Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Professions > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Default General transcription

I am wondering if you have to have training for General Transcription work? If so can someone send me in the write direction. I have been reading the past few days on medical, legal and general transcription. I have read post from WAHM and from WPLH so now not sure where i read what.
Thanks for all the post here they have been helpful!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
WAHM Regular

As far as I know you don't have to have training for general transcription. Your typing needs to be pretty fast and accurate, and you need good listening skills. The legal transcriptionist needs experience in a law office. The medical needs training -
That's what I understand.

I'm just starting out with this as well and am applying for general transcription jobs...corporate maybe as well, not sure what kind of training or experience is required there, but I have had over 10 years of office experience.

HTH!

Blessings,
Rushell
Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

No you don't need training for general transcription, just good grammar and listening skills. Fast typing rate wouldn't hurt either and any office or word processing experience would be a plus. I would recommend starting off with Quicktate or Callgraph so you can get a feel for it. And then apply to a transcription company that accepts newcomers, or you may get invited to a join a team if participate on a forum and talk to people and let them know you are interested in general transcription, just like you are now.

So what I am saying is, be open to the advice people give you.

Hope that helps,
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to janyben

I agree. Quicktate and Call Graph are great places to start out. It's lower paying, but you can hop on and off whenever you'd like. And, you can get a sense if transcription is right for you. Quicktate is fun work, transcribing mostly voicemail messages that are very short, like 120 words or less. Also, it gets your foot in the door, so to speak, to get experience to move onto bigger and better opportunities.

If you like QT and CG, watch these boards for other opportunites. Have your resume updated at all times, so you'll be ready to jump at an opening that looks like it would be a good fit for you.

If you are a decent typist, a good listener, and have decent typing speed, you shouldnt have a problem getting into the general transcription field.

(I do some QT, but not CG)
Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 AM
WAHM Regular

Default general transcription

Thanks you all for the tips! Yes, I thought I should do some general transcription so I can decide if I want to do legal or medical transcription before I pay for a course. I may find out transcription is not for me.
I am not a 40wpm typest but I plan on doing practice test and speed myself up. Always was a good speller in schoo, 26 years ago. I would like to use some kind of grammer checker if that can be used in conjunction with other software for transcription. To be honest with you the spell checker on microsoft word has spoiled me. I seem to make a few to many mistakes and always use spell check. I taught myself how to type and all that I know about computers. We did have typing in the last year or two of school but was not required as is it now. We got a few computers the last year of school, I didn't work on them though. I have learned to research research and research.
Thanks for the tips, great group here at WAHM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Awesome WAHM

you also have to Firefox or Safari if you have a Mac and Firefox has its own spellchecker, so for Quicktate you would be set. And most transcription companies do use microsoft word as their final document. Like I have to use one software to play the audio and copy/paste the document as I go back and forth to Word and then check my spelling and or/grammar as needed. Because the grammar also depends on the transcription work you are doing. With general transcription the grammar rules are a little more relaxed than with medical transcription. The one I work for now, you have to type verbatim what the person is saying, even if they say "gonna" you can't change it to "going" and so forth.

So, you would be set.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, yes, we like to help each other out here, that is how we started and found our way.

Hope that helps
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Banned

Some websites to help with grammar:
Grammar Girl :: Quick and Dirty Tips
40+ Tips to Improve your Grammar and Punctuation - by Dumb Little Man

I would advise you to not rely on the spelling and grammar check in Word. I find that Word will frequently flag things that are correct and miss errors. The grammar check is particularly unhelpful if you're doing verbatim work, so it's important to pay close attention when you're running spelling and grammar check.

If you see the same words coming up when you run spell check, make a mental note of the correct spelling rather than just telling spell check to correct them. You can use AutoCorrect or software like ShortKeys for words you frequently misspell or mistype, but it is important to know the correct spelling without relying on software.

An auto-correct program can also help you to increase your speed, allowing you to type frequently used words with one or two keystrokes.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
WAHM Regular

Improving your typing speed is a very good idea as the faster and more accurate you are, the more money you're going to be able to make. Obviously the companies which pay more require fast and accurate typists.

You really do need to work on your grammar skills also, as in my experience a lot of general transcription companies require good grammar skills, and some of them even test you on it prior to hiring.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks again for the tips. Yes, I don't like the grammer checker on word. I am going to try and get my typing faster and study up on my grammer.
Wish me luck! I am sure I will be asking more transcription later.

This ad will disappear if you login