WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Mel123
03-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I've been wanting to say that for a while now. Quicktate hired me way back in 2010. I type for them whenever I have time...a little here, a little there. But the one thing I've noticed through all of this is that they are LEGIT, they PAY ON TIME, and they are by far the MOST CONSISTENT and RELIABLE online company I've ever worked for.

My online job search started in 2006. From that time, I must have tried at least 100 online employment opportunities. A majority of them were scams. And the ones that weren't scams still managed to somehow scam you in one way or another when it came time for payout.

There have been times when I'd type for Quicktate and made maybe 30 cents because I typed only 1 or 2 messages. I'd even forget that I did it. But you know what? You can bet they'd send me that 30 cents on payday, no matter what. That's what I love about them. Do you know how rare it is to find an online job that has enough integrity to honestly pay their workers every payout? For 2 straight years in a row? I sure do. I'm in the habit of constantly looking for more online work, and then today it dawned on me. WHY keep looking for an honest online job, when you already have one?? :D I just need to put more time into it, that's all. I might even look into iDictate, as well.

If you already work for Quicktate/iDictate, consider yourself lucky to have them. And if you are considering working for them, I am here to tell you that they are the ONLY online company I've worked for that I can actually count on.

That's all. Just wanted to share that. ;)

mamawriter
03-16-2012, 05:01 AM
I like the point you made about being reliable about paying, whether it is 30 cents or 30 dollars.

Like you, I have been with quicktate for a few years...but only sit down and work at it on occassion.

I can also appreciate what you said about always being on the lookout for the next or another wah opportunity. I know it my case, sometimes my time would be better spent on the opportunities that I already have rather than looking for the next thing.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this!

Mel123
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
No prob! :)

jazzie
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I totally agree Mel!

pburlin
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I have been a stay-at-home mom for the last two years and fortunate not to HAVE to work due to my husband's salary. In December he became ill and on February 25th he passed away from pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic=deadly and fast. I owned a medical transcribing business many, many years ago in California and also did transcribing in a hospital here in Iowa several years ago. I transcribe around 70-80 WPM and am now looking for work in that arena. Any tips/help would be much appreciated. It seems like there are all kinds of "scams" out there for work at home jobs.

bcsellew
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Bless your heart pburlin, I'm so sorry for your loss. With your experience I'm sure you could get on with Quicktate but it doesn't pay a great deal. It's really just for a little extra. There is a forum for transcriptionists on this web site. If you haven't checked there you might. HTH.

msuggitt
03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
I too always keep this egg, and type when I feel like it. It's true that it doesn't pay much so doesn't get much of my attention, but I find it fun and some days/nights very entertaining. It certainly pays more than KFC.

I agree they always have work, pay on time and I often recommend to people as a way to break into transcription. It's nice to know there is always something there if I need extra cash or fall between jobs.:)

crazy
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I certainly agree. Quicktate has always been a good way to earn extra and they have always paid. I try to type as often as I can and certainly would want to keep working for them as it's entertaining most times even when I'm alone and again, it's a good filler job or even a full-time job for those who have more time. I guess the only thing that really gets to me is when there's actually a lot of jobs available, the system is either too slow or won't work at all, but I guess that's probably because of overloading the server or something... I don't know. Either way, I love this job!

Kerin
04-09-2012, 07:23 AM
I have 10 years' experience as a medical transcriptionist/editor/proofer and am interested in getting started with Quicktate/iDictate. The websites, though, don't have a "career/job" link that I can find. How do you apply or get started with them? Any info you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kerin

bkboor
04-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Here's the signup page for you. :)

https://typists.quicktate.com/transcribers/signup

utsarah
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I've been with them since 2010 and I've never had a problem either. I now do iDictate for them as well.

I liked transcribing so much I'm now in school to become a medical transcriptionist! :)

schierling
04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
So sorry for your loss, I wish you all the best to find employment.

Kerin
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks so much! :)

moongazr
03-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I would love to get on with Quicktate. I applied back in January and waited about one month before opening a support ticket asking them when I would learn the status of my application. The reply was to keep waiting. It has now been 3 months, so I opened another support ticket to ask them again.

Does anyone know an easier way to get hired on?

Thanks so much!

Eliza

nikkiboo75
03-29-2013, 06:23 AM
I would love to get on with Quicktate. I applied back in January and waited about one month before opening a support ticket asking them when I would learn the status of my application. The reply was to keep waiting. It has now been 3 months, so I opened another support ticket to ask them again.

Does anyone know an easier way to get hired on?

Thanks so much!

