Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Super WAHM

Default Potential clients who won't sign contracts

This just happened today. I've been increasing my private client search and just got a response. The money was reasonable. I mentioned that I've been using a contract for years and I'd draw it up. None of it is complicated. Essentially, it says that client pays me, I don't extort client and for long projects, I add in a kill fee.

Client says, "Wait, wait, that's not necessary," followed by another short paragraph for why he won't sign the contract and will pay me upfront. I explain that contracts really aren't intended to be adversarial and that this contract protects us both. He replies that he's under a tight deadline and doesn't have time to read my non-legalese 1-1/2 page contract. I suggested that we establish a per word price instead of a per project price so we would have an annual contract instead of a contract for every project. He hasn't replied and I'm not chasing him. A client who won't sign a contract is a client I don't need.

I feel like this means that I'm a "real" freelancer. I'm not a newbie who will work for anyone with few standards. I'm not saying all newbies are like this, but I sure was. It feels nice know that I was a professional and made a professional choice.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Many people won't sign something without their attorney looking at it. If you've decided that you won't write without a contract, though, then good for you for sticking to your guns!

www.michellekulas.com
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Super WAHM

Sometimes you just need to walk away.

In my opinion, no legitimate client will balk at a contract, and it does show professionalism on your part to have one. I agree that contracts serve to protect the parties concerned.

I also feel that it's okay (and sometimes necessary) to fire a client.

If a relationship is obviously not going to work out to the benefit of all concerned everyone is merely wasting time & resources when they try to salvage it.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Many people won't sign something without their attorney looking at it. If you've decided that you won't write without a contract, though, then good for you for sticking to your guns!
I agree that clients should consider taking any contact to their attorney for review.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpirit View Post
Sometimes you just need to walk away.

In my opinion, no legitimate client will balk at a contract, and it does show professionalism on your part to have one. I agree that contracts serve to protect the parties concerned.

I also feel that it's okay (and sometimes necessary) to fire a client.

If a relationship is obviously not going to work out to the benefit of all concerned everyone is merely wasting time & resources when they try to salvage it.
I agree. In this particular situation, the potential client kept backtracking and gave me a new excuse. First, he said he was too busy, then he said he worked for someone else, then when I asked what company he worked for he said he didn't just understand it. I'm certain that I dodged a bullet.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Always follow your gut and listen to that tiny voice!

www.michellekulas.com