The GED high school diploma program is designed for adults who did not earn their high school diploma in a traditional high school setting. Many adults realize that having a high school diploma, or GED equivalent, is crucial in furthering their education or obtaining a quality career. How can you earn your GED, or General Education Development credential?
What The Test Consists Of
In order to obtain your GED, you must prepare yourself for the requirements of the test. The test is administered by a federal agency, known as the American Council on Education, at various locations across the nation. The following skills will be tested on the GED test:
- Writing: The writing test is divided into two parts. The first part of the test consists of 50 multiple choice questions regarding the basic English language and grammar, with a time limit of 75 minutes. The second part of the test will require you to write an essay on an assigned topic, with a time limit of 45 minutes.
- Reading: The reading test is a 65-minute long test in which you must read poetry and other literary works to answer 40 multiple choice questions.
- Social Studies: With a time limit of 70 minutes, you will be given 50 multiple choice questions with an emphasis on geography, government policies, economics and history.
- Mathematics: Some questions on the math portion of the test are multiple choice, others are not. With a time limit of 90 minutes, you must complete math problems with skills in geometry, basic arithmetic, patterns, statistics and algebra functions.
- Science: With an 80 minute time limit, you will be given a series of questions on physical science, life science and Earth science. The test consists of 50 multiple choice questions.
Once you have decided to obtain your GED, you might wonder where you can enroll in a GED program or take your test. There are a variety of methods of ways to achieve your goal of earning your GED.
Visit your local community college and enroll in their GED preparation class. These classes will cover the material you can expect on the test, and you will develop skills that are necessary to pass the GED test. In addition, GED class teachers will reveal study tips to help you pass your GED test.
Buy a GED study book and review the provided materials. While you won't have access to a teacher, you can certainly make notes of any questions you might have and ask a friend, co-worker or family member for assistance. Online GED study programs are available, though you will not have direct access to a teacher if you have questions that arise. Also, these courses generally charge a fee for the necessary materials.
Practice your skills by taking a GED practice test. Normally GED practice tests are included with GED preparation classes as well as GED study guides. GED testing facilities are available at various locations across the country, including community colleges and other testing facilities. You cannot take the GED test online, so you should be cautious of any program that says otherwise.