Eliza

I'm having the same problem. I haven't had any type of response. I think I may have applied twice. It's frustrating when there is no answer from anyone with Quicktate.

vicereine
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
I agree, this is the most legit job out there, grant it it is not a get rich quick but it is worth it. I work like you say, a little here a little there and it adds up to quite a bit by the time payday comes round:) I love quicktate and am sooo soooo happy they let me work for them.

NewYorkEnglishTeacher
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
What could be expected for about 4 hours of work a day? Give or take of course.

bkboor
04-04-2013, 04:43 AM
What could be expected for about 4 hours of work a day? Give or take of course.

If it's during regular business hours and the calls are coming in pretty steady, I make between $4 and $5 an hour :)

Niecyd
05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Mel123 :) Thanks for posting about Quicktate. I've been browsing the forums for quite a while looking for something that people were really happy with. I went to Quicktate's web site to take a quick peek. I've never done this type of work before, but it sounds interesting. Do you have to have a foot pedal and/or headset? It does mention these items in the "I agree" section, but doesn't exactly state they are necessary to perform the job. I would appreciate any other tips you could offer, too. Thank you!

bkboor
05-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Hi Mel123 :) Thanks for posting about Quicktate. I've been browsing the forums for quite a while looking for something that people were really happy with. I went to Quicktate's web site to take a quick peek. I've never done this type of work before, but it sounds interesting. Do you have to have a foot pedal and/or headset? It does mention these items in the "I agree" section, but doesn't exactly state they are necessary to perform the job. I would appreciate any other tips you could offer, too. Thank you!

I don't use a foot pedal for this work. You can if you choose, but it's not required. As far as the headset goes, sometimes it's very difficult to hear the calls if you don't have a headset or ear buds. If you're alone in the complete quiet you could probably do without, but I find that it's much clearer in my ear buds than through the computer speakers.

Good luck to you! :D

Niecyd
05-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info, bkboor :)

shelrs
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't have a foot pedal, but do use headphones. I wish they had some kind of keyboard shortcuts to rewind or pause the recording.

WAHMBrenda
05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I figured out that they're actually paying more than another company that I do basically the same thing for. This other company has a nicer set up and claims that you can make more money with them but sorry to say QT is paying more, even with their awkward keyboard nonsense. (Please don't ask me who the other company is as I don't mean to bad mouth them as the people who work there are great, the pay is my only issue)

moongazr
05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Hello, it's me again! I originally applied for Quicktate in January, waited till March to submit a support ticket asking about the status of my app, heard nothing, and I just submitted another ticket. The only response I've been able to receive from QT has been the (probably automatic) notification that they plan to assume my question is resolved and close my ticket. :-(

I've heard good things about this company here on WAHM and I really wanted to get on with them, but I am feeling very let down. Not only that, but I find their site to be very very difficult to navigate and understand.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or encouragement?

Thanks!

andrewsmom
06-10-2013, 02:57 PM
On average, how much work can you get a day from Quicktate? How much do they pay?

Jowjo5
06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I took transcribing as a corse, medical....

Can you make a couple hundred a month or more?

Thanks all.

bkboor
06-14-2013, 04:09 AM
https://quicktate.zendesk.com/entries/22375023-FAQ-Section

This link will answer most of your questions about how it works and what the rate of pay is. You can work pretty much any time of the day you'd like, however it is busiest during regular business hours. It is possible to average $5 or $6 an hour during busy times.

Good luck! :D

Ginny Weasley
06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I don't have a foot pedal, but do use headphones. I wish they had some kind of keyboard shortcuts to rewind or pause the recording.

I download the audio and use VLC, ExpressScribe to transcribe :) and I don't use a foot pedal too.

Laurelei63
06-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Have to agree with Ginny... I use FTW. Personally, much easier than the Quick Time bar.

Must also agree with original poster... it is reliable. Have had no problems with getting whatever I "earned". No minimum required!!! Really like that part.

Have a good weekend!
Laura

mommy1117
07-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I've been with QT 3..going on 4 years now, and yes that are wonderful- always consistently pay on time. Consistent work- yes there are slow times, but you just work here and there and find out when is best for you to hop on. In a crunch I've always turned to them as a reliable side egg- and yes you can make a few hundred dollars per month with this egg. I consistently work QT for my side spending money, to take the kids out, trips, movies that sort of thing!

Magnetlady
08-27-2013, 08:17 AM
What I'm curious about is do you REALLY need to have a business licence in order to perform the transcriptions?

