By using a Feng Shui home office design, you can turn your office into a relaxing area, where you remain focused and energized. Designing your office using Feng Shui interior design guidelines ensures you create a harmonious, soothing area that reduces stress and elevates your mood.
Basic Principles of Feng Shui
Feng Shui means "wind and water." The ancient Chinese practice follows three principles:
By designing the rooms in your home following the five elements-wood, fire, earth, metal, and water-you enlighten your life energy or Ch'i. Life energy brings balance, harmony, and success to the work-at-home professional.
Feng Shui interior design includes proper placement of your office furniture in conjunction with cardinal directions and colors that heighten your emotional well-being. Incorporating a well-researched Feng Shui home office design promotes success in your business.
Understanding the Five Elements
The five elements (wood, fire, earth, metal and water) each bring a specific quality and meaning to your life.
- Wood's quality is loyalty. The creative element boosts new ideas and family relationships. Green is the color to use for creativity and should be in the eastern corner of your room.
- Fire's quality is reason. Designing a room in fiery red helps boost enthusiasm. Use fire in the southern end of your room.
- Earth establishes honesty. Incorporating yellow into the center of your room boosts reliability and reasoning skills.
- Metal leads to financial success. Use metallic colors like silver or copper in the western area of your room.
- Include water's colors, black and blue, in the northern area of your office. Use water for wisdom or perseverance.
Feng Shui Home Office Design Ideas
Incorporating the five elements into your home office does not require hours of painting. Put these elements into a room using furnishings, artwork, or displays.
For example, you can easily add the water element to your Feng Shui home office design by purchasing a small fish tank and placing it in the northern area of your office. Add earth by adding a yellow throw rug to the center of your room.
Paint your office with a soothing green color (wood), and then add a painting of red roses or an abstract red design (fire) on the south wall. Live plants add green to any room. Bamboo plants meet your need for green in a room and serve a double purpose. Fen Shui experts believe that bamboo discourages theft and increases a sense of peace.
Consider painting your office walls and ceiling shades of brown, which is both relaxing and professional looking. One of the most important rules in Feng Shui is to make sure your wall color varies. Try painting two walls one shade and use a darker shade on opposite walls. This breaks up monotony.
A Feng Shui home office design must eliminate clutter. Clutter distracts and misdirects your Ch'i. Add enough office furniture to your office so that the furniture matches your storage needs. Extra filing cabinets provide document storage and can double as a fish tank table.
Consider a Feng Shui inspired design for your home office, and enjoy a heightened sense of tranquility and success.