WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : New Site Done, but it's 4:20 AM

AlisonMSmith
01-10-2008, 04:25 AM
It's done. Or so I think. But at 4:20 in the morning, who can tell?

I've updated every single page, added all the new BookWise info, created a new ebook, moved some stuff around, and changed domains (hint: never buy a dot biz domain! You are immediately suspect!)

I'd love to wake up in three or four hours (although my 4-year-old isn't likely to allow that luxury) to find that no one found any broken links or problems. But I'd be happy, even, to hear about navigation or other problems that appear.

Many thanks in advance if you can take a few minutes to give me some new eyes on the site. The link is in my sig.

My brain's fried. The sinus headache isn't helping...

Goodnight!

AlisonEdited by: BookWhiz.biz

Yuliya Mironova
01-10-2008, 06:36 AM
at 4:20 in the morning, who can tell?

I can understand how I manage to be up at 4.20am every day, because I live on polyphasic sleep (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/) but I'm having difficulty imagining how you can manage it with all those children living at home, and still survive!

I've updated every single page, added all the new BookWise info, created a new ebook, moved some stuff around, and changed domains

Just the usual light evening's work, then? Nothing too taxing ... smileys/smiley5.gif

Many thanks in advance if you can take a few minutes to give me some new eyes on the site.

I took more than a few minutes. Sadly, I'm in no way competent or qualified to make any technical comments, but from my position as someone "theoretically interested" I think it's all absolutely brilliant, and definitely one of the very best distributor websites I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds, maybe thousands). Well done!

AlisonMSmith
01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Yulia, I can't tell you how nice that is to hear this morning. Thank you, so much.

Do you sleep that way by choice or because of other constraints? How did you adjust?

I've been a night owl since birth. That's no exaggeration--my (poor!) parents and sister (with whom I shared a room until I was a teen) can attest to it. So I'm always interested in how people change these things.

I've tried all sorts of things to change that: different sleep patterns, light boxes, etc. I think the real answer is to make the days longer. If only days could be 28-30 hours long, I'd be good!

Anyway, a sincere thanks to you for your time and kind words.

Alison

JessicaByers
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Alison,

your site looks GREAT....GOOD WORK!!!!!smileys/smiley10.gif

so what time did you get up this morning?

I am very often up til 1-2am in the morning (not 4am though..lol) and then up 6am...i used to sleep allot but since i started to work at home i have so much going on in my mind that i just don't have time to sleep...lol....and i also have small kids who wake up 6-7am...but that's life...smileys/smiley36.gif

Edited by: tjtj1417

Yuliya Mironova
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Do you sleep that way by choice or because of other constraints? How did you adjust?

Sorry in advance if my replying takes your thread briefly off-topic, but I'll risk it since you asked! I tried this absolutely from choice, no constraints at all, and with some support and plenty of information (I think you know Jana is a neurophysiologist? She has studied and researched this extensively, used to work in a sleep research laboratory and so on). I wanted to try to improve and regularise my sleeping pattern and gain an extra 2 or 3 hours in every 24. I started it off around the time I left the UK last summer on the "try an upheaval at a time when you have another upheaval anyway" theory. I acclimatised very slowly and now entirely successfully. It takes months, not just weeks, to change sleeping patterns. I have never slept less or better, never felt less tired, never lived to such a suitable timetable (I don't do it exactly as described on that website: I now have one four-hour chunk of sleep at almost exactly the same time every night/morning and either 3 or 4 other half-hour sleeps at roughly equal intervals throughout the rest of the "day". It's all about balancing "REM sleep" and "non-REM sleep" (ask Jana!). It would not suit most people, of course, but for me, it has been brilliantly successful.

AlisonMSmith
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Thank you, Jessica! I got up at 6:59, first, and then went back to sleep until about 7:30 and then got up about 7:45 when the plastic bowls crashed down on the stone tile (indicating starving children...). smileys/smiley17.gif Unfortunately, I couldn't get to sleep until after 5:00. Like you, my head is always buzzing with ideas. Can't turn it off.

