WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

born2shop81
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
First I'm new here. I'm interested in starting an online scrapbook store as a way to turn a hobby into making extra money. My problem is I don't knowhow to create a website to buy products from.

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy computer program to use? Or an online service? Or should I use a website likeeCrater?
Idon't want topay someone to create a website for because I'm looking at paying over$1,000. That would limit the supplies and products that I could buy.

Any advice/suggestions are welcomed.

lorah
08-07-2008, 02:39 AM
I have always used "free" site builders. Like Tripod. There are some that say it can't possibly work, but I think it can. I know that Go Daddy has a free website builder if you buy your domain name from them. The hosting is inexpensive too. There is another place, I think it's called RMH Hosting that you can buy your domain name, create a website and they will host it for something like $60 a year. There are options out there, it just takes some searching to find the right one for you. Best of luck with your store!

CuddlesAndCo
08-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I am with 2 scrapbooking direct sales companies, so I have websites through them. But you may want to try a website called ScrapBiz.com It is for scrapbook companies and websites...not exactly certain of everything that they offer, but it cannot hurt to ask them.

Good Luck!

lorah
08-08-2008, 12:44 AM
I am a member of Scrapbiz. They don't offer websites. Although, there are women on there that do web design and hosting. I've seen some of the sites they've built and they are really great! It is a group of women who have their own scrapbooking businesses. They run the gamut of brick and mortar stores, web stores and everything in between. It is full of tons of information, but you have to be a member to access any of it. GREAT way to do business! You learn an awful lot from everyone there! I LOVE IT!

CuddlesAndCo
08-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Oh thanks for explaining Lora...that would have been awesome when I had a brick and mortar gift and scrapbook shop for 5 years! There are many more resources available now than then to help!

lorah
08-08-2008, 04:10 AM
You're welcome! It IS an awesome thing. But you don't need to own a brick and mortar store to join. It is for people in the scrapbooking industry that are tired of only earning 20% with DS scrapbooking companies. You truly have your OWN business with Scrapbiz. They have worked hard to get major manufacturers to work with home based businesses. You do what you want with no one telling you that you can't. I love it!

born2shop81
08-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Thank you, Teresa. I'll check them out!!!

Which companies are you with? I'm assuming Stampin Up and CTMH?

born2shop81
08-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Thank you Lora!

I'll check them out. Maybe get some encouragement from them...

CuddlesAndCo
08-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Lora I am actually with Memory Works and ACBailey. MW only has a 20% commission, but ACBailey gives consultants 25% plus you can sign up for their frequent buyer club in addition to that and earn additional products of (I think it is $25 for every $250 you spend but I would have to dbl check).

Here are my links for both, and it sounds like maybe I should check into ScrapBiz more one day:

http://www.acbaileyltd.com/affiliates/jrox.php?uid=teresacurtis

http://teresacurtis.Memory-Works.com

I am heading out for a family reunion for the weekend this afternoon, but if you have any questions I will answer them before I leave if I can or after I get home.

lorah
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
That's why I decided to purchase Scrapbiz's binder of info. I have a really hard time with 20% or even 25% when I can make between 40 and 50%. I'm not limited in advertising, and I can go as big or stay as small as I like, my percentage doesn't change. If I don't buy anything, no big deal, if I buy something, great. There are just too many options with Scrapbiz that you can't get with a DS company.

CuddlesAndCo
08-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I know what you mean...after having my own retail storefront I was used to buying true wholesale...but I cannot do the minimums and the inventory of doing that anymore...just no room with my other business which is my main one (traveling stuff your own animal parties), and I do not need tons of products that I may not sell. What is the min's like with SB?

lorah
08-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Each manufacturer/distributor has different minimums. None of them are horrifically high. Kim has done an awesome job for her affiliates. It is definitely worth the investment in the information and the message board. The women are so helpful. The website is http://www.scrapbiz.com Once I joined Scrapbiz, I just couldn't wrap my head around the low commissions of the DS companies. If you take your income from a workshop, then deduct all your expenses, I don't see how there is anything left. I love that with Scrapbiz, I do what I want and just like the DS companies, I am never alone. The message board allows me to ask questions and get amazing help from women who have been with SB from the beginning. I'm a firm believer in Scrapbiz and their business model!

thecropchick
10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
GOOGLE!!!!!!!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1