WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

madpainter
08-11-2006, 02:01 AM
im trying to come up with the best product to sell door to door, i know your gonna say dont do it, sell it on a website or open up a domain name and sell on the internet, if your gonna say that please dont reply i know about that, im trying to think outside the box, only door to door oppinions here, i am a male so that may go into your decission :) LOL please reply there is a part 2 to my question 2) the best way to see what the rules/laws are for door to door selling in the area i want to sell in is check with the village? or state laws?.

bianca5454
08-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Gene,

Have you seen the movie "Door to Door"?

Erika1
08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Groceries...I know lots of people don't enjoy going to the market. Maybe go door to door and offer a shopping service?

Maybe bring a woman with you--I know it would be better if you approached the lady of the house, it would be less uncomfortable if you had a woman with you. And don't ask to come inside; just maybe drop off a flyer and letthem contact you ;)

lindastacy
08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
The best product to sell door-to-door is a product people in your area will buy.smileys/smiley1.gif What you might be able to sell in your town will be very different from what I might be able to sell in my town.

Take demographics into account... average income level, average ages, family size, single moms, two-income families, etc. Then think about what they buy. For example, someone who is stuggling financially probably won't buy expensive nutritional supplements or anti-aging products. A single mom will probably buy something for her kids before she'll buy something for herself. Two-income families will buy more convenience products, etc.

And sell a consumable product.... you want repeat customers.

As far as the laws regarding door-to-door sales, check with your town clerk or local police.

And for being male.... I don't think that will influence your success too much. I'd say, be sure to dress up a bit, knock on doors during daylight hours, don't ever approach kids in the yard, etc. You could even "pre-sell" yourself by sending flyers around a few days before you're going to knock on doors in a neighborhood. Introduce yourself (include a picture) and your product and say that you'll be in the neighborhood on a particular day.

Good luck!

littledb
08-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Start with your passion! What are you excited about? If you are not excited about pencils, I don't want to listen to your 30 second commerical. But if you can tell me how pencils changed your life, you use them all the time, and show me how they will fit into my life, I may lend you my ear.

What do you enjoy? What are your strengths? What do you want to accomplish?

Debbie

cindi8d
08-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't have too many ideas but I do think pre-selling yourself like Linda suggested is a really good idea! Good luck to you!

cindi

website in profile

UnitedGifts.com
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I think door to door is more difficult for a make than a female. I
think it is very difficult, but you have to find a product people don't
want to buy away from home, things that are not fun to carry home.

Lourdes
08-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Mary Kay?????????

Margmk
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Your door to door regulations/laws are probably municipal bylaws...for example here in my city we are allowed to go door to doorwith flyers BUT only leaving flyers in thedoor ...NOT the mailbox(government property)..and NOT allowed toknock on the door. The ONLY way we can actually knock on the doors or even talk to someone(eg if they are out in the yard, etc) is if aspecial "soliciting type" license is purchased.

Lawn care is a good door to door service...but usually not brand newhousing developements...because the new home owners are broke...lol...a somewhat establishedneighborhood of maybe 10 yrs worked better here in my area (I used to telemarketing for a lwan care business as well as the owner of the compnay did cold calling door to door)Edited by: Margmk

dawnmo
08-11-2006, 02:52 PM
The only thing I have ever purchased from someone selling door-to-door was Cutco knives. I purchased only 1 because they are so darn expensive...it is the best knife I have ever owned and someday, when I get rich, I will have this set:

CUTCO (http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/detail.jsp?categoryId=20&ensembleId=10285)

smileys/smiley4.gif

kbragg
08-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Electricity! Everyone uses it, they can save money on it, and you don't have to "sell" persay, because you're not collecting money from them.

My second vote would be POWER POPS!smileys/smiley36.gif

littledb
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Electricity! Everyone uses it, they can save money on it, and you don't have to "sell" persay, because you're not collecting money from them.

My second vote would be POWER POPS!smileys/smiley36.gif

hey Kassandra--

Is there a company that does electricity?

