WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Amy Jacobs
08-13-2011, 12:43 PM
For me NO WAY!

I was sucked into a company back about 11 years ago my Aunt and Uncle were hosting a party and asked me to come over for dinner. So there I am there with other family members chatting away next thing I know it turned into a pitch. This guy (I never met) stood up and started a presentation (OMG) my grandparents were so angry..

Of course I joined out of obligation. Within a month they (my aunt and uncle) quit the business and left be hanging.

I dont do the warm market approach. I dont go to friends and pitch them I let them come to me when they are ready.

What about you?

allwyn
08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
lol, I would never sneak and do it, that's for sure. I think one should always share with friends and family, but one need to not have to rely on friends and family to succeed.

Learn, and learn marketing. And do it consistently and effectively and one will find others like themselves from all over that are ready to succeed with a home business.

Jayme Huffines
08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
No, I don't....I have people ask me and express interest, but I honestly don't want 99.9% of my friends or family to join my business, hehe

Hugalicious Ragdolls
08-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I remember a similar thing happening when I was a kid in the 70s. Our family went to a relatives house for dinner, there were lots of people there, and after everyone had eaten, a salesman got up and started an Amway presentation.
Mum and Dad bundled us kids up and got us all out of there quick smart. We didn't see much of those rellies afterwards ;)

bilbreycj7
08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
I just recently started to feel the positive effects of our product and the energy I have from it so I have found myself a couple of times these past few days in conversation and sharing the product came completely natural. That is the only way I will share my business with friends and family. If the conversation moves into the compensation side naturally than amen....all the better!!!

mlmgrl
08-13-2011, 05:03 PM
If it's something I think they would be into, sure. Otherwise no way. I'll sell to my family and friends but as far as the business opportunity, I let them come to me.

....and Amy, I'm from Chicago too! I'm a northsider, lol. I just went to a Sox game for the first time....it's no Wrigley but I had a good time, lol. I had my first Polish!

81charduck
08-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Marketing to or soliciting to my "warm market," no. However, everyone I know, family, friends, neighbors, etc. know what I do. I never ask any of them to join or purchase my product, but since they know what I do, occasionally I'll get referrals from people I know.

angienewton
08-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Not sure if you're talking just about network marketing because I'm not in that but heck YES I do share my business with my family and friends. I'm not afraid to talk to them about the various sites/blogs I have & invite them to check them out but I don't ever expect anything from them. You should not be afraid to share what you do with others, be proud of the way you make a living but don't be pushy.

Just my 2 cents:D

carterstory
08-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Because I sell skin care / have a skin care parties My first party was with family and friends, and they do order from me on a regular basis.. Did I push the party on them, no.. do I aggressivly try to sign them up no..
My husband did a company thaht a few of my family members were interested in.. but he never marketed to them.. they were interested all on their own.

rhpearson1
08-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Nope. I hate being approached by friends about business things they are selling. If I want what they have, I'll ask them about it. Of course, I understand how it works since I have my own business, too, but I never market to friends - if anything I use my skills to help them out when they ask so long as they aren't abusing the privilege, and since I have great friends, they never do abuse it. :)

lindastacy
08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Hopefully those sneaky dinner party presentations are a thing of the past. Personally I'd be offended if someone invited me to dinner and then started a sales or opportunity presentation. But I'd never be offended by a friend or family member telling me they started a new business selling jewelry or candles, or any other product.

It's natural to tell your family and friends about what you're doing whether it's a job or a business. If you started working at a law office or opened your own coffee shop downtown, wouldn't you let everyone know? Of course you would; you just wouldn't hand them all a job application. :confused:

Ditto what Angie said, "You should not be afraid to share what you do with others, be proud of the way you make a living but don't be pushy."

AvParties4u
08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not afraid to talk to them about the various sites/blogs I have & invite them to check them out but I don't ever expect anything from them. You should not be afraid to share what you do with others, be proud of the way you make a living but don't be pushy.

Just my 2 cents:D

Ditto on what Angie said! :)

jiminic2
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
My family doesn't understand much of internet marketing/selling. If they show and interest, I just point out the benefits of my products/blogs and give them the link to see for themselves.

simplewahm
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
No not really. I like to keep personal and business seperate.

nuper17
08-16-2011, 04:18 AM
you may use facebook or twitter. After all, what are the use of these social networking sites if we are not going to take advantage of it.

jandamom
08-16-2011, 04:21 AM
Yes I market to family and friends but I am in the party plan business with jewelry and food.

vemmamom
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I love sharing our products with people I care about because I want to help people. I tell them about my experience, offer them a sample and they ususally want to use the product.Then if they are interested I tell them about the business. No surprises, just sharing. Because we have no sign up fees there is no pressure:)

Aviva B
08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Similar to many of you above - I do try to let my family and friends know what I do, because people who think well of you anyway can often sell you and your products/services very well to people they know who would be a relevant target market.

