Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Letting a client go...nervous

I have several private clients and last night I faced a few choices. This client has been a bit difficult to deal with over the last few months. He is a bit difficult to follow when it comes to what he wants during each week. He has tried to reject articles based on the information being false when it wasn't. When it references of proof for the article were given, he turned the tables and said "well I don't like the slant of the article." That's a lot different than "the information is false." Every week for several months it seemed like there was some form of conflict with him. The money was okay, but not has high as other clients and even content sites were paying me at the higher levels. It was just more stress than it was worth. So, last night I made the choice to let the client go immediately.

This was a really hard choice for me and I'm scared honestly. I'm letting go of the client for several reasons, but I'm also letting go of a steady amount of money. It just isn't worth it anymore.

Have any of you dropped a client like this? The money is steady, but the issues with the client no longer equal the money? I do have other clients and work so the income won't stop. In fact, I can devote time to the higher paying clients working the same or less with a lot less stress. I'm just worried I guess.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned

You're having a baby in a couple months, so now is the time to let this guy go. Not only is it way too much stress for you, but you will have less time when the baby comes. The higher paying gigs mean a little less work, but for the same amount of money overall. I think it was a good decision. I understand being worried, but like you said, you have plenty of work right now.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Awesome WAHM

Yeah, I do. I have a lot of eggs in the basket, so even if another client were to drop off I can bump up the work with content sites and with other clients easily. The baby is due at the end of the month, we have a move within the next month and a half, closing on a house, family coming in for the birth, etc. It's insane. I'll probably be working the same amount if not more leading up to delivery then taper off for a bit. I just want the flexibility back and the stress to go down. The money each week was just not matching the stress. Also, the client wants 10 to 30 articles each week on the same topic...every week. There's only so much unique you can give week after week.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Super WAHM

Default Letting a Client Go

If you have already decided that it's not worthwhile to work with this client anymore, you can make up the income loss elsewhere, what are you really afraid of?

You have been writing long enough that clients have come and gone for you and you have dealt with that. If you can replace this income, compose the e-mail and tell the client that as of X date, you will no longer be able to accept any further orders. Keep it professional and send your final invoice. Or make sure you get paid first before telling this person that you will not longer be accepting orders.

If you are concerned that he will behave badly when he receives the news, then that's not someone you want to work with anyway. It sounds like it's very stressful to deal with this person.

It sounds like you will not only survive, but thrive, once you let this client go.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Awesome WAHM

Honestly, I'm afraid of what anyone else would be afraid of right now. Finding work is difficult and keeping a steady flow of work is even harder. I'm making the choice to let work go for higher paying work. I don't have misgivings about letting the client go so much as seeing the steady income go. It's what anyone else would be fearful of. No matter how right the choice is, jumping to that choice is still going to leave a person unsettled and that's where I am with it.

I've had very high paying at home positions only to wake up the next morning and not have that position due to company shut downs, lay offs, etc. No matter how many eggs you have in a basket, once you go through that sudden loss of income the thought of stepping away from any income is a bit unnerving. I'm just...at that stage with it. It's nerves mostly.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

You probably already do this, but I find that having a few weeks of average income salted back helps me make better and easier decisions about who I want to work with. The very first PC I ever accepted when I started this early this year was just (nicely) given the boot last week because he wanted to keep adding pages of new information between revisions and it was no longer worth it for me. Now I have more time to concentrate on my other PC's and look for more good ones. Congratulations on your new baby and your new house! My, you will be a busy lady!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Awesome WAHM

I understand the case of nerves. Went through that last year when I dropped a client of four years who paid consistently. The problem was that for the last six months of the relationship, more and more tasks were added to the basic task of writing content. There came a point when what started off as simple and fun assignments had turned into time-guzzling horrors that yielded nowhere enough money to justify the effort.

The good thing is that by jettisoning what had turned into more or less a waste of time for little reward allowed me to devote more time to a new client who paid a similar rate without all the add-ons. That proved to pay off when that new client started allowing me to claim work that paid much better and was still very easy to manage.

I bet that by the end of the year you will pick up another client who will take the place of the one you just let go, and that the working relationship will be free of the stress and the head games.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have a good feeling about it. This client has been consistent in pay, but that's the only upside. The requests were getting insane. The titles he was giving were not titles. They were ideas that made no sense for the topic and I'd spend several emails trying to figure out what he wanted, explaining that the topic would not reach 500 words because he was using something that looked like a question you would see texted into a quick answer company. He would say information was wrong when he really didn't know and when it was backed up he would say he didn't like the angle of the article. In less than 6 months we had to meet almost monthly to discuss the contract and the limits of it over and over again. It was just too much.

This will open the door to more work, higher paying work, less stress. I know its the right choice. It's just scary.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to prosperg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
I have a good feeling about it. This client has been consistent in pay, but that's the only upside. The requests were getting insane. The titles he was giving were not titles. They were ideas that made no sense for the topic and I'd spend several emails trying to figure out what he wanted, explaining that the topic would not reach 500 words because he was using something that looked like a question you would see texted into a quick answer company. He would say information was wrong when he really didn't know and when it was backed up he would say he didn't like the angle of the article. In less than 6 months we had to meet almost monthly to discuss the contract and the limits of it over and over again. It was just too much.

This will open the door to more work, higher paying work, less stress. I know its the right choice. It's just scary.
Can you possibly just take a break? Inform the client about how you feel and that you want to reconsider your working relationship. Maybe give the client a chance first to "redeem" himself. Perhaps he is under stress and will cool down when he realizes he is overly stressing you as well. Tell him how you appreciate his consistency and working with him has helped you in many ways but lately..blah...blah...blah. Perhaps ask him if there is something different going on with his business, why the change. However, if you just want to drop him...then that's fine too. Good Luck and good luck on the birth of your baby!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I totally understand where you're coming from; letting a client, even a pesty client, go is never fun.

I have one now who I'm considering setting free. Nice guy, pays well and consistently, but wants to have a meeting about every single piece of content that goes on his site. I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore...

This ad will disappear if you login