I'm sort of interested in this, but still am very leery about joining. I tried looking them up on the Better Business Bureau, and they're not accredited. I've been in the habit of researching companies to see if they're BBB accredited before going forward.

LadyMia
08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been up here. I have to admit also that QT and iDictate are good eggs. Always reliable and pay on time. I've been with QT pretty much since its beginning. I remember I used to sit up all night waiting for just one call to come through.

Now the work has increased to the point where, if I get on during regular biz hours of say 8:00 am est to around 6 pm est, I can find steady work and on the weekends too. I do work a brick & mortar job, so getting on and doing it is hard for me. I've gone weeks & not been able to get on and do any work. I like now the feature they have where you can download the audio into Escribe. I find I can get jobs done faster this way using my foot pedal and it increases my hourly rate.

However, one complaint I have is that I wish they would make it so you could do the jobs in Google Chrome and not in Firefox. Firefox is such a pain in the neck with all of their updates and at times it goes really, really slow. It would be nice if they would make it so that it was compatible with Chrome. This way I can stick to using just one internet browser.

Anyway, I still love the job and have seen how it has grown into a great company to work for. Wish there were other jobs like this that were as reliable in the Internet world.

Type on taters.

LadyMia
08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
What I'm curious about is do you REALLY need to have a business licence in order to perform the transcriptions?

I'm sort of interested in this, but still am very leery about joining. I tried looking them up on the Better Business Bureau, and they're not accredited. I've been in the habit of researching companies to see if they're BBB accredited before going forward.

You don't have to have a business license to do transcription work. Only if you are contracting the work out and operating as a business, as opposed to an independent contractor. I have worked many online transcription jobs and I don't possess a business license.

Dixi5Price
08-28-2013, 12:36 AM
I am here to tell you that they are the ONLY online company I've worked for that I can actually count on.http://mary.chalees.com/1.jpghttp://mary.chalees.com/2.jpghttp://mary.chalees.com/3.jpghttp://mary.chalees.com/4.jpg

missmoneyhoney
08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
There are a lot of outlandish claims in this thread. The most legit company?? The most reliable?? I'm sorry, but this company has had trouble paying people on time and trouble paying the correct amounts in the past. Also, there are several other companies that pay much more and on time that I would consider just as legitimate or more so than Quicktate, and they, at least, pay a living wage.

I know I won't change anyone's mind, and the usual people will get defensive and go into the usual "some money is better than no money" posts, but my post is mainly for the newbies.

You deserve better and can do better. Research transcription companies, and don't believe anyone that tells you this is the best that newbies can do. Quicktate is best looked at as paid transcription practice-- not a way to earn a living.

marknang
08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi!
I'm trying to get into the transcription field. I was looking at Quiktate. Is it normal to have to pay for a background check? I notice they want you to pay $15.00 for one.

LadyMia
09-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi!
I'm trying to get into the transcription field. I was looking at Quiktate. Is it normal to have to pay for a background check? I notice they want you to pay $15.00 for one.
Well, if they do, that's new to me. I never paid anything for a background check and not sure why they would want one.

To Missmoneyhoney, I know there are other transcription jobs out there that pay more, I've worked for some of them. But for someone starting out with no experience in transcription, QT is a good egg. I know in the beginning they had pay issues, but they've pretty much ironed that all out now. I've had nothing but a good experience with them, so that's what I am reporting on.

Now, if they are requiring background checks that people have to pay for, I wouldn't recommend anyone joining. It doesn't pay well enough to spend money on a background check, which I don't even know why they need to do background checks for this egg. It isn't as if you are being hired as an actual employee, unless they are changing something including the pay rate.

StrawberryKiss
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I completed the typing tests and passed! I did pay the $15 for the background check, but I don't mind since I can afford it (and I really need a job so it will be worth it in the end).

I just found out I'm pregnant and I've had horrible morning sickness so even though QT doesn't pay top dollar, it's better than being paid minimum wage at Dollar General and being on my feet all day... and constantly running to the bathroom to vomit... and dealing with annoying customers. :rolleyes:

I also applied to Lionbridge and I am waiting for them to email the online exam date to me. So once I pass that exam, I will have both QT and LB under my belt. I am so happy and can't wait to be a work-at-home mommy! :D

marknang
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Are you allowed to work now? I still haven't heard anything since the Background check and I paid for it last week.

utsarah
09-16-2013, 09:09 AM
I've been with QT since May 2010. I tried to log on this morning and cannot log into my Quicktate or iDictate account. Did they let me go and not even let me know??!! I put in a ticket through their help desk, but I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

allisonmackenzie
09-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Great to know. Thank you for the advice.

lkc001
10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi MissMoney---can you please list some of the companies you say you are happy with? Info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

lkc001
10-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi Strawberry----did you ever get work with QuickTate after you paid the $15 for a background check? I think would make me leary about working for them to have to pay THEM for a background check

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

IronMarshmellow
10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
What a joke. I went to the site and saw that they require "professional experience", previous job references and a whole bunch of other red tape just to get hired.

