Many people who decide to start their own business and work from home do it out of convenience for their family and to earn some extra money. Often it's more like a hobby than a real income-producing opportunity. But, the truth is that if you are dedicated to putting in the time and effort required, you can earn six figures as you work at home.
What Type of Business Do You Want?
Many employers are finding that allowing their employees to work from home is a great incentive because it boosts their production and keeps them happier. Ask if your employer would consider this option for you if you want to work at home, but are worried about starting a business of your own.
If you want your own business, there are many options for you to try.
- Direct/Party Sales. This is a great option for outgoing people who love to meet others and can easily talk up a product to boost sales. With so many options of items to sell, you are sure to find something you love.
- Virtual Assistant. If you have marketable administrative skills, you can sell your skills to many businesses.
- Freelance. Freelance work is similar to a virtual assistant, but the work isn’t as steady as a full-time assistant. You could be hired for special projects or occasions. Popular freelance work includes writing, graphic artistry, and photography.
- Tech support. You would be called when someone has a problem with a product from the company you work for or a product you know you can fix such as WordPress websites or computers.
- Teacher/tutor. Many parents are looking for extra help for their children and are willing to pay good money for it. If you have a subject you are very good at and can show others how to do, this could be a wonderful opportunity for you.
- Translator. Clients would call you when they have a meeting where they need someone to translate. This includes American Sign Language.
- Travel Agent. If you have a talent for research and love to plan vacations, this could be a great job for you.
- Web designer/ programmer. This is one of the hottest jobs right now. If you have the skills to design web pages for businesses, you could quickly have more clients than you can handle.
Many work-from-home opportunities offer the possibility of making six figures a year once you've built a client base and are completely dedicated to working full-time at it. In many cases, you can set your hourly rate at $50 or more than $100 an hour. For some jobs, you may want to set a price per project instead of per hour. You may end up making more money that way. It's up to you since it's your business. You are the boss.
While it is possible to make a lot of money working from home, do not set your expectations too high for your first months in business. It takes time to build a six-figure business, but with the right niche and technology it can be done.