Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Closed Forums > Lia Sophia

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile sell lia sophia by catalogs?

can i sell lia sophia by showing catalogs?
or do i really have to arrange parties or shows?
if i dont be able to arrange parties and sell the items
person to person just be showing them the catalogs am i still in the business?
do i really have to have down line team?
how much is subscription fees per month or per year?
thanks
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via ICQ to lia lo

A party with lia sophia is at least a couple of orders totalling $250 before tax and shipping. There are lots of ways to gather those orders, so it doesn't have to be by traditional party. It can be by catalog (a catalog show), open house, you can do fundraisers in a variety of ways, etc.

You don't have to recruit to make good money. 30% of a $650 or $700 show is still great money for a few hours work and that's the advisor compensation.

That said, I'd say a couple of things.

First, the catalog doesn't do justice to the jewelry. Nothing beats having people see it, handle it and most of all, put it on. That's when its beauty and quality really shine. It's meant to be worn. I can't tell you how many times someone will insist they don't like a piece until I put it on them; then they don't want to take it off. That won't happen with a catalog.

Second, I think the lia sophia model is really designed to thrive under parties. I don't know if anyone is making a go of it without doing parties. If so, I'd love to hear about it.

I think lia sophia (and many if not most other business) is ultimately about relationships more than anything. Parties build relationships, with hostesses and customers. Parties are the best source of additional parties. They are fun, and a chance for women to come together and enjoy each other, while doing something completely girly. I've gained far, far more from parties than a paycheck and I wouldn't trade it.

If you are completely against doing shows, it's possible that there might be other ventures you'd enjoy more. So I'd be interested to know what your hesitation is about parties. It might give us a better idea about whether lia sophia is a fit for you.

If you want to respond here, I know folks would be glad to help you sort it out. You are also welcome to PM me if you want to talk in a less public forum.

You're asking great questions. I hope you are finding some good information.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
WAHM Regular

hi

i just dont hesitate it is something that i have never done i am with AVON and you dont have to arrange any parties yet the parties are good way in order to make more money.the thing that is blocking my way is to order inventory ofcourse when you call over people and as you said most of people like the jewelry when they put it on how would they put it on if you dont have it and in order to have it you will have to order from company?
i just dont want to invest money in order to make money that is the simple rule.
ordering kit is not a big deal i can afford that but what if you order something for your parties and you dont have much in your pocket if LS is more like party plan company then it might not be best fit for me. though collecting $250 order is not a big matter i can do that but if you say that LS business is only for people who can arrange parties so i am not the one i should look for some other companies
Thanks for your help and suggestions
Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think that most of our direct sales businesses are set up as lia lo stated. You don't have to officially do parties in homes but we normally do make more money that way.

You definetly have enough jewelry from your starter kit (24 pieces) to have parties. It shows people the quality. You can decide from there if you want to invest more in your display. I do a lot of random orders and then put them in as my own party and earn the free jewelry. Plus with our excellent beginnings program, you can earn an additional $600 in jewelry to add to your display in your first 15 weeks. This helps tremendously!

Honestly, if you have $114 to get started in January and feel that you can do at least 1 $250 show every three months to stay active, I would take the jump. You can do direct orders in between your shows.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to QuickMealsOnline

I am also considering Lia Sophia; however, I'm not too enthused about sheduling home parties. I think it's more so that I'm not accustomed to doing home parties. Is there a sign up special for jan? Does the kit contain the fall 2010 catalogs?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Super WAHM

A couple additional thoughts...

Re: having enough pieces to do home shows. When I started almost 5 years ago, our kit only included about 10 pieces. I had never been to a show before so I didn't own any jewelry before starting. The only jewelry I had other than my kit were those pieces I got as a hostess at my starter show. I joke that my jewelry display could fit on an ottoman. Today my kit is about 250 pieces and I have paid very little for it. I too didn't want to get into this to spend more than I was making to build my kit. That just defeated the purpose I was doing the business in the first place. Each month we have incentives to earn free jewelry and then I hold at least 1 fundraiser per catalog. Because I give up a portion of my commission, I get the free jewelry from that show. This jewelry is then eligible to be exchanged for other pieces when they are discontinued.

Re: catalog shows in general. I tell my hostesses that yes I do catalog shows but the hostess doesn't do as well because in this economy, people are less likely to purchase from the catalog. How many times do you get catalogs mailed to you and you then go through marking the items you want but never actually make the purchase. How many of those catalogs go straight to the trash without even opening them? I believe that catalog business with companies like lia sophia is much different than that of companies like Avon. With Avon, you have a consumable product. People will continue to purchase what they need plus maybe add on additional items (I do this with my make-up company). With jewelry, people want to see how it looks on them, does it fit their neck/wrist/finger. They want to touch and feel it or at least touch and feel other pieces so like Crissy said, they can see the quality. With that said, some people will buy out of the catalog, just not as many.

When I have a catalog show on the books, I don't really count it toward my planning because many times they don't pan out and very likely they will not result in continued business or other bookings. When they do, it is just extra sales for the month.

When I started, I was nervous about getting bookings like just about every other advisor but I have been able to sustain my business for almost 5 years. The first 3 were part-time (about 4 shows/month) while I had a full time job but now I work about 10 shows/month and have built a team. I will be honest however that there have been lean months. The thing I stress is that having a show is the perfect way to get the pieces you love but can't afford to buy them. Nowhere is there a requirement that a hostess use all of her paid benefits (1/2 price and bonus items). They can take the free jewelry and run. This makes getting shows easier.

Hope this info is helpful.

Kim
Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMealsOnline View Post
I am also considering Lia Sophia; however, I'm not too enthused about sheduling home parties. I think it's more so that I'm not accustomed to doing home parties. Is there a sign up special for jan? Does the kit contain the fall 2010 catalogs?
Yes, in January our $149 starter kit is just $114. It does have the fall/winter line but you won't get pieces that are retiring. New line pieces won't start showing up in the starter kit until March.

And sohnikh, I didn't say you HAD to have parties, just that I think the way the business is set up, I think it works best when you do some.

Before I started 3 years ago, I'd have told you that I'd be the last person in the universe who would do - and enjoy - parties. One of the amazing things about this business is how easy and fun it is to surprise yourself with new skills and successes.

BTW ladies, a year and a half ago I went to part time at my then-fulltime job; at the end of this week I'll leave the job I've been at for 11 years to do lia sophia fulltime. Believe me, you don't walk away from a good job with benefits in this economy unless you believe in what you're doing and the company you're doing it with.

So woohoo! I'm putting my career where my mouth is! I'm working for ME now!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Super WAHM

lia lo...congrats! congrats! congrats!!!

i wanna be you

Last edited by littlejeannie; 12-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Super WAHM

LOL! Thanks, littlejeannie! You're probably the only person on the planet who ever said that! LOL!

It's a little scary but I'm gonna make it!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
WAHM Regular

Re: Each month we have incentives to earn free jewelry and then I hold at least 1 fundraiser per catalog. Because I give up a portion of my commission, I get the free jewelry from that show. This jewelry is then eligible to be exchanged for other pieces when they are discontinued.

How is the jewelry eligible for exchange? I didn't think that was the point of the return policy.

This ad will disappear if you login