Wow, Yulia, that's great. I didn't know that Jana had worked in sleep research. I knew she should be my friend. :)

The four-hour chunk is about what I do anyway. It's just trying to figure out how to put the four half-hours in there somewhere. I'll ask Caleb if he'll sit quietly at regular intervals for me! smileys/smiley2.gif

Alison

cybermommy
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
One can hope Alison smileys/smiley2.gif
I have a very energetic 2 year old ,whom I'm sure has no concept of tiredness lol

I am a nightowl and usually will be on the pc at 2am,then sleep until about 6.30ish.
I am used to it now,and when I do try to get an early night my brain doesn't follow suit!

And yes,your site looks very good,you did an excellent job there.
I liked the clean and ordered layout and plenty of information there smileys/smiley10.gif

Kara

AlisonMSmith
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Kara.

I did find that my EMAIL address was wrong. That's brilliant, eh?

Alison

Lori Moreno
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Looks great Alison!

From one night owlhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif to anotherhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif.....

Get some zzzzzzs

Lorihttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

dreed
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
_popupControl();
The site looks great. I hope to get mine to look that good soon. It must be a nice feeling when you can finally say finished! Not sure I could even stay awake that long anymore.

AlisonMSmith
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Lori and dreed.

Finished? I don't think that ever occurs with a web site, does it? It's a perpetual motion machine.smileys/smiley4.gif Tonight I added to the FAQ--which I SHOULD be doing every time I type out an answer for someone, but haven't done.

And guess what, it's only 10:20 and I think I'm going to bed. To read, at least. smileys/smiley4.gif

Alison

Lori Moreno
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
You're going to bed now?

k

Nite!

Have fun reading!

Sweet dreams!

Lorihttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley23.gif

Yuliya Mironova
01-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Finished? I don't think that ever occurs with a web site, does it? It's a perpetual motion machine.

So I heard. Between you and me this slightly puts me off getting involved with them, I see them taking over people's lives and sometimes wonder to what extent it's really an income-producing activity, to what extent it becomes a time-consuming hobby, and to what extent some of the people who become website-owners/managers might have done better using all that time on more old-fashioned activities, but I do recognise that thinking this makes me very cynical and skeptical and old-fashioned, and that some people do brilliantly with them! smileys/smiley5.gif

AlisonMSmith
01-11-2008, 09:42 AM
OK, so I ended up watching the Republican debate with Sam and stayed up until 12:30. Whatever.

Yulia, you're spot on, but I'd say it's a better hobby than, say, watching sitcoms. smileys/smiley1.gif

I made my first site in 1994 for a home business called Bright Spark Press. Before that I had been doing some small software projects and desktop publishing, so the web stuff brought in what I enjoyed.

To me, doing the sites combines something I really love to do with the business.

Besides, since I hate scrapbooking, I have to find SOMETHING to do with my time. smileys/smiley2.gif

Alison

JohnBrady
01-11-2008, 01:16 PM
It's done. Or so I think. But at 4:20 in the morning, who can tell?

I've updated every single page, added all the new BookWise info, created a new ebook, moved some stuff around, and changed domains (hint: never buy a dot biz domain! You are immediately suspect!)

I'd love to wake up in three or four hours (although my 4-year-old isn't likely to allow that luxury) to find that no one found any broken links or problems. But I'd be happy, even, to hear about navigation or other problems that appear.

Many thanks in advance if you can take a few minutes to give me some new eyes on the site. The link is in my sig.

My brain's fried. The sinus headache isn't helping...

Goodnight!

So, Alison I love your site. Does Bookwise let you control the content so that you can optimize it yourself?

Alison

Top Marketer
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
You know what would be cool? After you take the little quiz, instead of just a close button,
you hit a button that reads "see your results."

That takes you to a page with a brief description for various score ranges.

Of course, a perfect score would mean you're a genius and are definitely qualified to come on board.

Anyway, that would be fun!

Site looks great

Tod

AlisonMSmith
01-15-2008, 10:41 PM
So, Alison I love your site. Does Bookwise let you control the content so that you can optimize it yourself?Alison

John, sorry I missed this. Yes, BookWise is actually really good about letting us share the business in a way that fits us--and that can be optimized if we are so inclined. Love that.

Tod, I agree. That would be much better!

So, the top score it 140. I have said that a score of at least 70 would be a candidate to join. Anyone care to help me pick some descriptions? I'd like the to be truly helpful, but maybe a little funny, too. How about a breakdown like this:

120-140 =

100-120 =

70-100 =

Below 70 =

Any ideas?

Alison