I thought this was for stay at home moms, not college graduates who fell asleep at the rave and got knocked up by accident. Some of us went from living at home straight to marriage. Some of us have NO PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE because we have been stay at home moms our whole lives. Where are the jobs for us???

crazy
10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I have been with Quicktate since 2009 and although there have been delays with payments in the past, I've always gotten paid down to the last cent. But there hasn't been any delays recently though. That's my experience, and I believe most of the people who have stayed with Quicktate this whole time stayed because of that.

However, having to pay $15 for a background check is something I haven't heard before. I also don't know anyone else who's had to pay anything to join Quicktate. I personally know just a handful of people who have been with Quicktate for a while now. Maybe that's a new thing? I don't know. But I guess I'm just glad that I when I joined, no payment was required.

zenhaltija
10-18-2013, 10:47 AM
However, having to pay $15 for a background check is something I haven't heard before. I also don't know anyone else who's had to pay anything to join Quicktate. I personally know just a handful of people who have been with Quicktate for a while now. Maybe that's a new thing? I don't know. But I guess I'm just glad that I when I joined, no payment was required.

The only thing I can think of is to prevent them from being sued for fraud despite non-disclosure agreements. I don't work with Quicktate but I never hire out when dealing with non-disclosure agreements. It's too risky. I do them by myself, with the door shut, complete the job, and they're the only files I don't keep for a few days. Delete. Quick.

Sometimes a client comes to me and says, "Do you have the zip for Set XX? I can't find it..." so I have the transcripts stored for a few days.

AlhanaS
11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
I signed up with Quicktate about 10 days ago and was accepted just yesterday and invited on to iDictate as well. My question is this..I type roughly 95-100wpm. I have a foot pedal but have never used it before (I got it from doing medical transcription training online..and am still in the process of completing that program). Has anyone been able to really make a living wage off of this? I'm a single mother..in school and was laid off from my job of 2 years just this past July due to medical issues that kept me from doing physical labor (Yay for not having a union down here.. -_- ). Working at home would be best, but I'd like to know that it's possible to make more than the minimum wage with this for say..20-30 hours a week work willing.

yvette24
11-06-2013, 03:51 PM
thank you for posting this. I signed up and passed both tests and now I am waiting on the results from the background test. About how long does it take before they contact you after they do the background check?

AlhanaS
11-06-2013, 05:26 PM
thank you for posting this. I signed up and passed both tests and now I am waiting on the results from the background test. About how long does it take before they contact you after they do the background check?

It took about a week and a half before I was contacted after the background check. It wasn't till then that I found out I scored high enough for iDictate too....then they made me take another test (it was..the same..so I'm not sure why I was required to take it), and I have to wait another 12-24 hours before I'm allowed to work on iDictate projects, I suppose.

malcido
11-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I only use Chrome when I work QT

malcido
11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
The $15 charge for the background check is paid AFTER you pass the tests and it just started in May of this year (2013).

LadyMia
11-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I only use Chrome when I work QT

Since when are you allowed to use Chrome to do this job? That must be something they just started also. Anytime I tried to use Google Chrome in the past, it always gave me a message saying to download Firefox, as that was the only browser it was compatible with.

I'm going to try now and see what happens. I hope I can use it in Chrome.

LadyMia
11-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Since when are you allowed to use Chrome to do this job? That must be something they just started also. Anytime I tried to use Google Chrome in the past, it always gave me a message saying to download Firefox, as that was the only browser it was compatible with.

I'm going to try now and see what happens. I hope I can use it in Chrome.

Yeah, I'm not able to use Chrome to do QT, so how are you able to? This is the message I get, when I try to use chrome to transcribe on QT:

Browser not supported
The Quicktate Typist Interface currently only supports the following browsers:
Windows Users: Firefox 3.5+ - Download
Mac Users: Safari 4.0 - Download
Please download and install one of the browsers mentioned above, then log back in. Thank you for typing for Quicktate.
To provide the best customer experience, Quicktate currently does not allow typists to use Internet Explorer for security and stability reasons.

So, not sure how anyone is able to do Quicktate on Chrome. Maybe you meant iDictate?