WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Writing: Freelancing (https://www.wahm.com/forum/writing-freelancing-46/)
-   -   If You've Been Burned, I WANT To Know About It! Writing Sites You've Been Burned By? (https://www.wahm.com/forum/writing-freelancing-46/725929-if-youve-been-burned-i-want-know-about-writing-sites-youve-been-burned.html)

maxitoutwriter 01-26-2014 12:00 PM

If You've Been Burned, I WANT To Know About It! Writing Sites You've Been Burned By?

Us writers need to stick together.

I see a lot of recommendations, but what about the "not-so-good" websites? I'm looking for work, but I want to avoid companies that aren't worth my time. So, where have you had blatantly bad experiences?

The only site that I ever got ripped off at intentionally was London Brokers when I first started. Took me for $30 and banned me for a hyphen error. It was like- this. On the brightside, I did learn the proper way to use hyphens after that. I've worked at very few sites, most were reputable, so I haven't been ripped off much yet.

Lets call out these shady companies, so they don't harm writers.

But don't just say you got ripped off. What'd they do?

Miss Aurora 01-26-2014 06:51 PM

I haven't really felt burned by any of them to any great extent. There have been times when a DMS ed has caused me to pour a larger glass of pinot noir than usual and turn off my computer for the night, and I felt fairly gamed by a certain managed team at TB a few months back. For the most part, though, the content sites I've written for have been good to me as far as paying on time and so on.

Jamie C 01-26-2014 10:15 PM

Sites that are deliberate about ripping off writers are usually doing so because of the attitude and policies of the business owner.

I often see online businesses go through major changes when there is a change of ownership and/or management.

If unsure about a site, I suggest finding out a bit about the people that own and/or manage it. You can do a few quick checks on their name to see if they have a bad rep.

You can also do google searches like:
"name of website" scam
"name of website" review
forum "name of website"

Be sure to filter results so that you get the most recent results (within the past 3 months).

cgray77 01-26-2014 10:54 PM

Just a comment-- while it is unlikely that you may find a company retaliating for you against this, I'd suggest that any recommendations be prefaced with "this is my experience." Statements of opinion are almost completely proof from slandar or libel accusations, while statements of fact aren't-- it also has the advantage of being true-- I have had absolutely horrible experiences and yet know other people who had an excellent experience with the same client.

GrapeLivre 01-27-2014 08:14 AM

The only writing site I signed up for was Bubblews. I cashed out in 7/22013 and they never paid me. I contacted them several times. They just say they are looking into it.

ShellieJ 01-27-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Aurora (Post 3189532)
I haven't really felt burned by any of them to any great extent. There have been times when a DMS ed has caused me to pour a larger glass of pinot noir than usual and turn off my computer for the night

I think that's a circumstance experienced by many :D

Lori786 01-27-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrapeLivre (Post 3189613)
The only writing site I signed up for was Bubblews. I cashed out in 7/22013 and they never paid me. I contacted them several times. They just say they are looking into it.

Similar story here, Bubblews has been the only site I've got burned by. I am still writing in e-mails to them to get them to pay my redemption. Quite sad, they seemed so promising...!

skcandles 01-27-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori786 (Post 3189659)
Similar story here, Bubblews has been the only site I've got burned by. I am still writing in e-mails to them to get them to pay my redemption. Quite sad, they seemed so promising...!

Ditto to this one. I have gotten some funds, but I am still fighting and its been over 4 months.

colly5 01-28-2014 10:33 AM

Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.

Lori786 01-30-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colly5 (Post 3189871)
Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.

That's awful - you're better off without them. I hope though you get your money back!