WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Freelance_Mom
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I now own 4 websites. I've had a few days of "lull" in my ghostwriting work--enough to launch them and get serious about promoting them.

I am starting to see there is a real potential for disorganization here. After all, I know I need to do the following for each site.

* Build back links
* Write and post quality content
* Promote through social media efforts--sometimes across multiple social media accounts

In 2 days I have discovered it is very easy to spend hours just looking for places where I might, say, try to get a guest post spot. Each site has to then be thoroughly researched, and the guest post guidelines marked. Then a post needs to get written and submitted. While I keep an eye out for places to give (quality, insightful) comments. I'm having a hard time putting together a reasonable to-do list for each site, though perhaps this will be easier with time.

So here's the question. If you own websites:

How do you organize your marketing when all of it is relationship oriented (which is difficult to measure?) How do you build a marketing to-do list for each site that you own? How do you track exactly what you've done for each site? Is there a spreadsheet set-up that works for you? How do you determine when one of your sites needs a bit more attention? If you also have other functions to perform for your business (i.e. a service that you give as part of your business) how do you make sure that the marketing area of your service doesn't suffer in some form or fashion?

Thanks for reading!

Celene Harrelson
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I put together a word.doc planner that lists what I need to do where and how often/when. I print it out weekly and check it off as I go. Make sure you are taking advantage of free article directories to publish your posts as articles and also use free document sharing sites as well like scribd.com, slideshare.net, issuu.com and youpublish.com as well to show what you are capable of writing. If you are going to the effort of writing this stuff for exposure, you might as well get maximum exposure.

Celene Harrelson
TheHappypreneur.con

Freelance_Mom
07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Celene! How do you handle things that might be a bit fuzzier on time? Like--I crafted a 900 word guest blog post and submitted it. It could be several weeks before I hear back. I know that in order to do more of these I'd have to continue to find additional blogs to work with. How much time, on your planner, would you devote to researching opportunities like that and crafting content for them?

Yesterday I basically put the following on my to-do list with other tasks:

* Backlinks building (1 hour). This covered all time spent on blogs, social media, and forums, relationship building and finding opportunities to build back links, whether I successfully built one or not.
* Create Squidoo lens on topic (back link for site #2)
* Create Squidoo lens on other topic (back link for site #3)
* Post new product (site #2).

Am I on the right track do you think?

I also sort of devised a Backlinks tracking spreadsheet that at least is showing me that yes, I am accomplishing something, this isn't just all spinning my wheels. It all feels very different than my freelance writing work which is: get assignment. Sit down. Pound out assignment until it is done. Make sure assignment is good. Turn in assignment. It's a much different kind of productivity!

rhpearson1
08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I use the Google calendar as my savior for planning. I do guest blogging and writing as well as managing some of my own sites, and I plan out my days months in advance. I put everything on the calendar using times even so I can manage the projects every day. I also have plenty of friends who use white boards around their office to keep up with and track projects on a daily/weekly/monthly basis as well.

Aviva B
08-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Internet marketing can be very frustrating, because you don't see the return on effort immediately, or at all (i.e. spending time investigating sites for which it would be relevant to link to you, writing to them a personal letter telling them about your site and how it fits into the resource list they already have - and then you never hear back. Aarrgg...).

For general organization, we use Basecamp (http://basecamphq.com/). It's especially helpful for us because we have more than one person working on our projects, but it's good for getting everything organized. (Just so you know - on their pricing page they very much downplay their less expensive plans - look for a little line at the bottom about the basic and free plans.)

If you want a copy of the spreadsheet we use to track our linkbuilding (it's not so fancy, but it might give you an idea of how to organize it), you can PM me your email address.

You seem like you're putting a lot into the off-site marketing. Are you also optimizing your site for keywords? It's a shame to be getting good backlinks (of which I hope you get many) and for it not to be helping the site as much as it could because it's not optimized.

starbirdy66
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I use Microsoft One Note for all kinds of organizing from keeping lists in one place on social media accounts, guest posts placements and back linking; to pages for each site of article ideas and website ideas.

You create books and each book and then manage tabs by topic and within each tab you can have pages and subpages. I'll never lose my mind again trying to find where I saved a file, or where my list of article ideas went.

Freelance_Mom
08-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I do love my One Note! I just hadn't seen the applications for IM.

Aviva--I do try to be keyword focused on my sites, yes. I just feel a little bit overwhelmed by that because it honestly seems like there's already thousands of sites competing for that same keyword. I don't have much sense of what I'd have to do to make that keyword at all competitive on my pages. I do use the Wordpress Meta Tags/SEO plug-in to make sure I'm hitting that keyword wherever I can though.

shand
08-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Wow, so glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this issue. For the time being, I'm using facebook fan pages to get my fan base started and the next move is to get my blog up.

I wish I had some magic fairy dust to add to this conversation or ground-breaking automation, I don't. I've recently been working with a mentor who's one of the tops in internet marketing, and when I asked this same question, she said there was really no one good approach because you also have to start testing what you're doing, tweaking and moving on. Her best advice was in the numbers monitoring....

If I ever figure out a "process" that is repeatable and definable, that will be the product I start selling online!

Thanks for the sharing, and allowing me to share.

Susan;)

Freelance_Mom
08-07-2011, 09:28 AM
*g* Maybe that's something to start looking for then! I'm very "systems" oriented--not necessarily automation/software/push button oriented, but more: "On Monday you do X,Y, and Z to produce Result X." Internet marketing, so far, seems to resist this kind of a system...but I'm not going to give up, because I have a feeling when I hammer out a good system things will start moving very quickly.

Mommy Mentor
08-07-2011, 10:10 AM
do a spreadsheet that outlines all the products you are selling and your marketing efforts.

insightfulmommy
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Freelance_Mom,

Jeez - I could have written this post!

I am so unorganized it is sad :(

I have taken some tips from your post already - but the thing I noticed was when AvivaB mentioned keywords, you said you felt overwhelmed by the competition. Keywords can make or break you, really.

I have been online marketing for 2 yrs. and that is one thing I can attest to - that keywords are all important.

I have a site that I have had from day 1 and it has little or no backlinks, no social media, BUT always been keyword optimized - that site is doing awesome!

My newer sites are all optimized as well, with backlinks, etc. and are slowly creeping up.

So, my 2 cents - get those keywords where they should be in titles, desc., and throughout your site.

And thanks for all your tips - I really appreciate it!

dagaul101
08-09-2011, 06:13 AM
The main thing is to try to find similar sites in your niche and get a feel for how they promote their site by checking their backlinks

Freelance_Mom
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I'll keep working them then, Insightfulmommy, and will believe in them! I do feel like I've gotten better at understanding which keywords actually represent the people looking for what I, specifically, have to offer, and am trying to work them into my blog posts, if only in the metatags.