit the $20, $50, $75 or $100 product rewards reminding you to enter their qualified reward(s). If you have ANY questions, just ask!
One thing that took me a little while to remember that when a guests spends $50, $75 or $100 or more in product (not including S&amp;H and tax), they earn up to three free customer expressions of the month – you need to find out what color they’d like it/them in ☺
UL will send you (and I believe the hostess) an email when the order ships. I also follow up with the hostess and let her know it has shipped and give her the tracking number. Then I ask if she could let me know that it arrived safely and everything is correct in the order.
Your statistics on the right side of the UL Express home page updates nightly at midnight Mountain-time (2 hours behind us).
Minimum Requirement Levels
Associate Demonstrator $300/quarter
Senior Demonstrator $600/quarter
Director $1200/quarter
Senior Director $1500/quarter
Executive Director $1500/quarter
Gold Director $2000/quarter
Platinum Director $2000/quarter
<TABLE dir=ltr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=661 border=1><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="37%" height=17>