THESE BOARDS ARE NOW READ ONLY -- PLEASE COME TO OUR *NEW* MESSAGE BOARDS: www.wahm.com/forum

See you there! Cheryl :)

WAHM.com logo
WAHM WAHM Free WAHM Masters Course
WAHM Home
WAHM boards
WAHM.com jobs
WAHM.com articles
WAHM opportunities
WAHM Classifieds
WAHM Directory
WAHM Businesses
WAHM editorial
WAHM Mom the cartoon
WAHM bookstore

WAHM Links
WAHMEE Award
WAHM.com Undercover
Ask Jane
Recipes
WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  Online Auctions *ebay*
  Is it worth it to get an ebay store?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Is it worth it to get an ebay store?
brandy6635
WAHM.com regular
posted November 12, 2004 02:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for brandy6635   Click Here to Email brandy6635     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a lot of clothes and other household things that I would like to sell. Would it be worth if for me to get an ebay store and list all my stuff on there or just keep doing auctions like I have been? Is it fairly simple to set up a store?

Any advice or helpful info would be great!

IP: Logged

bluerose01
WAHM.com regular
posted November 12, 2004 09:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bluerose01   Click Here to Email bluerose01     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Brandy,

I opened a store about 6 months ago to see if it would be profitable for me. At that time eBay was offering the first 30 days for free so I tried it. The store listings are only 3 cents each, so what I do is list several items in a store catagory and then list one or two auction items in the same cagatory and use the cross promotion tool. My eBay stores sales are about 50% of all of my ebay sales. So for me it was definately worth it. If eBay is still offering the first 30 days for free I would encourage you to try it and see if it would work for you.

I hope this helps!

------------------
Jill Paulos
www.bluerosewholesale.com

bluerose01
WAHM.com regular
posted November 12, 2004 09:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bluerose01   Click Here to Email bluerose01     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PS: eBay is still offering the 30 day free trial to open a store. http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/start.html

------------------
Jill Paulos
www.bluerosewholesale.com

brandy6635
WAHM.com regular
posted November 14, 2004 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for brandy6635   Click Here to Email brandy6635     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks! I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Purple Goddess
New to WAHM.com
posted November 14, 2004 11:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Purple Goddess     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I used to run an ebay store for a yarn store. The ebay store was an excellent way for customers to see what stock was available in the actual physical store and also a way for cutomers to find out more about the store itself. I highly recommend an ebay store, just be sure that you maintain your stock. Customers get bored easily with a seller if they do not maintain their stock.
I did quite a bit of research originally for this customer, because they were in the same position, not sure whether it would really work for them. In the end it was a great seller for them. I no longer run the store for them because the employee who was my primary contact began working outside the yarn shop and no longer had time to maintain the online stock. Do keep in mind that running an ebay store does require some time. Customers appreciate swift service and replies, and the best way to keep customers coming back is excellent customer service.

If anyone else is interested, has questions, or would like to hire me to run a store, please email me at prplgds@yahoo.com

------------------
Live your life as if it were a good story. The best way to be remembered is how exciting your life story is.

Mckenziesattic
New to WAHM.com
posted November 17, 2004 11:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mckenziesattic   Click Here to Email Mckenziesattic     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi, I agree, the stores are very helpful in boosting sales. The Store also come with your own URL, which means when someone searches on Google or another search engine...your items pop up. It is a great advertising tool.

Thanks and Good luck to you.

Kim
Mckenziesattic
www.mckenziesattic.com

lisa5118
New to WAHM.com
posted February 05, 2007 03:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lisa5118     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I started selling items on eBay about a year and a half ago. At that time having a store really worked out well for me. I was able to list a lot of items without having high auction fees. I used auction items to draw customer into my store where they spent most of their money. But, with the recent increases in eBay fees, selling on eBay has altogether become less profitable. I still have an eBay store, but I rarely run auctions, and I am moving my focus to selling through my own website.

If you don't already sell on eBay, I would suggest considering all the eBay fees before spending a buch of time setting up a store on eBay. Consider instead starting your own website. If you spend the necessary time learning how to optimize your website to show up in the top of the search engines, you will save a lot of money in the long run and never have to worry about increasing fees for selling your products.

------------------
Lisa Robbins
Baseball Uniforms
Scrapbooking Supplies

lisa5118
New to WAHM.com
posted February 05, 2007 04:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lisa5118     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Also, I did not mention this before, but if you do decide that an eBay store is the way to go, it would be better to open a store if you have a large quantity of each item. If you have several items that are all different you will spend a lot of time listing new auctions in your store, but if you have a bunch of the same things, you can list one item in your store and sell 20 of those things without having to take new pictures or creat a new description. EBay stores seem to work best for people how can do this.

------------------
Lisa Robbins
Baseball Uniforms
Soccer Uniforms
Scrapbooking Supplies

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com