Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Web & Office > Online Tutors

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Carrot English

Does anyone have an experience with the company Carrot English? I had a nice interview and the woman sounded very friendly and on the ball. I have orientation today and was wondering about what to expect.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Registered WAHM

I cannot find much information about Carrot English. Where did you find it? How have things been going with them?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith View Post
I cannot find much information about Carrot English. Where did you find it? How have things been going with them?
I was wondering that myself.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Carrot English

Hello, if I were you I would go to the Goeje Teacher's Group on Facebook. They are a bunch of teachers in South Korea and they may know about this organization.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered WAHM

I put in Goeje Teachers but I couldn't find the group. I've googled Carrot English too and not much information comes up.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Hey everyone-

Well, here's my experience. The manager was always super-nice and available. However, i decided not to go with the job. First, you have a phone interview with the manager, then if you pass that you do training on the software they use. Then you have a week of "test sessions" where employees of the company pose as students and you are their tutors. Those sessions are recorded and the manager gives you feedback. You're not paid for any of this training, BTW and it takes 1-2 weeks.

After I did all that and got my feedback, they asked me to do another week's worth of test sessions because I guess they didn't like my first batch and wanted to see if I could improve. I decided not to do that because I felt that not being paid for all of that training with no guarantee of a job was a waste of my time. I didn't feel I could be compatible with their set-up: your sessions are 10 minute phone calls with each student in Korea. They give you and the student reading materials and you have to hit certain quotas (send three corrections on their language via text during each 10 minute call, for example). At the same time, the feedback I got via my test sessions were that I was being too regimented during the call and had to be casual, let the student talk about whatever they wanted, if they didn't want to do the textbook then fine, etc. I just didn't think that my teaching style was right and felt that they were sending too many mixed signals about "always being casual" vs. "hit these quotas" and I couldn't understand the balance they wanted between those things. Also, the 10 minute long sessions were not right for me, I felt very rushed and couldn't get a rapport going with the students in that short amount of time.

So that's my story. I'm still hoping to get something online that's audio only, because I do have an ESL degree and am disabled, which makes it hard to work outside the home.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi to all of you!

I completely agree with everything Lucky Thirteen wrote. I also did the "training" only to find that the students didn't answer their phones! So much for training! Also, when I asked the manager about whether or not I would get paid for the time spent training, he didn't answer.. I literally had to ask 5 times before he gave me the answer -- which was NO.

Also, they never gave me an official documents to sign or bank account information until I asked about it a day before my "first real day." I found this to be very unprofessional. Not to mention they didn't have me on the schedule because it was a Korean holiday.. I am supposed to be starting tomorrow (within a few hours) but I am still not on the schedule.

The communication between the manager and I was awful and nothing was ever clear. He didn't show up on the first day of training -- we had to reschedule for another day because he "forgot". I told the manager I was not interested in the position any longer. I lost all of my trust in the credibility of this company. Please take EXTRA caution before submitting your CV or any other important information, as it seems to be a complete scam.

Hope this helps anyone reading!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Wink

Try Talkool - they are great! Spicus isn't too bad - but not much teacher support. The absolute best is Open English. They have the best teach support.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered WAHM

Default DON'T. Make the mistake I made... RUN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen View Post
Does anyone have an experience with the company Carrot English? I had a nice interview and the woman sounded very friendly and on the ball. I have orientation today and was wondering about what to expect.
I workers there for ten months. My canadian managers were uncommunicative, evasive, and eventually dishonest. Thee months out of ten there was a problem with my pay... Either the wrong amount, late, or not delivered at all. One month the accountant decided my pay was too low to be bothered with so they decided without telling me to wait another month and combine. The exchange rate is constantly in flux, and the teacher pays all bank transfer fees so it is impossible to plan on the earned amount.

The teacher works seven weeks without any pay at all so Carrot always has you over a barrel. If he teacher misses a class for any reason, there is a penalty of 6 (yes, SIX!!!) times the lesson fee which is deducted from teachers pay. To resign or quit a full month notice must be given but then the final pay has a lot of deductions removed with no explanation at all, and there is no recourse for the teacher.

the one who does the recruiting from Ontario makes it sound like you work for ANYTIME English, but in fact the two Canadians are powerless and have no control over the chaos in the Korean HQ. The woman in Canada is defensive and full of excuses when approached, and does not respond to problems in a timely manner. Recruiting is done by a couple, and my training was also missed two times because they "forgot".

This company is not professional and they don't respect the teachers such. There are much better organizations that do not exploit native speakers. PASS CARROT on by... You don't need the headaches!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered WAHM

Although it sounds like a disaster from the tutor's perspective, I have to say that the concept of a 10-minute "bite" of English conversation is an interesting one. I might be more motivated to improve some language I'm working on if I knew I could just make a 10-minute phone call when I had a moment. Weird.

This ad will disappear if you login