View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned

After trying several different scenarios, I find I am most productive by setting certain days where I try to get the largest share of work done and then scheduling lightly on other days.

Mon, Tues and Wed are push days here and I may work 12 or more hours. On those three days I might typically work from 4-6 am, break to do morning animal chores and send hubs to work, back at work by 730 and work till 330, break for 2 hours for chores and dinner, then back at 530 or 6 and work until 10ish. Thurs, Fri and Sat are 4 hour work days, unless I have an unexpected deadline. Sundays are off, and typically involve dinner with grown kids and their families.

It helps that my children are grown and gone, of course, but I have dairy cows and a small farm, large gardens, etc, so it averages out. Also helps that I bake and cook extra meals on the short days and on Sunday and freeze them to use on the long work days, Housework, errands etc are all on the short work days.
This works for me because I find that the reward of the short days and the dedicated day off on Sunday make me eager to work long and hard on the 3 push days. (This Thursday at noon will hopefully find me sitting outside in the sunshine with a large home brewed latte!)

As my business is not quite 2 years old and still in the building stages, direct orders only make up about half my work so far, the rest comes off of 4 other sites and the building up of residuals. I keep a running total of the dollar count on a sticky on the computer and I know where I need to be at the end of each work day to hit my goals for the week, month and year which keeps me motivated. For instance if I want to build a new barn in July, I know what I have to have done by then to pay for it.