View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Anyone have experience with Kumon?

My son is 9, in 4th grade and seriously struggling with math. He's been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning autism) and has horrible meltdowns. This is fairly typical for kids Asperger's.

He doesn't tolerate help from me or his dad, but will work with others (at school) who are there to help him... so, I thought tutoring might be the right route to go.

I just spoke to someone from Kumon on the phone and they start the child a couple years behind we're they're currently at, give them daily (20 minute) math assignments (has me somewhat concerned, except that they start him out at a much simpler level... before he lost his way in math), and then they have work they complete at Kumon twice a week.

It's not really the 1 on 1 tutoring I was hoping for, but I can see it's benefit. I was actually thinking about signing him up for this and then finding a tutor to work with him on his current math assignments from school, but just have the tutor meet with him a couple times a week for maybe 45 minutes. I don't want to overwhelm him, but we really need to do something. He's come to the point where he's not even trying anymore.

In every other subject he has an A. So.... I know he's a smart cookie. He's in a regular classroom, and keeps up with the other kids in every other subject.

If anyone has any experiences with Kumon, good or bad, please let me know!

TIA,
~Wendy