WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Any Prior Service Members Here?

Leo Andre
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I am currently in the US Air Force and I'll be separating in November. That will put me at 8 years in the service. I joined at 17 and never had a civilian job prior to the AF. Needless to say, I'm kind of nervous about it all. Anyone have any tips/advice on what I should do, expect, etc? I am married and have 1 daughter who is turning 3 in a few months.

ngfhorn
01-05-2008, 01:36 AM
_popupControl();
I'm not sure the Air Force's version of preparing for separation from the military but the Army has the TAPS program which is the transition assistance program. Some of it may be boring but a lot of it (especially in dealing with the VA) is very important. ALSO if you have not become a member of USAA, do it now before you separate. USAA has the best rates for active and former service members for car loans and insurance, etc. It was the best decision I made before I left. Also, try to do some networking prior to your separation as far as where you will live. If you are staying in VA (from your area code) then I would recommend checking out your local job fairs that are coming up. Depending on your MOS you might not have to worry about the lack of civilian work. Good luck!

FoundInNature
01-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Also, you might try looking into websites that are looking for veterans to fill jobs. For instance, RecruitMilitary.com. There are also sites that are looking for people with active clearances (if that applies to you).

My transition wasn't so bad since my husband was/is still active duty. I'm still "in" so to speak. Just check out all the available services while you're still connected to a base.

Oh, if you're looking for a government job, you can check out USAJobs.com.

Good luck!

Deanna

Cornelius
01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
You've got 8 years in, don't forget to consider employment that will get you to your pension years. It may not seem like a big thing now, but later
on it might. Companies today basically don't offer pensions anymore and the cost of healthcare is going up..