Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Gifts, Baskets, Home Goods and More > Thirty-One Gifts

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Vendor Shows

Hey everyone. I was wondering how you all find vendor shows in your area. What are some of the best ones to look for? I am basing my business (Signing up April 16th) on home and book shows but think that by going to some vendor shows as well it can really help out. I did a quick Google search for my area but really didn't find much. Any websites that might help?

Also can anyone explain the rules of cash and carry. Are we allowed to sell products right there at vendor shows instead of having them ordered? I don't have the policy handbook yet so any insight would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to akerr1117

Do you have friends that sell for other DS companies? Ask them if they know of any vendor events in your area. Tell them to let you know if they hear of any and that you will do the same for them. You can try your local Chamber of Commerce - I personally haven't had luck that way because our Chamber doesn't promote or track those types of events, but I know other people have had success finding them that way. Sometimes craigslist has listings too.

We are never required to keep an inventory however at vendor events people often only want cash & carry items so some inventory is usually a good idea IF you plan on doing several of those. We are allowed to sell our items at event. There is really no rules other than you can not sell for more then it is valued in the catalog.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Re: Vendor shows and cash and carry

I recently did my first vendor sale day at the TD headquarters in South Jersey. Unfortunately, I did NOT do too well because I did not have a lot of items for cash and carry. I got some tips, tricks, and advice from other vendors at the sale. I was informed that most customers are expecting to take items home with them.

For the next sale day (Mother's Day), I will be ordering a bunch of lunch totes to have on hand in various patterns... I probably should have ordered a bunch of mini utility caddies to use as Easter baskets for this past sale....

Good luck! You may want to check large corporations in your area that have offices and headquarters. (especially banks) Sometimes they have vendor sale days for their employees where they can shop on their lunch break. There was no charge for the event and they had tables, table clothes, and giveaway slips prepared. The only thing I had to do was have an item to raffle off as a giveaway. (I used a mini utility caddy dressed up as an Easter basket).

I would definitely try to do a free event first... especially if you don't have a ton of items to sell 'cash and carry.' However, it was a good opportunity to hand out ALL of my Spring and leftover Fall catalogs, talk to people about the company, etc... I didn't get a ton of resulting orders, but I may get some calls and emails in the future...
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to akerr1117

Yes people generally do want cash & carry items at vendor events!

I think the one thing to keep in mind about vendor events - and you will hear it time and time again on this forum - is you shouldn't go into the events with the expectation/hope of getting sales (even cash & carry). The goal of these events is pure and simple - LEADS. Both party leads and opportunity leads. You want to get out in front of your table and speak with the people who approach you. If you get a sale from it GREAT, but I will trade one thermal tote sale for a party lead every day of the week!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM
WAHM Regular

Thank you guys! I did find a website with a few vendor shows that might be good for me to network. I should have my kit before the shows so it will be perfect, and they are local community shows so reasonably priced.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Super WAHM

Great info, thank you. I was wondering about vendor shows! My gf is a PTO president and runs a holiday vendor show at her school and has offered me a table for free. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it bc I don't know that I want to buy a lot of product for cash and carry. If I can go for free I think I will now, just to get my name out there and maybe get some bookings out of it! For those who have done vendor shows, people don't mind that they are buying the bags not personalized? I know among my friends the personalization is a big selling feature!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
WAHM Regular

If it was a free booth, i'd be all over that. what have you got to lose?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandibug6 View Post
If it was a free booth, i'd be all over that. what have you got to lose?
I think I will!! I didn't think about the leads from it, just that I was going to have to put out a decent amount of money for cash and carry.

This ad will disappear if you login