Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Super WAHM

Default Search Engine Ranking Importance

The importance of your website is assessed using various algorithms of a search engine; prominent aspects being:

-PageRank: A measure of the PageRank of your web page on a scale of 0 to 10. Google Toolbar tells you the topic-independent, absolute importance of a web page, 0 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. Each PR value between 1 and 10 is 6-times more important than its previous number. For example, PR5 is 6-times more important that PR4.

-Links from "Authoritative" Documents: Links coming from documents considered having higher authority in a particular industry.. links from reputed industry sites or pages having several incoming "related-industry" links. Links from authoritative documents add both, "importance" and "relevance" to your web pages. There are no publicly available qualitative tools to identify or qualify a document as being "authoritative". Search Engines like to keep this information a secret.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 AM
WAHM Regular

You make a great point getting links from authority site can make a huge difference when it comes down to ranking.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks and hope it can help you in the future..
Good day..
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
WAHM Regular

More than 80% online comes directly from search engines and therefore search engines rankings (or well search engines rankings) are the most important thing for any online business.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile

I have been working on getting ranked higher in the search engines. I'm moving along in Google (I've been ranked 17th as the highest) and have only been blogging since April. I am having problems in Yahoo and Bing.

Thanks for sharing this!

Jess
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate.reber View Post
The importance of your website is assessed using various algorithms of a search engine; prominent aspects being:

-PageRank: A measure of the PageRank of your web page on a scale of 0 to 10. Google Toolbar tells you the topic-independent, absolute importance of a web page, 0 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. Each PR value between 1 and 10 is 6-times more important than its previous number. For example, PR5 is 6-times more important that PR4.

-Links from "Authoritative" Documents: Links coming from documents considered having higher authority in a particular industry.. links from reputed industry sites or pages having several incoming "related-industry" links. Links from authoritative documents add both, "importance" and "relevance" to your web pages. There are no publicly available qualitative tools to identify or qualify a document as being "authoritative". Search Engines like to keep this information a secret.
All,

A great site to check the page rankings of any site including your site is Alexa the Web Information Company.

This is a great site for checking rankings and also for searching for high traffic sites in your niche to possibly utilize other marketing strategies on, for example: banner advertising.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate.reber View Post

-PageRank: Each PR value between 1 and 10 is 6-times more important than its previous number. For example, PR5 is 6-times more important that PR4.
Just to let people know, unless Google came out with something that I missed in the past 9+ years, this is utter nonsense. Google has hinted that there is an exponential relationship between ranks on the PR scale, but they have never come out and said what that number is. I don't know where "6" came from.

It is pure speculation how much more significant a PR5 page is to a PR4 page.

Also, as a side note, there is no way to see your actual page rank. Google keeps that secret so that people cannot learn how to manipulate it as easily.

If I am wrong, I apologize and would love for someone to point me to this information.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF0421 View Post
Just to let people know, unless Google came out with something that I missed in the past 9+ years, this is utter nonsense.
Yep there is a lot of MISinformation being shared here.

And no one but Google knows a sites PR just like you said. This info is just copy and pasted all over various forums
Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
WAHM Addict

I've got a free toolbar from SEObook and it shows me the page rank of the pages that I visit. You can also just ask for a Google search such as http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=what+is+my+pagerank+i n+google&cp=29&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&aq=0s&aq i=&aql=&oq=what+is+my+page+rank+in+googl&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a34f7f1872f21971& biw=1600&bih=658
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccartyjess View Post
I have been working on getting ranked higher in the search engines. I'm moving along in Google (I've been ranked 17th as the highest) and have only been blogging since April. I am having problems in Yahoo and Bing.

Thanks for sharing this!

Jess
Being in the 17th position for your keywords is a good sign that you are seeing some improvement in your ranking. But, you are still not there as far as getting traffic is concerned. If you truly want to get decent amount of traffic, you would have to be at least in the top three slots which are the top three position. Those three positions generate a total of 80% percent of traffic.