Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Sales & Marketing > Network Marketing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Where to start?

I've seen so many success stories from people in network marketing, but have never taken the plunge myself. I have been successfully working from home for a company whose work recently dried up completely leaving me broke and ready to take some action. I've got no idea where to start, I've always imagined network marketing as trying to convince all my friends and coworkers to sign up for something, but I'm getting the impression that's not what it's all about.

So, for someone that isn't in a position to make any investment at the time (see point of sudden broke status above), but can follow directions with the best of them, are there any pointers on where to start? I do work an out of home job, so I can't spend time meeting or calling people, but I do spend all day on a computer, so I have a lot of freedom on that aspect.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Theresa Wilkins

Send a message via Skype™ to FreeElectricity

I think the first thing to clear up is that in a good network marketing company, you will not try and convince anyone to join you - because you want people who "get it" and will work - and will benefit from the opportunity that network marketing provides. One of the leaders in my company says that you want to "find people who want it more than you do". You don't want to drag anyone along with you.

Personally, I realize network marketing as an opportunity that has no limits on it. No limits on income, no limits on the type of education you have, no limits on your background. It's an opportunity that you can pass on to others to help them have a better quality of life, while also enhancing your own.

You will need to invest time into it for it to work. While I do a lot of online marketing - honestly I find that person to person, face to face works best. We (my husband and I) have found that sitting down with our business prospects to "show the plan" (pop in a DVD and have a 3 way call set up), or to take them to a business presentation (in fact going to one tonight - my brother and his fiance are coming...they are already customers. It's time they see the business. Taking them out to eat after. We always have a good time!) and letting them see the plan that way and meet others who are doing the business besides us - that works.

Our son came into our business when we first started. He definitely can do it. But he lets things get in the way. He doesn't TAKE the time to do the business and therefore has not been successful at it. He says he CAN'T get on training calls, CAN'T get on webinars, CAN'T go to meetings. What that really means is it's not important to him....at least right now. Maybe later he will understand what he needs to do. I hope so. He has 5 children and his regular job is hard manual labor. We would love to see him do this business now while he is young and get it to a place in 5 years where he can retire early, have a good quality of life and send our grandchildren to any college they want to go to. But it's up to him.

There is a saying in network marketing "I will live the next 2 years like others won't to live the rest of my life like others can't". And it may be 3 years or 5 years....but if you really get something started and work hard at it, and get the RIGHT PEOPLE started...it's amazing what can happen. If you owned a pizza shop or a retail store or whatever, you would open the doors every day and do what you had to to make it work - and so network marketing is the same thing. Unfortunately, many don't treat their network marketing business like a "real" business.

There may well be some network marketing businesses that you can do well completely online and make a living at and some people are better at that than others. I have got both customers and business partners online, but I have more successfully done so in person.

Just my 2 cents! Best wishes!

Everyone You Know Uses It! Electricity (and natural gas): www.EarnWithAmbit.biz
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
WAHM Addict

You've already been given some great information. I agree with all of it.

I've been in network marketing for 8 years, with my current company 2 of those years. I work my business about 90% online. I live in a small city in the "middle of nowhere" so local sales make no sense for me.

There are many reputable companies, but there isn't a single one that is an ideal fit for everyone. Do LOTS of research. Look on third party sites, not just company sites, to see what people outside the company have to say.

Lots of people like selling health foods & products, makeup, and the like. None of those are "my thing." I suggest you look at lots of businesses and speak with prospective sponsors to be sure you like their style.

I've heard of companies that say you can start for FREE, but somewhere along the line, you will have to pay something. Most network marketing companies have low start up fees and/or a monthly fee. Only you know if you could pay out a few dollars a month.

I wish you great success with your search.
Biz Op - http://joinxpresshealthcare.com Includes:
14-Day Trial, Websites, Lead Capture Pages, Autoresponders
All for one low monthly fee!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
WAHM Addict

Great advice from the ladies above! You surely want to find people who want it more then you do and are extremely passionate about their business and succeeding. They are out there... a little harder to find then most, but you WILL find your business partners Having the vision and sticking with it through all the ups and downs and never stopping is the key to having a profitable network marketing business.
Best wishes to you!

Alison
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I say find a product that pays a commission where if you had to get out and sell it to put food on the table or keep a roof over your head you have that option even if you have no team to rely on..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
WAHM Addict

I fully understand what you mean which is partly why I chose my biz. I was in your situation at one time. I set up my system so that I work 100% online and teach it to my team - all online, too : - )
Do your research and you may have to try before you buy.
That's what I did.

