You may be wondering if data entry jobs are worth looking into. This is actually a very competitive independent contractor position. However, there are also a lot of employers who are outsourcing this type of work. Therefore, there are some things that you need to consider whenever you are thinking about whether or not data entry jobs are a good option for you.
Lookout for Scams
There are a lot of scams that you need to be on the lookout for. While it is not always easy to spot these scams, there are definitely some things that you should be on the lookout for such as:
- Websites that require you to pay a membership fee. You should never pay for work. Genuine jobs will never require a monetary investment. The only time you may want to consider paying for a data entry job is when you are working through a freelance job site wherein you bid on jobs.
- Websites that list data entry positions for free. Scammers tend to flock to websites like CraigsList.com. Many of them will try to sell you informational products, such as how to make money using AdSense or doing affiliate marketing.
- Websites that tell you that you will get paid for posting ads for them. Usually you will not earn money for posting the ads themselves, but for making sales from the ads that you have posted.
Legitimate Data Entry Jobs
Now that you know what types of scams to avoid, you will also want to know that there are some legitimate data entry work at home jobs as well. These include:
- Litigation coding: involves capturing information from scanned documents so that legal professionals will be able to find it based upon their specific keyword search criteria.
- Medical coding: requires that you enter sensitive medical information.
- Medical or legal transcription: requires that you type the information that you hear on an audio file.
Requirements of Data Entry Jobs
Regardless of what type of data entry jobs you take on, most of them will have the following requirements:
- Entering information from spreadsheets
- Typing information such as names, addresses and numbers
- Editing errors in information
- Preparing letters and reports
- Retyping information that does not yet exist in digital format
- Filing information online
- Entering information into databases
Benefits of This Job
There are some benefits to working from home doing data entry. You will be able to:
- Set your own business hours, as long as you meet your project's deadline
- Save money by not having to hire a babysitter or pay for gas in your car
- Have more free time for your family
- Choose what types of jobs you want to work on
- Determine your own income
There are definitely legitimate data entry jobs available for you if you want to work at home. Unfortunately, these jobs can be difficult to find due to the amount of competition that there is for these positions. Therefore, it may take you several months to actually get a data entry job, but once you do land a job, you will be glad that you did.