Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Mumbiki74

I was surfing around the MT chat site tonight and it seems pretty clear that Careerstep is a joke over there. Everyone is saying m-tec or Andrews. I haven't paid for anything yet, but was going to start with Careerstep next month.

Is MT Chat part of Andrews or M-Tec that they are so heavily endorsed? Or is it that Careerstep really doesn't provide you with a quality education? I'm so confused and discouraged!

note: yes, I did a search of the forum forcareerstep, that's why I"m posting, nothing I was looking for came up in the search.

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
WAHM Regular

I was wondering the same thing myself. I went on there last night, and became very discouraged about enrolling in Career Step. I had already made up my mind, now I don't know. Now I am thinking maybe I should spend the extra money to go to M-Tec
Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 PM
WAHM Regular

MTC does seem to endorse Andrews and M-Tec and they even have their own forum folders on that site.
There are some past CS grads that were not happy with the CS course and even though changes have since been made to the CS course since then, they still like to complain. (I know this as I was enrolled when certain students/grads voiced their issues.) They have the right tosay what they want though. I do like MTC but there is a bias there when it comes to MT courses.

CS is an AHDI approved school (even though naysayers like to discredit the AHDI)... Lots of employers do recognize CS grads and hire them right after graduation.

Andrews and M-Tec are high quality schools as well. I have never heard anyone ever say anything negative about either of them.

For me, I went with the cheaper self-paced course. Iwanted to do it on my own.

Good luck with your decision.

Energy
Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Awesome WAHM

Ditto to what Energy said -- I picked CS too based on cost. However, if I had it to do over again, and money was no object, I would likely choose CS again! I have had a very positive experience with Career Step and the working world. I am very happy with my decision.
It's a personal preference ... good luck deciding!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You have to research each school and base your decision on what will work for your family situation and your financial situation. I have seen posts on many boards thecriticizing ofCS by those who went to Andrews or M-Tec.Some emphasize that cost should not beone of thedeciding factors.Not everyone has the luxury of of selecting a school and worrying about how to pay for it later.As long as you select an approved school I think you will be fine.You have to do what works for you.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks to you all for your replies. I forgot that CS was one of the ADHI approved schools. I've been doing lots of research on the MT schools and decided on CS. However, it looks like it'll still have to be put on hold since my hubby informed me last night the money I was going to use needs to be put towards something else at the moment . Oh well, all in due time, I've been looking into MT since 2006, so I'm obviously in no rush. Edited by: Mumbiki74
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to VEverest

I chose Penn-Foster out of lack of information, cost and it being self-paced. Cost was just a bonus, but I hadn't any clue about ADHI. I've been with PF for a month now and am more than half done with the classes. They're the biggest waste of time ever.
Im trying to decide now one a REAL MT school and self-pacing is my A #1 driving factor, really. I just had a baby and even when I was in high school and college, I got bored with the courses if they weren't moving fast enough. I need to be able to do the work when I need and as much as I need to. It isn't uncommon for me to do bits here and there while the baby naps, and then scream through when hubby's home.

Im leaning toward Career step... I am so glad I found all this info on WAHM.com. You guys are awesome!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
WAHM Addict

Some schools offer more hands-on transcriptiontraining than others, and that's one way to compare them.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the number of reports/number of minutes of dictationthat students of each schooltranscribe during training:

Andrews:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
1048 reports
3412 minutes of dictation with another 1500 optional minutes.

M-Tec:
840 reports
2425 minutes of dictation with another 300 reports and another optional 1000 minutes of dictation.

Career Step:
639reports
1920minutes

(the numbers were taken from each school's website in the last year or so)

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered WAHM

Send a message via ICQ to margilowry Send a message via AIM to margilowry Send a message via MSN to margilowry Send a message via Yahoo to margilowry

I was accepted to Andrews and eventually chose Career Step.

MTHome's
numbers played a big part in my decision. (Cost, too.) I have five
years of general and legal transcription; I also have some medical
training and two years of medical terminology experience, so I didn't
need hand-holding or hours and hours of typing to see if I could do
this. I chose Career Step, too, because their partnership with some of
the bigger MT houses for that much-needed on-the-job training. I
figure if you can type for them for two years then you will have enough
basic experience under your belt.

I, too, read the MT Stars
forum and some other blogs as well and there are some REALLY strong
opinions out there. But in the long run it's YOUR decision, so I think
if you do what is right for you and your situation, with a knowledge of
your strengths, weaknesses, goals and such, you will make the right
decision - for you.

Good luck! And wear some good wrist supports! Heh.

P.S. The board's scripts are running a little slow so forgive me if I double post or there is some other weirdness.
</font>
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks again all

You bring up a great point Margilowry, about hours and hours of typing. I've done transcription before in a hospital setting, dealt with foreign accents and have had enough typing experience to feel confidentabout choosing CS without the extra minutes and reports. Thanks again ladies

This ad will disappear if you login