But being pushy is usually negative no matter who it's aimed at - whether it's your sister or just a random potential client.

maximumleverage
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
lol, I would never sneak and do it, that's for sure. I think one should always share with friends and family, but one need to not have to rely on friends and family to succeed.

Learn, and learn marketing. And do it consistently and effectively and one will find others like themselves from all over that are ready to succeed with a home business.

i agree,

you can mention the business to your family and friends but you

don't need them to join your business to succeed.

insightfulmommy
08-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Back when I did network marketing, yes, I did. Every relative I approached signed up with me. But, they did not stick - they all quit for one reason or another. I could not blame them.

Now, not really - I mentioned it once, but anything having to do with the internet is foreign to them.

Oh well :rolleyes:

QueenMaa
08-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I do share the product with my friends and family but I don't usually market the business to them, I figure if they want to join the business they will let me know. I share the products with everyone, because they are really good products and I don't want to leave anyone out.

jlbear21
08-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I've been very hesitant to use the warm market approach because in the past 3 years I've been in 3 different companies and feel like I've burnt out my warm market, at least until I get some real momentum going. My team and company are very big on doing "in homes" however we're not sneaky about it, in fact before we even invite people we get them to an overview line and website first, so when they're at the party, they're ready to hear the last bit of information and taste the products and make a decision.

Otherwise, I agree with what was said earlier about if you got a new job you're excited about, you're going to tell your circle about it, so what makes a business any different, especially if it's something you're confident can help them? The key is to not be pushy. Give them a business card with your website on it and when they're ready, they'll come back to you.

Shanna Hall
08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Of course I do. The nice thing is, family is nosey and when they ask me what I'm doing these days, I tell 'em. Also, I believe wholeheartedly in our wellness products and if one of them is a fit for someone I care about, then I approach them on it. I'm a product of the product and to not share, I believe, would be a disservice to them. If they do, they do, if they don't, they don't. I continue to share my success, as I would with a J.O.B. no different than when they all celebrate when 'Sally', gets a promotion, etc...

Christine Hiebel
08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I do share this with my friends and my family EVEN THOUGH they have seen me in a few different MLMs. There are more Americans dying of obesity related deaths than cancer even thinks of touching... why wouldn't I want my friend and my family on these amazing products. I am not pushy, nor intrusive. After 3 months, I now have many people calling me to join... they see that I am not all about the money... they can tell how much I care!.... then they see the success. Had two join today because I took the loving and gentle route.. all the best! and thanks for asking.

Christine

BradMarcus
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes, but do it in a subtle, non threatening way.

Here's the pros do it. Let people know you're in a new business and you really believe in it. If they want to know more, they'll ask you. Don't ask them to join, just let them know you're in it. That way you're not pushing it on them. Also, ask you 're family and friends if they know anyone who would be interested in your business. See how they answer that.

To Your Success,
Brad Marcus

myplins
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes you can share with your family and friends but you don't need them to join to succeed. If you only rely on your warm market then I doubt your success will last... Cold market is the largest market and should be the one to approach first.

ccorrente
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree, I will share my ideas and products with my family and friends but I certainly do not push them. I find that my interests are not allways the same as many of my family and friends so my products, which I happen to love or I would not be able to promote them, often do not appeal to many of my friends and family. Especially my personal development business is just not something that many of my family and friends understand much about but I know there are many, many out there that could benefit from this information so I just put it out there for those that I know will find it resonates with them.

milifestyle
08-29-2011, 02:29 AM
I think the key is to treat friends and family no different to any one else... I build my business based on solving peoples problems... If I have a product that can help solve a problem I hear someone is having (family, friend or stranger) I will let them know about it...

The same applies to building a network... If I hear key phrases... "looking for a part time job", "need a few extra dollars to make it through each month", etc... and if my business can solve that problem, i'm not going to sit on it...

DeeAmber
09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
No. I don't need to market or hassle them. My products sell themselves and I've noticed that they generally come to me and ask me about them.

I don't like the approach of pressuring people (esp. family & friends) to jump in on your biz venture. It's classless and not my style. I think we've all been suckered into something or pitched to and I know how unpleasant it feels, so I would never want to do that to my loved ones or anyone out there.

If you make yourself visible and available, people will come to you where they are ready or there is a need. It's my belief that if you're in a company that's pressuring you to sign up your loved ones or corner them into your product/program, that it's not that impressive of one to begin with and not where you want to be.

bellajessa
09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
I do think you can share your business or product with your friends and family. Do not make them feel obligated to helping you out. You can market to your targeted niche and you will get business from pp that are looking for it. If they want to join or buy and come to you them that is great :)

Jessica:D:)

mjdag4795
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
For me NO WAY!

