Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Self-care Advocate

Default What's killing your business

Are you a media geek? A goal setting nerd? If those words ticked you off, I’m gonna guess that’s a yes. Do you test drive every shiny new tool that comes out? Read all the productivity and time management blogs or books you can find? It might be killing your business, buddy.

From a business [and life] perspective I think it’s important to understand what can kill productivity. This isn’t always obvious and you certainly may disagree. Here are some biggies that have I think hold us back. Buckle up, it’s gonna get bumpy…

Multitasking
We’re not wired to multi-task, and we pretend we’re good at it. No, we’re not. Do I still do it? Sadly, ALL the time and I’m not proud of that. Look at me switching from email to Twitter to an IM! See how I talk on the phone and still do my computer work simultaneously with my dual monitors and multiple windows! Meanwhile sales of aspirin, coffee, antacids, sleep aids and alcohol abound. But hey, we’re productive. Not effective, mebbe, but really, really productive.
Desktop notifications
Shut off all desktop notifications like email pop-ups, third-party social networking and IM apps. These pop-ups take you off task. Trust me, it’ll be OK. We’re an instant gratification culture. I might be going nowhere, but at least I’m getting there FAST.
Multiple devices
We are addicted to technology. Me, included. The new IT ensures that our data is always synced to an ever-increasing number of devices. How about the 2 laptops, iPad and iPhone next to each other buzzing all at once? Even switching to vibrate draws your attention. Heaven forbid the cell phone rings and you ignore it! Blasphemy, I say! It could be business! And it could be that recorded telemarketing call we all love…now THAT’S time well spent.
Not taking breaks
We take such pride in telling others how hard we work without taking a break. [I personally haven’t taken a break in 3 years. ] Taking a break allows you that mental rest and if you ate, raises your blood sugar, too. Didn’t you love recess at school? It was a break from all that mental activity. And shoot, if lunchtime was a major, I’d have my doctorate in it.
Allowing other things to control your calendar
Covey says don’t prioritize your schedule, schedule your priorities. Schedule “do not disturb” time to focus, or “me” time or family time. Don’t completely block off every minute of your calendar and schedule more time than you need for each project. Build in that safety net and reduce your stress.
Poorly managing meetings
Never have a meeting if you can say it on paper, is my philosophy. When you work at home you will likely have online meetings. Take the time to properly prepare and manage your meetings. Think outside the box and use tech to your advantage, My company records all the training calls as an option for those unable to attend “in person”.
Over organization
When you have a never-ending list of folders in your email, you spend more time filing and searching for emails than you do finding the information you need. Use fewer folders or the search option. Make it work for you not CREATE work for you.

My bottom line? I hear constantly the importance of developing relationships in growing a successful business. When over 90% of network marketers fail, it begs the question: how’s that productivity working for you?

DISCLOSURE: No electrical equipment was harmed in the writing of this blog.

To your new now.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks for not harming any electrical equipment. For me - I am all about the relationship. I truly WANT to help people. I probably don't spend enough time promoting my actual links. Talking about Xpress or the products and using it? YES. Just probably not enough time promoting the LINKS.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM
WAHM Fanatic

This one really spoke to me Annie-Pat because I do try to squeeze every drop of productivity out of each day. I'm connected with my laptop and iPhone and get messages on Skype and try to stay up to date with reading blogs, commenting on posts and promoting my business. Over the past fews weeks, though, I have chosen to spend more time training new team members and helping others and to me that is time extremely well spent. Helping someone else succeed is a key component in the relationships that I've built with people. I've been able to fine tune my business so that I can do my work at off times and still enjoy time with my family and friends - which is one of the best things about being your own boss. It's all about making the most of your day and I'm loving that I am able to do that!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM
WAHM Addict

Like you Annie-Pat, I do many of these things. My worst is not the techie things. I forget to take breaks. Some days, I would work right through lunch and dinner until bedtime if my hubby didn't drag me away! I sometimes take a 1/2 break and read, but not nearly often enough.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM
WAHM Regular

This is great. I think this is a post I need to bookmark. Without doing some of these things - I just drive myself to burn out. Which doesn't help anyone! Excellent!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
M Peplinski

Hi Annie-Pat, great post. Thanks for the information. Liked and shared!

Oops, wrong website. I've been on IBO a lot. :-)

Seriously though, this is really helpful. As you may know, I'm just about three weeks into the business and I'm really pushing to learn and get things done. I work full-time and don't get home until around 6:45 PM or so. Then I hop on the computer to check my e-mail, check out my back office, read and post on IBO, I come here and then check out other sites. I usually go to bed around 2 or 3 AM. I'm on the computer all weekend. I need a mani-pedi really bad. :-( I've neglected some house chores and my social life a bit too.

I'm guilty as charged for over organizing, especially my e-mails. I have folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and so on. You know what? You're right! I can never find anything when I need it. I end up doing a "search all." You've inspired me to cut back on some of those.

You've also made me, and I'm sure others think about slowing down a bit. I do need to take time for myself, and my family and friends. Personally, I feel if I don't do that, I'll just burn myself out. I won't let that happen because this Xpress opportunity is way too important to me. Plus, like your "shower" post, you never know what new ideas will come to you while you're taking some "me" time.

Thanks, Annie-Pat! :-)

~Michelle
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up Thank you Annie-Pat

Thank you Annie-Pat!

It sounds like you touched something in quite a few with your post. I know it touched on something I have been struggling with lately. I have been trying to get more balance into my personal and professional life. It's even harder when you enjoy what you do

I just started using this forum and look forward to your future post.

Adele

Tags
goal setting, legit at home business, residual income