Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Business Advice and Topics

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Any Kindermusik Instructors?

Hello! I am thinking of becoming an Kindermusik instructor and was hoping to connect with others here. I have researched the other 2 companies (Music Together and Musikgarten) and I feel that Kindermusik is the best match for me. I have a few questions.

I have taken my 4-month old twins to one of the free demo classes but the teacher was such a dud! We had fun, because I just looked past that and got into it for the sake of my kids anyway, but it really made a lightbulb go off in my head that this is what *I* should be doing! I used to teach Kindergarten before I had kids and this would be the perfect opportunity to make a little money and stay home with the babies. Plus I have a home in town that has pretty of room. The problem is, I feel terrible for going to this woman's free demo class and then becoming her competition! How horrible is that? lol! I mean, I'm sure it has happened before, but I still feel bad. Do you think that is terrible of me?
I will probably try to take her class anyway and then tell her my plans. There is a small chance we are moving anyway and if that is the case, then I won't be her competition anyway.

My next question is about the home kits they sell to the parents. Meaning, when you register for a class, you are expected to purchase the home kit (book, cd, etc) for your home use outside of class. When googling Kindermusik, a lot of parents did not like this. Do I HAVE to make my parents buy the home kits? What happens if I don't? Is there any kind of incentive to the instructors for selling the home kits?

Lastly, if you have taken your child to Kindermusik, what did you like about it? What didn't you like? If you took it at someone's home, was it uncomfortable or did they make their environment child-friendly and fun?

I know this is long, but thank you!!!!!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to FredRaley

Good that you are doing some investigating.

I would recommend you google Kindermusik blogs or Kindermusik problems or scams or things like that to see if there are others having issues. Also, you can find other Kindermusik owners and contact them with your questions.

Have you contacted the home office with your questions? They should have a customer care line or something along that line.

Fred
Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks! I will definitely call when their office opens. I have been googling this until I am blue in the face and it is hard to find anything. I mostly find people's business pages. I know there is a forum for KM teachers on their site but you have to already be a teacher to get access. I would love to talk to other teacherrs who do this out of their home because it seems that some parents would rather go to a center so I am nervous about starting this up. Also some parents told me they would prefer teachers who have musical backgrounds, which is all fine and dandy but I think that is going a bit overboard. I mean, its just singing fun little songs and dancing around. I could see it for older kids but I would think me being a master's level certified teacher (of kindergarten) would be good enough experience...
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
WAHM Master

I have been to music togther only and it was fun. But it's expensive for some Moms too. Can you open your own business and offer a better rate than actually working for one of those companies?

Either way, it's GREAT that you are doing research....think it through but go wiht you HEART in the end
Best wishes to you!

Conect with me on Facebook
Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks Debra! With KM, you get certified to teach and then you can own your own business teaching either at a center that you open or in your home. I want to do it in my home but I worry that people would rather do it in a center. But in my home, I could keep the costs lower.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi cupcaketwins! I stumbled across your post and wanted to take a moment to respond. I work for Kindermusik Interational so I can address a few of the questions you asked.

First, I was sorry to read your demo class educator was a dud! That's unfortunate. However, the fact that you were instantly thinking of ways you might improve the classroom experience is excellent. That type of attitude usually results in some of our most successful educators!

Second, yes, Kindermusik does require each child to receive a home kit with class. The reason for this is that we feel very strongly that the Kindermusik experience is most effective when extended from the classroom into the home. Allowing the parents to take home one of the books read in class, a CD, home activity guide, and an instrument really reinforces the things being learned in the classroom. Not to mention, we like to think the home kit has some pretty great stuff!

As well, I wanted to mention our new two-track licensing program -- we now offer the option of becoming certified simply to teach Kindermusik for someone else's program, or to start your own program. So if you're not sure if you want to start your own Kindermusik business, you might want to see if anyone is hiring in your area. You could become certified and teach for her.

These are just some things to think about. I'm sure you've been to this page, but you can get more info at the Teach section of our website, found here: Preschool Children's Music Class - Teach - Kindermusik

I hope this was helpful. You sound like a thoughtful, ambitious individual -- perfect for Kindermusik!
-Shawn Currie
Kindermusik International
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Kindermusik Education Question

Hello!

I stumbled across your post because I was googling horrible Kindermusik educators. I've been a Kindermusik educator for 9 years now and decided this year that I no longer wanted to continue my license for a few reasons. Number one, I never set out on this path to make a ton of money. I know KM teachers who do and they are really, really busy! I just wanted a little something to feed my soul and make just a bit. Kindermusik has beautifully written curricula for their licensed educators to use. It's written with great care and by top developmental experts. It's way more than just singing and dancing. However, you must have your license to purchase the curricula and each season they change the curricula that they are currently offering. This means you suddenly have a ton of start up costs your first couple of years. If you don't have really full classes, you'll be upside-down quickly. You are also required to ask parents to purchase the home kits. Many of my families just don't have the kind of money to pay for both classes and the kits. For instance, the 10 week Family Time class kit is $60. If you're charging just $10. per class, that's comes out to $16. per class for the families if they pay for the home materials. Then they have to do it all over again when the next curricula set comes out! BAH! This was by far the most frustrating part all the time. The kits are okay but, the most used part was always the CD's and books. A ton of parents I know did not do the home activities. With all the great magazine ideas out there and websites with activities, this can be easily done yourself. You also need a pretty decent storage compartment for all those instruments. The kids will get bored with the same ones each week so, you'll need to gather up more individual unique ones as you go on. Extras like instruments from around the world, parachutes, blankets, squishy balls, stuffed animals... See why not many new teachers make money their first year or two?

My suggestion to you is research children's music curricula. Artists like Laurie Berkner are really fun to dance and wiggle to. Come up with a variety of theme classes that work on basic skills and go from there. You might find that it's really fun to just sing and wiggle. You also might find stuff that is really effective.

If you're wanting to ever go further, study music pedagogy for children. It's not about performing but really about how music can foster growth in a child. Sign up for those other teachers classes and pay close attention to how the class flows from activity to activity.

I decided to discontinue my license because I'm tired of being related to these dud teachers! Think about it, if you become a Kindermusik teacher, you're automatically associated with her! That could be damaging later on. I agree with Debra, try to come up with something on your own first and see how you do.

Good luck and best wishes!

This ad will disappear if you login