Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Anyone have any advice on book writing and publishing?

Hello all! I'm diving in to the world of book writing and publishing. I've never attempted this before and I'm learning as I go.

The writing part I can do. I know a couple editors but I'm open to suggestions.

With publishing, I'm totally lost. I don't understand all publishing options and which is better for me as a new author. Self-publishing? Small publisher?

I could use some advice! Have any of you successful WAHMs written and published a book before? Do you have an favorite resources you can point me to? Everyone has differing advice, it seems.

Thanks,
Laura

Last edited by Professional WAHM; 04-04-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi Laura,

I am not into writing books but if I was starting out you might want to checkout Amazon here. They do kindle books and paper back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-acco...opic=200260520

Chris
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM
WAHM Regular

I am a published author. I went with a small publisher. I got their name through a friend who published through them. Networking and talking to other writers is important if you want to go this route.

I am currently seeking agent representation, as small publisher reach is limited. I want my books in libraries and bookstores.

Self publishing is an option, but don't do it if you want to be traditionally published someday.

Some good resources might depend on the genre you will write. There are organizations for Romance Writers RWA, children's writers (SCBWI), etc... Joining an organization gives you resources, allows you to network, and shows you are serious.

Some good websites are Preditors and Editors (Preditors & Editors), Harold Underdown has a great website for children's authors. A children's book editor's site: writing, illustrating, publishing children's books. Jane Friedman also offers some great advice on her website. https://janefriedman.com/.

Know that there is not much money in publishing, unless you somehow write the next 50 Shades of Grey. Most writers, even successful ones, have other jobs. Some of them grow organically from learning the business...speaking, teaching, editing, etc...
Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Registered WAHM

Congratulations on being published! I've heard the exact opposite - that self-publishing is the way to go before traditional publishing and that self-published books sometimes get re-published by big publishers. Rarely, but it happens. A friend of mine who is in the final stages of self-publishing his book told me that all the publishers he approached told him to gain readership through self-publishing first, then talk to him later. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Awesome WAHM

Actually, it's very much NOT the case that self publishing means you can never ever ever go with a publisher any more.

Hugh Howey and Andy Weir both self published books then got major deals with those books. Admittedly, they're exceptional writers, but it isn't the case any more that "You self published" is a permanent black mark that will make sure nobody ever looks at you as anything but an amateur.

HOWEVER.

Self publishing right will cost you about $1k for a novel, and a lot of time and aggro. You have to be willing to put in that 1k on the assumption you won't get it back (It often takes 4-5 books to get noticed, and each of them cost about that). You have to produce a quality product AND advertise it AND be patient...

A small press will pay for editing and cover art for you then take it out the back end, but you'll still have to advertise it and be patient and lucky.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I haven't been on here in a while so I thought I would pop on today. I realize this is an older thread but hope my answer can help someone.

YES self publishing is absolutely the way to go. Why waste time chasing down a traditional publisher when you can publish yourself and potentially make more money. Now keep in mind by Indie publishing I mean writing the book and publishing it on online platforms like Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc. and marketing it or outsourcing some of these skills. I do not mean vanity press publishing where you pay someone to produce your books. As an Indie publisher, you can also produce physical copies using Createspace and audio books. The publishing world is at your fingertips!

I started self-publishing a few years ago. I can put out a book for the cost of a cover, formatting and an editor. You can find cover makers on Fiverr for a few bucks. I use word and a paid formatting tool thats $37 for 100 formats. You can also do it yourself. The biggest expense is an editor. I pay around $150 for editor for a short story. So total cost a few hundred bucks.

Next you upload on Amazon and then get the word out. I used free platforms when I started out, graduated to some paid ads. Now I've grown my email list to the point where I don't do much advertising at all.

So how far can you go? I hit the USA Today Best Seller list last year. I make a full time income at it. I have plenty of peers that make a huge living at it! Many of the top names in Amazon's store are author friends doing exactly what I do - Indie Publishing.

It's very affordable to get started. It's very gratifying. It can be very profitable.

To start here are some tips...

1. Fiction rules for digital books (I used to write non-fiction which did well but no comparison to fiction)
2. Study different genres to see what is marketable.
3. Do expect to write several books before you make money...I gave away my first book to attract readers and then many paid for the next ones in the series (6 books in all in my first series which still make me money after several years).
4. Do write to entertain...that's what people want.
5. Do engage your readers and be sure to BUILD YOUR EMAIL LIST! When I send a notice to my readers about a new book I sell several hundred copies right off the bat.
6. Hone your craft and put out a quality product.
7. Connect with other authors to promote, engage and learn from.

Good luck!

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 08-10-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Awesome WAHM

That's some great advise from LilBlackDress.

I want to add that there are also a number of print on demand services you can use. Your profits aren't as high as you get on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. But it is an option to consider when you're looking for a variety of self publishing platforms.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Registered WAHM

While not having been published under my own name, I have had work published as a ghostwriter.
However, I have a friend who's a prolific writer. She self-publishes through Amazon and has close to 30 different books and stories published. At the start it's very hard but Amazon do offer 2 free books to help you and there's tons of other material online you can use.

Whether you self publish or go through a traditional method, decide what YOU want.
Do you want physical books? There are higher costs but, if successful, you gain recognition.

If you self-publish, it's cheaper, depending on how you do it. But, as lilblackdress mentioned, always use a good editor because you won't see all your mistakes. I am NOT saying that because I'm an editor. It's just a known fact.

I wish you well.