If you write to me, you can be sure I will help you. I am sending you a pm fyi.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
Sue
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Theresa Wilkins

Send a message via Skype™ to FreeElectricity

I got thinking about your money situation and I guess for me - I saw my opportunity and it was the ONE for me...and so I found the money to get started and have never looked back. But I also started thinking about Dani Johnson. I just read her book and wow, what a wealth of information. Like her page on Facebook and/or follow her on Twitter, get her emails, etc. She has a great story and if you listen to her she can really make a difference on how you think and what you CAN do if you are determined enough!

Briefly if you don't know Dani's story, she was homeless and living in her car at age 21 and by age 23 she was a millionaire. She had ordered some kind of weight loss product at some point that she happened to have in her car when she was homeless. She made some flyers with paper and a marker and she got the local video store...I think it was...to let her use their phone. She started making money from what she had. Her big thing is "prosper where you're planted" and so for you that might mean you don't get into ANY business right now but rather you use what you have to eat and pay the bills you really need. Only you know what is practical for you right now.

But anyway, just wanted to share some of Dani's story with you because it has made me realize even more that if I really want it I have to do "what it takes" to go after it! No excuses, nothing stopping me! There is always a way!

Everyone You Know Uses It! Electricity (and natural gas): www.EarnWithAmbit.biz
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Skype™ to jonrpatrick

First, do Lots of research to find a good company with products you love, that are effective and that people would buy even if they're not a distributor!
For example, my company is in health and wellness. Our super-star product is a weight loss pill. A Unique product? No. But easy to share with people already looking for something that works and that they're willing to pay for when it does.
Second, for new people I never recommend they start with friends and family - they will be absolutely the most cruel of them all to you and will "take the wind out of your sales" (at best!). I DO recommend you talk with them, but only after you're trained and have some success under your belt and are supremely confident in your product and it's benefits as well as in the Network Marketing Profession.
Once you have this, you can share with friends and family with a bit of take-it-or-leave-it approach. They're not "must get" people, but you can approach them truly trying to help and when they may try to tear you down you will KNOW in your heart MLM works and can help!
Third, go look up Eric Worre and download his free training called Go Pro! This will build your belief in the Profession as fast as anything I've seen!
Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 AM
WAHM Regular

Just do your homework.

Then, ask yourself, "Can I do this comfortably and naturally?"

If it is not comfortable and doesn't easily flow out of your mouth when you promote, you will get tired of getting rejected and eventually quit.

Find a product or service that changes your life...that you will decide you can't live without and must take every month for the rest of your life. This industry has a ton of them.

This way you won't even have to think about how to promote it and explain it. You won't be able to not tell people about it, because of how much your life and the lives of those you have already shared it with have improved.

Make sure your sponsor knows what they are doing and has time to teach you and get on the phone with your people and basically take a financial interest in your success, mentor you etc...

Pick a pay plan that encourages people. I like the binary the best, because everybody finds 2. People can find 2. They can't find 6 or 7. Plus, the level based plans make it so that your upline wants everybody they bring in, in their front line, because their pay decreases with every level below. So, they don't place people under you. You lose the synergy and teamwork benefit.

Write down a list of the strategies you will use to promote. Are you good at them? Will they get people coming to you and when they come to you, will they be impressed enough with what they see to want to dig deeper?

These are just a few tips I think you should consider.

This industry is such a great secret. Most people misunderstand it and miss the reasons why it stands alone.

That being said, it is not for everybody. Most people are not good at it, don't understand how to nutshell it and communicate it's power and end up quitting and throwing mud at it.

If you are going to do it...do it! And, do it right. You can build the power of leverage into your lifestyle (that is the secret).
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
WAHM Addict

GREAT tips on every post but this one is a good one for Newbies!

And who is Eric Worre?

QUOTE=jonrpatrick;3108354]
Second, for new people I never recommend they start with friends and family - they will be absolutely the most cruel of them all to you and will "take the wind out of your sales" (at best!). I DO recommend you talk with them, but only after you're trained and have some success under your belt and are supremely confident in your product and it's benefits as well as in the Network Marketing Profession.
Once you have this, you can share with friends and family with a bit of take-it-or-leave-it approach. They're not "must get" people, but you can approach them truly trying to help and when they may try to tear you down you will KNOW in your heart MLM works and can help!
Third, go look up Eric Worre and download his free training called Go Pro! This will build your belief in the Profession as fast as anything I've seen!
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Sue McBay; 04-14-2013 at 12:25 AM.

This ad will disappear if you login