Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hopefully, they'll keep hiring closed off for a good while now.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinyaworksfromhome View Post

That being said, how many lurkers do you think went and tried to apply to WD after seeing this post, even after it was said that all the work dried up quickly?
That's why I cringe when I see posts like this. If I have a problem logging in, I just wait it out. There are numerous reasons why log in errors occur.

When I first joined here, there was a big problem with people blabbing about work being available at numerous sites. Once it became common knowledge that threads like that were hurting more than they were helping, people stopped. I hope these type of threads stop too. A number of lurkers probably ran to go sign up to WD because of this thread.

Wait out the issue. Contact the support of the site that you are having the problem with. You should have the site's support email on file. It's nice to keep these eggs fresh for when we need them. We all have lulls with private clients from time to time.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
That's why I cringe when I see posts like this. If I have a problem logging in, I just wait it out. There are numerous reasons why log in errors occur.

When I first joined here, there was a big problem with people blabbing about work being available at numerous sites. Once it became common knowledge that threads like that were hurting more than they were helping, people stopped. I hope these type of threads stop too. A number of lurkers probably ran to go sign up to WD because of this thread.

Wait out the issue. Contact the support of the site that you are having the problem with. You should have the site's support email on file. It's nice to keep these eggs fresh for when we need them. We all have lulls with private clients from time to time.
To be fair to Lynna (who made the original post), lurkers can't sign up for WD right now. They can waitlist, but that's no guarantee of being hired. I'm sure, if and when WD does open hiring again (hopefully not for a long while), this post will be nowhere near the first page.

I agree with your general point though .

Last edited by AG1976; 11-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1976 View Post
To be fair to Lynna (who made the original post), lurkers can't sign up for WD right now. They can waitlist, but that's no guarantee of being hired. I'm sure, if and when WD does open hiring again (hopefully not for a long while), this post will be nowhere near the first page.

I agree with your general point though .
Well that's good news.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 AM
WAHM Regular

Red face Writers Domain

My apologies mini....and thank you AG1976. I didn't think that asking a question would be such a big problem. Other people do it on here all of the time. I thought that this was what this forum was for.....to help each other and give insight to new information.

I don't understand why this was an issue when people are on here everyday giving leads to new writing sites and other information. I try to help people and not worry about work being taken away from myself anyway, so maybe I am wrong for doing that. I just figure that it is the right thing to do and that there will always be a new road to venture down. Again mini.....my apologies.

lynna
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 AM
WAHM Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to cassandra Send a message via Skype™ to cassandra

It's better to ask questions on their facebook page.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynna View Post
My apologies mini....and thank you AG1976. I didn't think that asking a question would be such a big problem. Other people do it on here all of the time. I thought that this was what this forum was for.....to help each other and give insight to new information.

lynna
You're exactly right on the point being to help each other, but I think so many of us have lost writing jobs or worked on sites that started running out of work, that our defenses have gone up now.

I started out of the gates with Populis and Wikio and loved them both, then they got posted about here and they took on far too many writers. They starting running out of articles, firing most everyone (Populis), or switching to a pathetic rev-share rate only (Wikio.)

It's not the writers' fault, but most companies don't seem to put in any control over how many they hire, what their monthly budget should be, and that's led to problems with so many sites and decent work. It becomes frustrating, and I think that's the point a number of people have reached. I will share leads with friends I've made on WAHM, but I don't post them for everyone to see anymore.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynna View Post

I don't understand why this was an issue when people are on here everyday giving leads to new writing sites and other information. I try to help people and not worry about work being taken away from myself anyway, so maybe I am wrong for doing that. I just figure that it is the right thing to do and that there will always be a new road to venture down. Again mini.....my apologies.

lynna
It's not your fault that these companies hire too many writers and mismanage themselves. Writers just have to be aware of what can happen when you start dropping names on the Internet. Lurkers run to sign up. Work dries up.

If you're serious about writing, you should care about work being taken away from you. People actually live off their writing income. When there are lulls between private clients, it's nice to be able to make some quick money at these sites until things pick up again.

In this business, a lot of our time is devoted to finding new roads(clients). When we find a nice path, we have learned to keep it under wraps and only tell a precious few. If you don't, others will soon make your road unusable. People learned the hard way last year. Some even had to take "outside" jobs.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
It's not your fault that these companies hire too many writers and mismanage themselves. Writers just have to be aware of what can happen when you start dropping names on the Internet. Lurkers run to sign up. Work dries up.
And it's not just here where people are trying to gain work. I signed up for Linked In at the request of a private client and never thought about accepting some links from other writers at WAHM and some of the Linked In Groups. Two of my clients contacted me stating they'd had resumes sent to them looking for writers who saw their companies listed on my Linked In profile and claimed they could do the work for less. I wouldn't walk into a company and say, "Hey, I can do a better job that so-and-so, so hire me instead."
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
And it's not just here where people are trying to gain work. I signed up for Linked In at the request of a private client and never thought about accepting some links from other writers at WAHM and some of the Linked In Groups. Two of my clients contacted me stating they'd had resumes sent to them looking for writers who saw their companies listed on my Linked In profile and claimed they could do the work for less. I wouldn't walk into a company and say, "Hey, I can do a better job that so-and-so, so hire me instead."
That was a pretty underhanded thing for those people to do. Ugh.

This ad will disappear if you login