Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Registered WAHM

How long does it take you to transcribe 1 hr of audio? and how fast do you type do you use a pedal or hot keys?
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 AM
Registered WAHM

There are a lot of variables in that, but with excellent audio quality and speakers who aren't mumble-mouthed, with no phones, people, music, dictators eating while they are talking or whatever in the background, I can do an hour of audio in 2.5 to 3 hours. If any of the above factors are in play, there have been times where it takes 7-8-9 or more - it really depends. It would be impossible to build any speed using hot keys, in my opinion. A foot pedal is a must.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
WAHM Regular

I totally agree. I've had bad accents or bad audio that took me forever to type before!!! It was the worst!!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dcwhite4him

When I think about how much work I can take on I usually think it will take me 4 hours or possibly a bit more to get an audio hour finished. I can do it in 3 in an optimal situation and it can take me up to 6 in the worst situation. When I first started out it was taking me 6 hours for good stuff too. As far as foot pedal or hot keys...I've used both. I guess I'm not so typical because I have a laptop and I rarely sit at my desk. Usually I'm sitting in my chair next to the window with the laptop on top my lap. With the freedom of the laptop I do a lot of times use hot keys. At this point it's just as natural to me as learnning the to type and where to find any other key on the keyboard. I don't have to think about it, it just goes there. But yes, foot pedal is certainly a better way to go. Me, I'm more concerned with working how and where I want than I am shaving off a bit of time. Probably silly, but that's just me.
\"Heal me, O Lord and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved. For You are the one that I praise.\" Jerimiah 17:14
Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhite4him
When I think about how much work I can take on I usually think it will take me 4 hours or possibly a bit more to get an audio hour finished. I can do it in 3 in an optimal situation and it can take me up to 6 in the worst situation. When I first started out it was taking me 6 hours for good stuff too. As far as foot pedal or hot keys...I've used both. I guess I'm not so typical because I have a laptop and I rarely sit at my desk. Usually I'm sitting in my chair next to the window with the laptop on top my lap. With the freedom of the laptop I do a lot of times use hot keys. At this point it's just as natural to me as learnning the to type and where to find any other key on the keyboard. I don't have to think about it, it just goes there. But yes, foot pedal is certainly a better way to go. Me, I'm more concerned with working how and where I want than I am shaving off a bit of time. Probably silly, but that's just me.
Hi, I am sorry...but I am new to all this. I am just wondering what your talking about when you say "hot Keys"???

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SoccerMomx2

Function keys (F keys) are considered hot keys. To me, it's easier to use foot pedal, but it's whatever you're used to.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMomx2
Function keys (F keys) are considered hot keys. To me, it's easier to use foot pedal, but it's whatever you're used to.
Ahhhh, ok....lol.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 05:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dcwhite4him

Hot keys are the buttoms that you can use in Express Scribe if you are not using a foot pedal to play your audio and such. The are some of the 'f' keys, but you can change them.
\"Heal me, O Lord and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved. For You are the one that I praise.\" Jerimiah 17:14
Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
WAHM Regular

You also have to take into consideration the speed at which the dictation is recorded. I have some clients where 1 hour of audio will take me 2.5 to 3 hours, but I also have some where 1 hour of audio will only take me an hour. Also, a foot pedal is a must.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered WAHM

I'm also new here.

Where can I get a foot pedal and for how much?

How are they used to increase speed?

Thanks so much.

This ad will disappear if you login