Yeah Power Pops! smileys/smiley2.gifI think I made a sale at the pool today, but I don't have in stock yet. Soon.

So if you could do electricity, what about insurance and phone stuff?

Maybe you could outsource yourself to local businesses as well selling their items of need! smileys/smiley36.gif

Debbie

kbragg
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey Debbie, yes there is - The company is Ignite. Right now it's ONLY available in Texas, but we are expanding on the East Coast (as more and more states deregulate: http://kbragg.igniteinc.biz

Congrats! POWER POPS are so easy to retail! How's this for a conversation:

"Wow you look great! Are you losing weight?"

"Why yes I am! I'm on this awesome new diet! ANYONE can do it!"

"Really? How does it work?"

"Well, can you eat 3 lolly pops a day?"

"Heck Ya!"

"well you can lose weight! Want a free sample?"smileys/smiley36.gif

I love your new banner! Where do you make yours? Teach me school master!smileys/smiley36.gif

MarieS
08-11-2006, 03:57 PM
OK ... I'll think about what I would buy from a VENDOR...not my neighbor kid needing donations.

One idea I had a few month's back was a service for DAD'S DAY OFF...sell a one-day yard service work or a car wash or some "certificate", of course, someone needs to come back and do the work!

CURB ADDRESS PAINTING.
In my area, someone comes around, and gives you an order slip to tape to your door on XX Date. On that date, they come back & paint your address on your curb usually plain like black, or some theme: Red, White & Blue, Or Team logo (there's only 2 biggies where I live...so not a wide variety)

SURPRISE YOUR WIFE DAY....
Same idea as Dad's day off, but they could "order" flowers, candy, a pedicure...whatever and you could return to deliver the item or give them a certificate right then. Perhaps a local spa/salon would sell you services at $5 off so you could offer the certificate.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY CARDS
Cheap, easy to do. My husband & I have these taped to the back of our driver's licenses. I'm also sending one to Grandpa who lives alone and is now 87. He fell last year in a parking lot and broke his jaw, no family in town! We also havebig onesin our carsthat let people know, if something happens to us, please feed our doggies! :/ You could sell a cutout page for $1-$2 and probably have an easy, emotional sell.

How about NO SOLICITING SIGNS....:o) OR Our Dog eats Salesmen??
(ha-ha)

littledb
08-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey Debbie, yes there is - The company is Ignite. Right now it's ONLY available in Texas, but we are expanding on the East Coast (as more and more states deregulate: http://kbragg.igniteinc.biz

Congrats! POWER POPS are so easy to retail! How's this for a conversation:

"Wow you look great! Are you losing weight?"

"Why yes I am! I'm on this awesome new diet! ANYONE can do it!"

"Really? How does it work?"

"Well, can you eat 3 lolly pops a day?"

"Heck Ya!"

"well you can lose weight! Want a free sample?"smileys/smiley36.gif

I love your new banner! Where do you make yours? Teach me school master!smileys/smiley36.gif

Love it! smileys/smiley36.gif

I'm actually more excited about the Kids vitamin pops, but the weight loss pops I know will sell like crazy.

I do my banners in Photoshop. I'm not as good as a lot of people out there, but have learned. Photoshop is easy to use because you can layer things and save.

jacquelynrose
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Kirby Vacuums! </span></font>My brother did it, he did not do too well but my Aunt's Girlfriends Cousin made a killing! I LOVED the Presentation of them. One day I will own onesmileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

Mother-Of-Four
08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Ok, I knew a guy who sold Steaks, Chicken and Seafood door to door and made a killin' doing it. He did this whole breakdown of why it's cheaper to buy from him (and he had a chest freezer on the back of his truck full of flash frozen individually packaged meat)

Me, I'm doing the Power Pops! smileys/smiley36.gif I'm going to see about a fundraiser for our homeschool group using the Kids Pops too. smileys/smiley2.gif

jacquelynrose
08-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Ok, I knew a guy who sold Steaks, Chicken and Seafood door to door and made a killin' doing it. He did this whole breakdown of why it's cheaper to buy from him (and he had a chest freezer on the back of his truck full of flash frozen individually packaged meat)

