Forget the boxed granola bars that are filled with sugar, GMO's and preservatives. Your child can help make these healthy granola bars. Great for snacks, lunches, and dessert!
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup milled golden flax seed
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup raisins OR craisins, OR orgranic chocolate chips
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
3/3 Tsp. salt
1/2 cup organic honey (local, if possible)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup applesauce (any flavor is fine)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (trust me on this)
2 Tsp. vanilla extract
Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl including your choice of raisin, craisins, OR chocolate chips.
- Combine all wet ingredients.
- Dig a hole in your dry ingredients, and pour wet ingredients into hole.
- Stir to combine until moist.
- Pat firmly into the greased pan using the back of a dampened wooden spoon to create a smooth surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just lightly brown around the edges.
- *Important - Let stand for 5 minutes and cut into squares or bars while still warm.
Let completely cool to harden.