Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Web & Office > Google Rater

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered WAHM

Default I'm qualified but how do I to get Google Rater job?

Hi,

I'm new here but I've been reading this forum for quite some time. I've read through almost all of the 169 pages for Google raters (sticky).

I need to find a Google Rater type job asap. I applied to WFL around Dec 10. I have not heard a word, except auto confirmation stating my resume was received.

Sorry this is so long. I have several questions.

Are WorkForceLogic, Butler Hill, LionBridge and Leapforce that only companies who hire for the Google Rater or related jobs?

Based on the requirements for the jobs listed on the individual company's websites (WFL, BHG, LB & LF), I'm 100% qualified for each of these jobs. I'm probably over qualified as I am a former software quality assurance tester. I tested very technical aspects of software. I've also been a successful real estate sales and marketer and as well as a web developer/designer.

Those of you ladies who have been hired or selected to take the companys' tests, how detailed is your resume? Is it mostly technical? Did you include other jobs and other skills and qualifications or is your resume limited to what the requirements for WFL, BHG, LB & LF are stating on their respective websites?

My resume begins (in 1998) with one of my first technical jobs but I have not worked in software testing since 2003. Should I included all of the technical jobs I have held? Should I remove my sales and marketing jobs (from 2003 to present)? I'm a little nervous about removing these jobs as I don't want an 8 year gap in my resume. Should I go to each company's website, pull off all of their requirements (I have each and every requirement) and integrate them in to my existing resume?

Any other advise?

Thank you in advance all for your help!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm View Post
Based on the requirements for the jobs listed on the individual company's websites (WFL, BHG, LB & LF), I'm 100% qualified for each of these jobs. I'm probably over qualified as I am a former software quality assurance tester.
Hi,

It's impossible to be 'over qualified' for this job because the subject matter that we work with is literally endless. In fact, the more skills you've acquired, the better -- through work experience, in the home, or otherwise.

For Lionbridge, listen to the podcast in this thread and also read my tips at the bottom of the thread.

All the best with your application/s.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
WAHM Regular

Keep in mind also that sometimes they're only hiring in certain areas. I've heard some people getting rejected because at the time they were not hiring in certain states. As far as experience......I don't have any 'technical' computer experience. My resume consists of just normal jobs and a few online jobs (transcription, data entry). Nobody really knows the 'secret' of getting hired. Hope that helps!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Awesome WAHM

Rvm,

I would think with your experience and background, you might have more luck with a different approach in your job search. If the reason you're interested in the rater job is because you're looking for an off-hours, flexible work schedule in addition to your day job, you might consider sites like Elance or Odesk for contracts (that you can fit into your schedule on your own time, and possibly get greater pay). If you're just looking for a primary source of employment right now, have you tried sites like Monster.com? Post your resume (or if you have already, simply make a minor edit to it, so it gets "refreshed" and seen again by tons of headhunters). You might get a position "unadvertised" as telecommute, but eventually can turn into telecommute after 6 months or so onsite. Or if you live near one of Google's nationwide offices (they even have one in Iowa!), you might try skipping the middleman (Lionbridge, WFL, etc.) and apply for positions directly.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Qualifications Are Based On Your Exam Results

The only way you can see if you are qualified is to take the exam through one of the companies listed. There are people with all levels of education who have not passed the exam, so you must be accepted to take an exam first. Then, you must pass the exam. I agree with an earlier post, freelancing sites are a very good way to earn good money. If you haven't tried Lionbridge, they took about a month to answer my application, but after they did, I took the tests, passed and am now a rater. I enjoy it, but it can take time to hear back during the application process.
BTW, I don't have a degree.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Awesome WAHM

Tracidb80-

Well said. My reply was based on the assumption that the poster possessed the skills to pass the test. But yes, taking the test and passing, is a clear, objective way to determine if one is qualified. So, the question "how do I get the job?" becomes "how do i get the opportunity to test?"

When I did work this position, I did apply a few times spaced out over a year before getting an opportunity to test. I don't think NOT getting an opportunity to test reflects on the poster's ability level. I think, quite simply, WAY more people apply for this position then there are available positions. As with most positions that are clearly advertised as "work-at-home" positions, the candidate pool is FLOODED, Throw in the words "telecommuting" or "work remotely" and companies obviously open up the doors for tons of applicants (who apply regardless of skill set). Because of this saturation, I recommended taking a different approach to finding a telecommuting position (applying for jobs that aren't clearly advertised as WAH, but seem to have the eventual potential for remote work (and there are lots of those).
Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You've gotten good advice so far, all I will add is as a current rater, I work with several tech people with backgrounds similar to yours. A tech background is a plus, but its not a guarantee. This I know, since I'm low tech. They tend to hire in batches based on clients needs. Be patient. Best wishes.

This ad will disappear if you login