I was sucked into a company back about 11 years ago my Aunt and Uncle were hosting a party and asked me to come over for dinner. So there I am there with other family members chatting away next thing I know it turned into a pitch. This guy (I never met) stood up and started a presentation (OMG) my grandparents were so angry..

Of course I joined out of obligation. Within a month they (my aunt and uncle) quit the business and left be hanging.

I dont do the warm market approach. I dont go to friends and pitch them I let them come to me when they are ready.

What about you?
I no longer market to friends and family either. I've been through so many "new things" , I don't even bother them anymore. I too let them hear about what I do, but don't bring it to them directly. I don't want to hear the negative comments from past failed attempts.
I love what I do now and wish I had found this company sooner. It's funny because now that they know or hear about what I do and offer... friends and family are beginning to come to me, but that'd have to be only way they would get more information from me about it.
Now look who is approaching who...hehehe :)

francescafinejewelry
09-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't market to friends and family. They all know that I sell jewelry. If they see something on my site that they love, I usually just give it to them unless it's in the high hundreds or thousands. Then I give it to them at cost of materials if they want it. My kids on the other hand just take what they want. LOL I just made my son's best friend a three carat ruby bracelet because he didn't have any money to buy his girlfriend a birthday present for her Sweet 16 birthday. I love him like my own and didn't want to see him upset over it.

cindi8d
09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
No way. I never market to friends, family, work-people (hubs) or church people. My business is made 99% of cold market clients and I love it that way! My friends love it that way too :)

cindi

IceMustang
09-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Rarely, but then again I own an article writing site so I'm not exactly selling anything. My dad is a network marketer but he doesn't sell to family, and it relates to automotive/truck/diesel/motorcycle stuff so his friends are interested anyways. Even with strangers, he doesn't even pitch, he lets them ask the questions and answers them as asked. Long story short, he's very successful.

uberlove
09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree with DeeAmber. I don't want to pitch to friends or family. If they ask I'll say yes, I do this. If they want a catalog I will give them one. But I'm not going to pressure them into buying stuff from me. Actually a lot of the females in the family will be getting gifts from Avon-just because I will get a discount on them!

The way I look at it is, if you are doing something pro bono (free service, free gift) its okay to involve friends and family. But expecting them to buy from you is asking too much and can strain relations.

Dugsmom
09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't. I've always felt that if they're interested they'll ask me. Besides, I don't want my family to join or purchase something from me because they feel obligated. I know that's how I feel when they come asking me to buy something from them. I hate that feeling.

spifty1
09-24-2011, 04:54 AM
more trouble than it's worth I think.

BBKS
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't like to use my Family and friends but I ask them to use they friends for me just for word of mouth referrals for my products and services.

Julia
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Never, I just think it has the potential to lead to bad feelings between you and a sale is never worth that.

DeeAmber
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree with DeeAmber. I don't want to pitch to friends or family. If they ask I'll say yes, I do this. If they want a catalog I will give them one. But I'm not going to pressure them into buying stuff from me. Actually a lot of the females in the family will be getting gifts from Avon-just because I will get a discount on them!

The way I look at it is, if you are doing something pro bono (free service, free gift) its okay to involve friends and family. But expecting them to buy from you is asking too much and can strain relations.

Totally! Any time I've been pressured to pitch to my family or friends, I've been hesitant. I just feel like I prefer to share if they are interested, but I've been a part of people's warm market and had the pitches and sneaky meeting invites thrown at me and it turned me off every single time.

There is absolutely no company out there that should be pressuring someone to slam their products or services onto their loved ones or friends. It's tacky and not worth ruining your relationships or credibility.

Cold market? Sure thing. I can do the whole sales approach, but family and friends? No. It's not cool with me and I feel if one is doing something they love enough, they will be able to share it casually and not put any of their loved ones into an awkward bind/position.

davidtampien
10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
I remember an experience from many years ago. I was a young and ambitious life insurance salesman. A friend of mine was getting a party together and asked me to come, but with a caveat, "I'd like you to come to my party but only if you won't talk to anyone about insurance". That hurt a little but it also hit home. I hadn't actually even realized that I was doing that, but apparently...

So today I spend my time marketing and learning more about marketing online. I work at branding myself and if anyone is interested in what I say or if some one sees that I might have something of value to offer, some way we will connect. I'd much rather do it that way.

I'm not pushy by nature, in fact I tend to be more on the reserved (say shy) side. But even with that I've seen myself thinking, and sometimes (long ago) saying, that the newest, greatest, gonna take over the world business just has to be what you have been looking for all you life, right? Sorry, no. Most people are not even looking to be their own boss or own their own business. Better to go fishing with the right bait and let the right fish come to you.

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA

seeingred
10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
my family and friends knew everything before I started the business. They were the ones I looked to for advice and ideas, so there was no need for a "sales pitch". If they liked it they bought or had a party. Plus they would let on to their friends, so it has been working for me.