WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Late Night Cravings

OrangeSmoke20
05-21-2007, 09:02 PM
HI Everyone,
I read daily here, and sounds like alot of people are sticking to their goals and losing weight....BIG CONGRATS! I am down 38lbs now, and very happy with that...about 20 more to go and then I will set another goal for myself!

My question is how to do deal with late night cravings? The late nighteating thing started about 6 1/2 years ago when I got pregnant with my daughter and had diabetes. I had to eat before I went to be in order to maintain my sugar levels throughout the night. Then came my son, and I was diabetic again and had to eat before I went to bed. Now it has become a neccessity! The only thing is I want to eat bad things. Last night was HORRIBLE...all the commercials on TV (I hate Dairy Queen and KFC commercials...LOL) and the shows I was watching....I almost drove myself mad, but stuck with it and didn't eat the bad stuff. Tonight was a little easier and I ended up eating fresh green beans just to get a little crunch.
Any tips on how to avoid these cravings? I have been pretty good up (not really good only pretty good)until last night, and last night was BAD! They should ban commercials with yummy food on them after 8pm...LOL! Any advice would be GREAT?

Thanks bunches!
DAWN

kristy2
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't have any advice. I'm sitting here at 10:00 fighting the urge to go into the kitchen. I've been fighting it for 2 hours. My tummy is growling!!

OrangeSmoke20
05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh I feel ya on that one. I am on the net because of that craving and because TV keeps showing those dangDQ commercials : (
DAWNEdited by: OrangeSmoke20

jnmurra
05-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I agree - they ought to ban those commercials! UGH! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

We actually just talked about this not long ago and something I and another person here (happymommy) did to battle our nighttime eating was have a cup of herbal tea. I drink chamomile and I'm not sure what kind she drinks, but obviouslytry onewithout caffeine.

Now, what I do is if I must have something (you know how you get - you can't stop thinking about it, you gotta have it or you just can't sleep...lol), then I will grab a piece of fruit or something healthy. Usually it's an orange. Then I will go to bed. It was definitely hard at first, so I understand your pain.

Another Viewpnt
05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
If you're running at a slight calorie deficit for your day's calories, then eating something before bed won't turn to fat (again -- if overall your cals are at a deficit).

What I like to do is spread out my mini-meals all through the day, with my last one being around 8:00. Usually I avoid starchy carbs, but I'll even have those sometimes too.

Instead I choose a healthy fat and a protein. For example, I'll have peanuts (or almonds) and milk. Or cottage cheese. Or chicken and veggies. Sometimes I'll even have a natural PB sandwich and milk before bed.

I've done this for years whether my goal is to put on mass or cut fat -- and it works as long as it fits into your overall calorie goals and macro goals for the day. Like for example, several years ago I always ate about 350 cals right before bed (generally milk, whey and peanuts) -- and still lost 30 pounds doing it.

So if you have the nighttime munchies, consider spreading out your meals a bit more so that you can have one late.

Cheers,
Becky

kristy2
05-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Well I just went to bed.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

I def. wasn't ata calorie deficit for the day and everything I wanted would've turned straight to fat!

mommytotwo
05-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I just go to bed when I start craving food- LOL. If I absolutely have to have something, I would try to eat something like low-fat string cheese or maybe some almonds, which are very filling!

mctaza1
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Last night the cravings were killing me...but I indulged a bit around the 3pm, so I knew I couldn't do it again last night.

Great job on already losing 38 lbs!!!

Yogi
05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Hungry at night means you need more food early.

Eat breakfast, mid morning snack, and lunch. Think protein and fiberas best you can. Don't skip them because you are not hungry. You are not hungry because you are eating late at night. Chicken and egg thing, so eat more early, later you will be fine once you break the habit portion of the problem.

A little more fiber at dinner helps too.

caitalexmommy
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
It helps me to eat smaller meals throughout the day like 6 "mini meals" instead of 3 big meals. Also, if you are absolutely craving chocolate or whatever, eat it. As long as it's only every now and then, it's not going to kill you. It's better to eat a piece of candy or slice of cake today than to crave it for a week and binge one day. Good luck!

OrangeSmoke20
05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice. Things have been better in the craving department. I also went and purchased some more crackers that are low in fat to help me get through the tough times. I am so use to eating at night, I have to get myself out of that habit and it is a tough one for sure!
Thanks again!
DAWN

jnmurra
05-25-2007, 04:27 AM
You know, I had never heard of this, but I was reading an article last night at MDB that addresses this very issue. The MDB fitness folks have always recommended not eating 3 hours before bed. So there is an article there called "What to Do When You're Starving Before Bed," by Steve Edwards/Fitness Advisor. Since I don't want to copy and paste it, it basically says that you don't want to go to bed with carbs and fat in your stomach, and if you are truly (I think that may be the key here) feeling hungry, it's a sign indicating a lot of muscle breakdown. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif

The article goes on to say that if you're experiencing muscle breakdown, you need protein especially at night because that's when your muscles do most of their recovery. And to have a protein shake without anything extra added (like milk, fruit, etc.).

So I guess the key thing is whether you're truly hungry. I personally think I was munching because of it being a habit, but I guess if you really are hungry, it's better to get some protein than nothing at all?

I learn something new every day! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1