Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered WAHM

Default TranscribeMe

Hello, anyone know anything about TranscribeMe? It appears you can just sign up, take a test, and then you can start transcibing. I've been wanting to get into transcription but have no training for it and the site says they offer really short files. I thought that would be good practice. I signed up for Speechink and after taking the test 3x I got a qualification score of 93, which is good but it took me over an hour to transcribe 2 and half minutes of a file that I had even become familiar with so I'm looking for somewhere that offers short files so I can get a little confidence before I commit to Speechink's bigger files. Anyone have any thoughts about TranscribeMe? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered WAHM

Default That sounds very interesting

I haven't heard of them, but it does sound very interesting. I look forward to any information anyone has on it...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered WAHM

Ok, I found an article on yahoo news about them saying they are a New Zealand company and the article looked legit, I couldn't find any posts on any forums or anything about them though. That made me leery but I went ahead and signed up since they didn't really ask for any personal information except name, email, and paypal email for payment. Really easy test and passed but no work available when I signed into the workhub. I'll update if I do any work there.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Registered WAHM

I have been typing for them for the last few weeks and just got paid the other day. They are legitimate, but they're new so they're still working out some bugs. I'm new too so this is okay for me. They pay $30 per audio hour, which I know is not a lot for experienced transcriptionists. The premise of this company is that they give you 2-3 minutes of audio to type and submit. It's kind of like Quicktate, but the difference is that you're typing a 2-3 minute portion of a much longer audio. The only thing I don't like about their transcription process is, like Quicktate, you use the keyboard to control the audio vs. a foot pedal, which really slows me down.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Founder of WAH Stars

I'm looking to research more about this company also. I will post if I find anything. Currently, I work for Quicktate and Speakertext (which is now AKA Redwood) so this company appears to be similar.

I applied to Appen Butler Hill but currently there is no work. I tried Speechink several times but like what was mentioned the files are very long and it takes 2 hours or more to transcribe then edit what you did. It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't want verbatim with all the "uhm's" and "ah's" included in the transcription.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered WAHM

Hey, thanks for your reply, good to see someone has some experience with them. I was thinking they were probably a new company. I transcribed a file for them this morning that was 2 minutes long, took me forever haha. I thought I saw somewhere on their site that their files were 8-10 seconds long but looks like they're a few mins each, which is fine. I forgot about Quicktate, I looked at them before but never filled out the application. I'll have to check them out again.
I signed up for Speechink and after taking the test 3 times I finally got a 93 but I'm a little nervous about doing files because they are verbatim. I did good on the test but I listened to it so much and studied my mistakes of course I finally got it right, I'm concerned I'll do terrible with a new file lol. I do plan to keep doing files for them though.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
WAHM Regular

I signed up yesterday and took the exam and passed (easy) but,yeah, on their website it does say 8-10 second segments.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Registered WAHM

Default TranscribeMe

I can tell you about TranscribeMe! It's true you just do short files so it is perfect for someone without much experience. The site is pretty new and the company really want to build a workhub that transcribers find useful so they are listening to feedback and suggestions to make TranscribeMe the best place for people to work no matter how much or how little experience. You can create an account here: workhub.transcribeme.com, if you want to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
Hello, anyone know anything about TranscribeMe? It appears you can just sign up, take a test, and then you can start transcibing. I've been wanting to get into transcription but have no training for it and the site says they offer really short files. I thought that would be good practice. I signed up for Speechink and after taking the test 3x I got a qualification score of 93, which is good but it took me over an hour to transcribe 2 and half minutes of a file that I had even become familiar with so I'm looking for somewhere that offers short files so I can get a little confidence before I commit to Speechink's bigger files. Anyone have any thoughts about TranscribeMe? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered WAHM

Default TranscribeMe file length

Yeah, TranscribeMe changed the length of the files to about 1.5 minutes because transcribers suggested a bit longer would be better. That's a company that listens to their crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfrog View Post
I signed up yesterday and took the exam and passed (easy) but,yeah, on their website it does say 8-10 second segments.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Registered WAHM

Default TranscribeMe info

Hey you can go to workhub.transcribeme.com, register and check them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP View Post
I haven't heard of them, but it does sound very interesting. I look forward to any information anyone has on it...

This ad will disappear if you login