WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Gym vs Home

OrangeSmoke20
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I have been given the opportunity to get a year membership for my family at our local YMCA for only $54 a month which includes the pool and all the fitness equipment (plus more).
I have been stuck at this 175lb weight for so long now that i am thinking I need to change up. I have been buying different types of workout videos and being good on my eating but I just can't seem to break through.
For those of you who do workouts at home and go to the gym...do you feel the gym is definitely worth it? Does it give you a much better workout then doing workouts at home?
I think more then anything I am looking forward to the pool plus they offer FREE pilates classes and yoga classes which is awesome!
I would love your thoughts.
Thanks!
DAWN

FV Mom
03-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I say go for it! It's good to break up the monotomy once in a while and change things up to keep it interesting. Plus I've read a lot lately that lifting heavy is the way to break through a plataeu and I'm not trying to fill my apartment with weight any time soonsmileys/smiley36.gif 54 bucks is a steal ,jump on it girl!

Craftgrrl
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Dawn, I have to agree with Kassandra. I do not know where I would be without the gym. The other day someone told a friend of mine they want what it is that I take from Herbalife as a supplement and natural water pill. They said they wanted it because I was doing so well. I said to my friend, "Did you tell them it's not because of thevitamins but because when I work out it's for an hour and half to2 hours at a timeat the gym each time???" That has been the thing that has saved me. I didn't work out this weekend but then I went to the gym last night and worked my butt off and it shows, even on the scale this morning. I put new music on my MP3 and blast it when I work out. I say go for it. I think you just might have a lot of fun. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gifWhatever it is you decide, I think you're gonna reach your goal soon because you're awesome.

cup-o-chai
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
That's fantastic! Congrats!

angienewton
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Dawn,
I say definitely go for it IF you will use it. We are paying approx. $70/mo. and we don't get a pool but this first month has been awesome. I have not seen a whole lot of movement on the scale but I can almost bet that I'll have some inchloss when I check in this month or next.

It's funny you ask because I have this topic down to write about on my new blog.

I would go for it because it is so much fun and the variety is nice. Let us know what you decide.

Lori Moreno
03-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Gym!

Lorihttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

OrangeSmoke20
03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. We are going to join. Definitely for the fitness center but also for the pool! I burn very easily and so do my kids so this allows us to swim yet not be exposed to the sun for a very long time.
I am actually quite excited. Hoping to get there by early next week to start!

IBringTheSpa2U
03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
The gym will definitely give you more options, so if you are looking for variety, go for the gym membership. Have fun!!

scolly
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Great deal. Have fun.
You never get bored in a gym

mommytotwo
03-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I have done both, and I prefer working out at home, it is easier for me. Heck, we get a free family membership at the Y (DH is in management there) and I have gone one time. But, that is just me. I have had many times in my past when going to the gym motivates me more than working out at home. Plus, it gives you a chance to change up your workouts and do things you wouldn't normally do, such as swimming, etc.

I am glad to hear that you are going to join. I think, especially if you are at a plateau with your weight, joining the Y could really help get you unstuck!

simplesahm
03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I *almost* got a treadmill with our tax return but opted to use the money for a gym membership instead.

I have preschoolers - so the biggest *perk* to the gum is using the childcare center and getting a bit of a break. So far, I've needed 7 - 1 hour breaks this week so I am feeling pretty fit! =)

IMHO - for WAHMS / SAHMS - the gym is a great choice. It gives us a chance to feel better...and actually get out of the house! =)

Keep us posted on how it goes!

OrangeSmoke20
03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks a bunch for all of your answers. I didn't get there today...hoping by beginning of next week!
I agree with you Simple....this is going to be a nice break from my son because one of our perks too is free baby sitting. Not sure if my son will like it or not but tough...LOL...momma needs to break through her plateau and get to 165 before summer gets here!

Janet A
03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
It certainly depends on priorities. Is time a priority so a home gym works best or getting out of the house and getting external motivation a priority? I've done both.

murphyj
03-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Dawn,
I joined a fitness club with a pool and paying a monthly dues makes me go because I want to get my moneys worth, so I have lost 9 pounds in 8 weeks
and i like to swim for exercise,the weather where I live is COLD I'm from the midwest,so going on the treadmill inside is better than walking outside,
well good luck to you.

Jim Murphy

Bev S
03-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I just starting going to our community center last week. My youngest wanted to go so that she could use the treadmill, so we've got about 6 times in the past two weeks. I LOVE it!

I've worked out at home a lot, we have a gazelle and an elliptic, and I'm still planning to use those too, but we've been going to the center right after I get off work and I'm home by 5:30 or so.

It's not big, but they do have 6 treadmills, several bikes and stair climbers plus a few other things I haven't tried yet. Plus, a lot of weight machines! I've been going a half hour on the treadmill, then 20 minutes on the bike, then going around the weight machines.

You can either pay as you go, or get a membership. We're just paying as we go now because once the weather breaks, I'm not sure if we'll use it as much.

Bev

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1