Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Wow, just got fired from WritersDomain. Maybe it's time to give up freelance writing?

I never realized how much abandoning reviews was hurting my rating on the platform. Sometimes I was too busy with other endeavors to make the changes that editors had requested, and sometimes I didn't even see the review e-mail. Getting fired from a content mill isn't exactly the best of signs and I am feeling pretty ****ty about it. This is bottom of the barrel writing (although WritersDomain are one of the "premium" content mills), and I have still been deemed not good enough. I know abandoning review requests played a big part in that, but still. Are setbacks like this one part of the life of a freelance writer? Or is it a definite sign that I am simply not good enough to make it as a writer? Self-esteem is pretty damn low right now, especially considering WD was a great source of income for me when no other clients were available to write for.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Grand WAHM

Try not to let it get you down. There are lots of other opportunities out there.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 AM
WAHM Regular

I suppose posting a recent example of my work might be a good step in identifying if I have any ability at all as a writer. I completed this for a client on Upwork today. He gave me very good feedback, but it would be interesting to know what other writers think.

http://journoportfolio.s3-website-eu...972427fa72.pdf
Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Don't let it get you down. Just keep applying to other private clients or content mills. It's pretty much the life of a freelance writer. When I first started, I was told all of my medical work was too technical medical and not engaging. I was basically told to give up. Today, I have many private clients and mills that would disagree with that.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Awesome WAHM

Don't think like that. Don't give up on writing. When one door closes, another one opens. I used to write for WD and got let go a few years ago and better things came my way. Never give up!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
WAHM Fanatic

it's Writers Domain. I honestly didn't even know they were still around! So no, don't let this get you down. Go find some private clients. Any time I reach out on Craigslist, I end up with more work than I can handle, usually for around ten cents a word. There are so many clients out there who will pay for quality work. Feel sorry for yourself for a day and then start marketing your services to private clients. You'll probably look back on this day and be glad it happened!
Old 03-26-2016, 01:04 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernansmom View Post
it's Writers Domain. I honestly didn't even know they were still around! So no, don't let this get you down. Go find some private clients. Any time I reach out on Craigslist, I end up with more work than I can handle, usually for around ten cents a word. There are so many clients out there who will pay for quality work. Feel sorry for yourself for a day and then start marketing your services to private clients. You'll probably look back on this day and be glad it happened!
Thank you for your encouraging response. I think because I have no formal training as a writer I kind of undervalued myself and went straight for the content mills. They provided a steady stream of income, but the vast majority of people who make a livable wage in this field seem to do so with your suggestion of finding private clients.

For Craigslist, is it relevant whether or not I am from America? Or are these jobs typically location independent? I'm assuming the suggestion is to check Craigslist in major U.S cities and start pitching to clients? Is that how it works?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Awesome WAHM

Don't give up. You'd always find better opportunities. For the long-term, it makes sense to invest in your own site though. It wouldn't be profitable immediately, but certainly, if you keep adding a few articles on your own website and continue to do freelance writing as well, you'd build up a backup residual income source for the long term.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:17 AM
WAHM Regular

As long as you have samples of your writing that potential clients like, it doesn't matter where you're from. They just want to see what you can do for them.

It really helps your professional image to have a writer website. You can post your portfolio on it, tell what types of content you do, a little about yourself and your rates.

If you don't want to put together a website yet, get a portfolio set up on Contently or a similar site. Most of the time it's free. And it will have a small area for info about your business: your niche, rates, etc.

It's really worth it to get an online presence of some sort. Gives you credibility and makes it easier for clients to find you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro1990 View Post

For Craigslist, is it relevant whether or not I am from America? Or are these jobs typically location independent? I'm assuming the suggestion is to check Craigslist in major U.S cities and start pitching to clients? Is that how it works?

Last edited by WritingFun; 03-26-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro1990 View Post
I never realized how much abandoning reviews was hurting my rating on the platform. Sometimes I was too busy with other endeavors to make the changes that editors had requested, and sometimes I didn't even see the review e-mail. Getting fired from a content mill isn't exactly the best of signs and I am feeling pretty ****ty about it. This is bottom of the barrel writing (although WritersDomain are one of the "premium" content mills), and I have still been deemed not good enough. I know abandoning review requests played a big part in that, but still. Are setbacks like this one part of the life of a freelance writer? Or is it a definite sign that I am simply not good enough to make it as a writer? Self-esteem is pretty damn low right now, especially considering WD was a great source of income for me when no other clients were available to write for.
Wow, how many reviews were you abandoning?

I'm sure your writing is fine, but making revisions is a huge part of being a successful writer. Private clients also want revisions, and you can't just ignore their requests or not check your emails.