Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Miscellaneous Professions > Daycare operators

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi ladies,

I am very new to the daycare business. Ihave a21 month old and I watch another little boy who is 23 months for 20 hours a week. I am looking for some new and entertaining activities for toddlers. My son loves to read, but the other will not sit and listen to a book. They are not yet old enought to really color and they make too much of a mess with play-do. I have bubbles and sidewalk chalk and sometimes we take walks to the park in the wagon, but it seems like they are getting bored with the same old activities! Or maybe I am just getting bored with them. And they fight over everything. Even a walk to the park is a challenge and usually ends up in a screaming match over who gets to pull the wagon! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Super WAHM

I am keeping two kids who are nearly two. They LOVE anything that has to do with music and dancing. I especially love doing motion songs with them, since they are little mimics, anyway. Here's one of our faves, in case you've not heard it yet:

Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn around
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear touch the ground
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear show your shoe
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear that will do
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear run upstairs
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear say your prayers
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn out the light
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear say goodnight.

The motions are pretty obvious to that one. I've had several children specifically ask to do this song over and over...lol.

Do an online search and I'm sure you'll find more. There are loads of recources available online.

Have you tried the Color Wonder products? They're a bit pricey, but they are wonderful! The Crayola Magic play-doh is a LOT less messy, too.

Let me know if you come up with anything more interesting. I'm always looking for new ideas as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
WAHM Regular

One of the biggest things I do is rotate toys. Every week, I put some favorite toys away out of sight and put new ones out. That way they don't get so bored with them....then when I switch them around its like having new toys again.

It may be hard to reason with children that age, but, maybe explain to them if they argue over the wagon, you won't take them back to the park. Or....not take the wagon at all?? One of my kids' favorite thing to play with is the sand table....right now it's outside , but, once cold weather comes I'll be putting it in my basement and taking them down a few times a week to play in it. Keeps them busy for a long time.

I also let my kids paint rocks!! I get big art paint brushes, washable paint, and some big rocks......they love it! It washes off the driveway when it rains and off the rocks also , so they can just do it over again. Sounds simple, but I haven't met a child yet who doesn't like to paint!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Super WAHM

Yes! rotating toys is great. I do that, too. I'm always on the look out for good deals, too. This week, I found a stuffed Cliffard that looks brand new, barks & is nearly as big as the 2 yr olds at the Goodwill for $1.99. I also bought a stuffed puppy there that that teaches colors and body parts (blue ears, yelllow foot etc.) and sings. That was .99 at the Goodwill & the kids love it.

If the kids fight over something, I put it up and don't let them play with it for the rest of the day. I have a sandtable on my deck, too. IMO, It's much better than a sandbox, because the kids don't sit in it and get sand all in their clothes, shoes, and track them in the house.

You can do kids excersizes, too.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
WAHM Regular

Wow! Thanks for all the tips ladies! We do have a sandbox, but I have never heard of a sand table. And the painting rocks is a great idea. I guess I have never tried the music and dancing. They would probly love it! And that is usually what we have to do is if they won't sit in the wagon then I take them back home.I used to take them in the early afternoon, but that wascloser tonap time so now I take them in the morning so there seems to be less melt downs. I will definitely give these things a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone!

Rochelle
Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Super WAHM

I just came across this website with more ideas and though I'd share:
http://www.toddlertoddler.com/younge...ctivities.html
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Super WAHM

What other activities do you do with them? Try arts-and-crafts with them. That's usually a hit with kids.

Good luck!

Leanna

This ad will disappear if you login