WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : soy vs whey protein

lilmisssunshine
05-20-2007, 03:57 AM
i've got a whey protein shake that i love.

but recently i've been looking at some high protein/low carb recipes which call for soy protein isolate.

do you think i can use the whey? or does it really make a difference?

love,
shannon

happymommy
05-20-2007, 07:55 AM
What kind of recipes are they? I'm not quite sure if it would matter or not. I know there are some soy proteins designed specifically for cooking/baking. I wonder if that's what they are calling for?

lilmisssunshine
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
well, the one i am especially interested in is a pumpkin fritter.
but yes, they do seem to be using it in place of flour for baking recipes. i suppose i'll see if i can find some of the soy protein isolate when i'm out today.
love,
shannon

happymommy
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
hmmm...That sounds good. Can you post the recipe when you get time? lol

lilmisssunshine
05-20-2007, 03:53 PM
sure. here ya go:

Pumpkin Fritters
Mix these 2 ingreients together:
*1 cup Libbeys plain canned pumpkin
*1 large egg

Blend these together:
*1/2 tsp ground ginger
*1 tsp ground cinnamon
*1/4 tsp ground cloves
*6 packets splenda
*1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Soy protein isolate

Oil or lard for frying

*Mix the dry ingredients in with the pumpkin egg mixture, then set aside while you heat the oil or lard, drop by teaspoon into the hot fat until a deep golden brown, drain on paper towels and serve hot.

I get between 18 & 24 depending on the size I want, they puff up beautifully & are very light.

Nutritional information based on 18 servings and assumes that a couple of tablespoons of shortening will be absorbed in the frying.
just a note...i haven't made these yet, so i don't know if they are good or not. but i tried a similar recipe many years ago. they were great when you ate them immediately, but pretty yucky after they cooled. i suspect that these might be similar. i plan on making only what i'm going to eat and then saving the extra batter in the fridge.

love,
shannon

lilmisssunshine
05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
FYI--i made the fritters today and they turned out pretty good.

i used the strawberry whey protein that i had on hand. (tried to buy the soy protein yesterday, but the only one they had was chocolate with lots of sugar added). i burned them, but i think it's cuz the oil was too hot.

they came out pretty flat like pancakes. i was expecting something a bit more puffed up and i wonder if the soy protein would have made that happen?

anyway, taste was pretty good.
love,
shannon

Kitt B Fit
05-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Shannon, sounds like you're having fun experimenting with the recipes!
I hope you'll continue to pass these along- I'm always looking for ways to sneak whey protein shake powder into my 3 year old's food for supplementation. She's so fickle! LOL! I hate to heat it up because it kills the active enzymes, but I guess even without the enzymes it's still great nutrition for her little body.

Looking forward to hearing about more of your cooking exploits!

To your best health,
--Kitt

lilmisssunshine
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
since you asked....

today i also tried mixing the protein powder with whipped cream! i used about half a scoop of the powder with a small bowl of whipped cream. it was a little chewy (it does that when i mix it with milk too), but was kind of a fruity mousse!

love,
shannon

Kitt B Fit
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, that's a great idea! I should give pudding a try too. Thanks for the great tip!

BTW, on a side note, are you teaching in Japan NOW? I've always wanted to go abroad to teach! My old teaching buddy (we taught SpEd together) teaches in Chiang Mai (Thailand) and another friend of mine also teaches in Japan. Perhaps when my little one is older, we'll have to do it- what an experience!

Be WELL!
--Kitt

lilmisssunshine
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
not anymore...
i've been back in the us for almost 2 months now.
but i loved it. and i do know of someone who was teaching in japan who had a small child, so don't let anyone tell you it can't be done!
love,
shannon

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1