Me, I'm doing the Power Pops! smileys/smiley36.gif I'm going to see about a fundraiser for our homeschool group using the Kids Pops too. smileys/smiley2.gif

Oh YEAH! And Mexican Tamales Mmmmm....but about the Steak thing...I get some every 3 months and its sometimes impossible to find his number because he doesn't come around that often...smileys/smiley36.gif

kbragg
08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Schwan!! Remember the Schwan man? http://www.schwans.com/ They even take food stamps!smileys/smiley36.gif(Or at least they did 10 years ago...)

Italian Water Ice!!! Oh, and let's not forget a good ole' Ice Cream Truck!

The possibilities are endless!smileys/smiley4.gif

Dennis Edell
08-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok, I may be wayyyyyyy late with this question, but I see no one asked it but rather assumed smileys/smiley36.gif.....are you looking for Door to Door for businesses or Residential?

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName>Dennis Edell</st1:PersonName> (dedell@ligiftware.com) ßEmail
“If ya can’t beat em’, try again.”<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

crisstar
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Kassandra took mine... (Schwans guy)smileys/smiley4.gif, kids selling candy, dish satellite people, bottle water people, carpet cleaning people, house painters, real estate people are just about the only types of people who come to my door besides those passing out flyers.

I'm leery to open up the door to a man who I do not know or who isn't wearing a uniform of some sort.

If you want to go door to door, then I suggest getting a job/or starting a businesswith one of those mentioned above.

Corrisa

JohnsonBooks
08-14-2006, 12:28 PM
There's always Avon! We have lots of men reps, and there are products for women, men and kids! smileys/smiley4.gif

onehappyladyz
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I do not open thedoor to strangers, even people in uniforms. If I am to be expecting someone from cable company, mailman, etc, I will open the door to get my package, or have my work order to be worked on, that's it!

I've had so many people knocking on my door, and they ingored our community policy of no soliciting the neighborhood. The signs are in well viewed area of entrance and exits so it is impossible for anyone not to miss the signs of no soliciting. I know of few neighbors have already called police on them before.

The reason why I feel it is very important not to answer the door to any strangers is because of rapes, murders, and robberies.

I find it very effecting marketing without having to knock on people's doors...is by leaving your company's flyer at the doors. People will read it when they get home, and if they want it, they will contact you.

That's the best way of getting people's attention without invading their privacy or security.

6preciouskids
08-16-2006, 07:58 AM
I think the only thing I've bought door to door was a coupon book from area businesses and restaurants. It'd be great for you to get coupons and ads in a book and sell those. Kind of like the dining books. People pay to have their coupon in your book and sell them door to door. You could also leverage your time and have other do it for you! Good luck!

nattiesmother
08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I havent had anyone try to sell me anything door to door,but I was solicited to buy a knife set..I tell you they wouldnt give up until they made that sale!I then proceeded to tell them about my business.Why not?They spent over an hour convincing me that there knives were better than store bought.I give them credit though...there presentation was pretty good!This happened in a grocery store parking lot!

littledb
08-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Question--

Why door to door?

Barbie
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
im trying to come up with the best product to sell door to door,

I'm a strong believer in providing something different to the consumer, something not strange but rare...

I think that selling a monthly or weekly service would be awesome but to get their interest I would provide the service free for the first time..

My service to sell door to door would be a ...

" Portable Car Wash</span> " ... I would come to their house and wash their cars either on a weekly or monthly basis smileys/smiley2.gif

My first initial solicitation would be to provide them with a FREE car wash either at their job's parking lot or at their home. If no one answers the door, I would leave a flyer offering a "free car wash in the convenience of your home, call 555-555-5555</span>"

You'll be surprised how many families will go for this.. trust me, heck I'll be the first one to go for it if someone offers me this service at my house... I'm so busy (and lazy) I wished I had a self cleaned car smileys/smiley36.gif

Barbie