Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Professions > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Former MT, considering general transcription?

Hi. I was just wondering if having 5 years of experience with medical transcription will get my foot in the door as a general transcriptionist or some other form of transcriptionist (not medical.. they keep off-shoring jobs and paying very little because of speech recognition software). How different are they? What's the pay like?

I've been out of work for just over a year but we are in desperate need of cash (so desperate that we are going to start selling our things). I stumbled upon WAHM.com when looking at craigslist's jobs. It wasn't this big the last time I visited.. but that was probably at least 2 years ago. GREAT to see so many more women working from home!

Anyway, I'm looking into other at-home jobs as there are so many opportunities now! I've also got a B.A. but I never imagined it would help me get an at-home job.

I'm so happy to see more at-home opportunities!!

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sadie1Lady1

Absolutely, yes, that will help you get a job anywhere for GT. You can make pretty good money doing GT too. I don't know how it compares to MT, but I'm sure someone will.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of companies with notes on each one, here: http://freelancetranscriptionistroad...ion-companies/. The front page there also has some great articles regarding MT, outsourcing, voice recognition, etc.

For other WAH jobs, check out the telecommuting board here: Telecommuting Moms - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com. New leads are posted all the time.

But with your experience, you should have no problem getting on with GT companies.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered WAHM

Thumbs up Thanks Sadie1Lady1!!

Thank you so much!

It is very encouraging to hear you say that. (Or see what you typed.. lol)

I've been pretty down about losing my job even if it was due to illness (Loooooong story...). I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a job again, and I didn't think that there was anything to do from home except medical transcription or getting paid pennies for answering questions on ChaCha.com (I have a job basically waiting for me at ChaCha but I didn't want to get into all the self-employment tax, etc. etc.).

I will check out those links!

Thanks again! It's so nice here!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Super WAHM

Angziety,

I see you mention not wanting to get involved with self-employment tax etc., but you are unlikely to find transcription work in fields other than medical on an employed basis. Most of us are independent contractors.

The benefit of that, of course, is the ability to work with more than one contract or client.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
WAHM Regular

Not sure if you can but there is always a need for customer service agents from home. But you do need a quite time to work and have to have set hours.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 PM
WAHM Master

Smile

I actually studied medical transcription at Career Step, but ended up going with general transcription, and I've been at it for nearly six years now. I really enjoy the variety of it. I found transcribing medical brought out the hypochondriac in me.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered WAHM

[QUOTE=angziety;2827906]Hi. I was just wondering if having 5 years of experience with medical transcription will get my foot in the door as a general transcriptionist or some other form of transcriptionist (not medical.. they keep off-shoring jobs and paying very little because of speech recognition software). How different are they? What's the pay like?

Hi angziety,
Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same situation as you. My "loyal" doctors who I had been typing since 2003 and who had only wonderful things to say about me, turned around and dropped me in favor of speech recognition software after I was hospitalized for 3 weeks...I too am interested in learning more about general transcription and getting away from the medical side of it.

To Itsjusmeli, can you post some info on general transcription...what the pay is, good companies, or any info would be appreciated.
Kat
Old 09-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sadie1Lady1

GT is transcribing almost anything and everything from voicemail messages to letters, notes, interviews, focus groups, dialog, financial earnings calls, light medical, light legal, video, reality shows, conferences, meetings, etc. It's very varied and covers a wide range of categories.

Some require timecoding, some don't. Each company has their own format and guidelines they want you to follow. Some require 1 space after the period, some require 2. Some require numbers to be spelled out under 10, some want digits, some want 10 written out and some don't.

Pay can range from the bottom of the barrel or pennies to $300 an audio hour, with the average falling anywhere from $40 to $60 an audio hour.

There's a comprehensive list of companies with notes on most of them on Freelance Transcriptionist Road. There's a list here too on WAHM without notes.

You can learn a lot just by researching and reading.

Good luck.

This ad will disappear if you login